Difference between kevlar, carbon fibre, and kevlar/carbon mix heads on pads?

discussion of the snarescience.com PracticePad

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

I'mMe Offline
noob
noob

Difference between kevlar, carbon fibre, and kevlar/carbon mix heads on pads?

Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:04 pm

I'm ordering a ******* pad and I was wondering about the difference in feel. I've been playing on evans system blue Kevlar/Carbon heads mostly so I don't know the main differences in feel between different heads. Is there a major difference, and if so, which should I order? Thanks in advance.

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Difference between kevlar, carbon fibre, and kevlar/carbon mix heads on pads?

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:27 pm

There's no major difference - Kevlar/carbon fiber/mylar, whatever, anecdotally they all pretty much feel the same. I've played on several and never noticed a big difference.

The notion that a kevlar laminate feels like a kevlar drumhead any more than mylar or other plastics is sort of ludicrous... mainly because a laminate is not a membrane stretched over a bearing edge under tension like a drumhead is, rather it's plastic glued down to rubber. There's no tension, so it's by nature not going to respond like a drumhead. This is the same for all pads. It's a different surface than a drum.

I'd just go with an Invader, with a laminate if you'd like, because they'll always outlive (X) pads.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

MrSirEric Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: Difference between kevlar, carbon fibre, and kevlar/carbon mix heads on pads?

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:10 pm

There is absolutely no difference in feel. It's all aesthetic. A ******* with a Kevlar "head" is going to feel exactly the same as one without. The only pad where that will ever make a difference is a drumslinger pad, but it's pretty obvious why that is
Cedar Park High School
'15: Bass 4
'16 - '18: Snare

University of North Texas
'19: Snare

"I can't sit down long enough to absorb any kind of learning." ~Buddy Rich