Ahead practice pads?

discussion of the snarescience.com PracticePad

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

drums4drums Offline
noob
noob

Ahead practice pads?

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:29 pm

Has anyone checked out the new Ahead snare pads? Also the Ahead tenor pad? Any thoughts or comments?

dunklee Offline
noob
noob

Re: Ahead practice pads?

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:10 am

drums4drums wrote:Has anyone checked out the new Ahead snare pads? Also the Ahead tenor pad? Any thoughts or comments?
it almost looks like that old scojo ******* pad from like '06 with the met and everything but just strapped to your leg
'14 THS Snare
'15 THS Center Snare

PsychGuy274 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:14 pm

I just bought an Ahead snare pad and I think it cost $65. So far I love it. Nice sound, really responsive. Well just have to see how it holds up over time. Great quality.
-----

Yes, I'm cop and yes, I drum. No, nothing I say is legal advice.

PsychGuy274 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:26 pm

UPDATE:

I've had the pad for about a week and a half and the head has already cracked severely. This is just with normal use and not sitting there banging the crap out of it. I put probably about 30 hours of play time on it before the head was ruined completely.

I would stay away from this brand if I were you. Get a ******* or something similar instead.
-----

Yes, I'm cop and yes, I drum. No, nothing I say is legal advice.

jplovesthequads Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:44 pm

I thought Ahead had a bad rep over things like this haha..
PPCHS-Bass/Quads/Snare '10-'13
MGAMB- Snare '12
FSU Big 8- Quads '14-15

TheBrokenNut Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:42 pm

I went to sam ash today and they had a pad with the snare beads for a little under $40. I think they are great and affordable for beginners or a good alternatives to those who dont want to drop a Bergman on a ******* pad

flyingfuzz11 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:38 pm

I was at my local drum shop a couple weeks ago and the staff had an Ahead snare pad sitting on the counter that they'd been playing around with. I asked about them and they said they got 3 in and had already sold the other 2. They offered to give me the one they'd been playing on for $30 since it was slightly used so I snatched it up. It's an ok pad in terms of feel and responsiveness, but it's HEAVY AS HELL and has some kind of metal or ceramic rim that just eats my sticks alive. It mostly sits around while I use my VF heavy hitter pad with a laminate which I think sounds and feels better. I'm glad I didn't pay full price and can't really say that I recommend you do either.
CCHS Snare 2005-2008
University of Akron Snare 2008
Canton Charge Snare 2014

The_Drumline_Life Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:47 pm

flyingfuzz11 wrote:I was at my local drum shop a couple weeks ago and the staff had an Ahead snare pad sitting on the counter that they'd been playing around with. I asked about them and they said they got 3 in and had already sold the other 2. They offered to give me the one they'd been playing on for $30 since it was slightly used so I snatched it up. It's an ok pad in terms of feel and responsiveness, but it's HEAVY AS HELL and has some kind of metal or ceramic rim that just eats my sticks alive. It mostly sits around while I use my VF heavy hitter pad with a laminate which I think sounds and feels better. I'm glad I didn't pay full price and can't really say that I recommend you do either.
The rim is made of metal... ahead makes metal drumsticks too
Image Mayonaisse is indeed an instrument

Anything I post represents, my, and only my personal beliefs, and does not speak for any group, or business, I am affiliated with, may be affiliated with in the future, or have been affiliated with in the past.

Snare Playa Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:54 pm

Gravedig, much?

On topic: I have never played the Ahead practice pad.
Hey you, reading this; if you currently don't have a Snarescience account, please feel free to make one and join the conversation. It's free and only takes a minute!

HS
'14: Bass 3
'15: Snare

'18 Carolina Crown Hopeful

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:11 am

Playing on this pad is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike playing on a real drum.
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:10 am

Just get a V3 and be done with it. These things would survive a nuclear holocaust
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

thelimper15 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:45 pm

VoteLobster wrote:Just get a V3 and be done with it. These things would survive a nuclear holocaust
So true. Though the darkmatter surface could dry out and generate small cracks without proper care. The heads on the Ahead pad are replaceable, while the V3's surface isn't. Still a great pad, though.
MCHS Snare- 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
Gold Snare- 2017

FlamburgerHelper Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:21 pm

If you're referring to the Ahead pads with the snare sound, they have very crappy durability. I was disappointed that the pad's components were plastic, and the carbon fiber laminate breaks really easily. The Invader is bulletproof if you polish it, but you could get a ******* pad if you don't like maintenance, but the downside can be the turnaround time.

mattmattduck Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:41 pm

They seem just like chepaer versions of ******* pads. Im not sure how good of a copy they are as ive never played on one, but ******* makes some pretty incredible pads.
2013 OCHS Snare
2014 OCHS Snare
2015 OCHS Center Snare

Flam Tap Zydeco Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:44 am

I think I might know the answer but what is a ***** pad, and what is the significance of calling it a ***** pad?

Flam Tap Zydeco Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:54 am

I do own a couple V3's. It is a decent pad with enough rebound to make you think the stick will end up stuck in the ceiling if you don't hang on to it. The articulation is okay, too. However, they don't sound very good in the videos I see posted to YouTube. I wouldn't recommend it for practicing concert rolls. It is way too hard for that, and the surface is a little sticky. You would have to press too hard to get any buzz out of it. To practice a lighter touch I still like the ancient Remo pad with the real head on it.

mattmattduck Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:55 pm

Flam Tap Zydeco wrote:I think I might know the answer but what is a ***** pad, and what is the significance of calling it a ***** pad?
oh woops sorry i typed ******* but apparently thats a curse word?
2013 OCHS Snare
2014 OCHS Snare
2015 OCHS Center Snare

Flam Tap Zydeco Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:48 pm

mattmattduck wrote:
Flam Tap Zydeco wrote:I think I might know the answer but what is a ***** pad, and what is the significance of calling it a ***** pad?

IDK? I am the noob. It was a serious question and not a complaint. ******* is a forbidden curse word here? Or is there some inside joke like a Maxi reference? lol

Flam Tap Zydeco Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:53 pm

Flam Tap Zydeco wrote:
mattmattduck wrote:

IDK? I am the noob. It was a serious question and not a complaint. ******* is a forbidden curse word here? Or is there some inside joke like a Maxi reference? lol

Okay, it doesn't take an old noob long. Type ******* with a "X" and it gets auto moderated so I tried a "Z" this time.

mattmattduck Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:13 pm

Okay, it doesn't take an old noob long. Type ******* with a "X" and it gets auto moderated so I tried a "Z" this time.[/quote]

okay what the heck, it keeps on filtering it... i meant to type ******* okay if that still gets moderated here is a link to their site so you know what im talking about.
https://www.xymoxpercussion.com/product ... -pads.html
2013 OCHS Snare
2014 OCHS Snare
2015 OCHS Center Snare