Concerning Christianity

discuss and debate ideas and issues in a respectful manner

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Oprah Winfrey Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Concerning Christianity

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:55 pm

On another thread, it was pointed out that conversations about religion should be non-confrontational. I agree, in general, (though there are some religious practices which I think require confrontation). Incidentally, here's my contribution to the conversation about Christianity. It's presented by a professor of New Testament studies at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. There is no rabid anti-Christian rhetoric, and there is no discussion of whether Christianity is right, wrong, good or bad. This lecture is simply a presentation of facts about 1st-century Christianity, for what it's worth.

Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfheSAcCsrE

TheKingofNone Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Concerning Christianity

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:39 pm

Christ, that's a really long video. But I totally agree with the point, that people take the bible way too seriously and don't realize what you read needs to be taken with a grain of salt. It's pretty widely accepted that yeah, Jesus did exist in history, but many people, especially down here in the south, take every syllable of the holy book and recognize it as absolute fact, from the great flood, the trials of Job, the turning of water into wine, etc. Of course, as most southern (baptist) Christians adhere, yeah, the prophets in the Old testament are great, and the million letters in the new testament are well and good (though everyone loves Revelations, eh?), but the most important part of Christianity lies in just four chapters, the gospel. It's just so hard to believe in what you can't prove to be fact sometimes. Am I a Christian? I'd say yes, to a sense. But do I believe Jesus fasted for 40 days and was tempted by Satan? Or turned a couple fish and loaves of bread into food for thousands? Crazy as it may seem, I'm a bit skeptical. Religion truly is faith, which for some, including me, is hard to find. I think more people should come to understand stuff like this. When I have more time I do intend to watch the full extent of that video you posted, but thanks for sharing it. This is how to show you're an intelligent guy/gal without sounding like a dick lol ;D
You cant just 'hit' a drum; you have to beat the s*** out of it. ~Eric Cartman

GSUS '15

I'm that guy who says he'll try out for drum corps next year and never does.
But I'm totally gonna try to march Alliance this summer.

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:13 pm

TheKingofNone wrote:Christ, that's a really long video. But I totally agree with the point, that people take the bible way too seriously and don't realize what you read needs to be taken with a grain of salt. It's pretty widely accepted that yeah, Jesus did exist in history, but many people, especially down here in the south, take every syllable of the holy book and recognize it as absolute fact, from the great flood, the trials of Job, the turning of water into wine, etc. Of course, as most southern (baptist) Christians adhere, yeah, the prophets in the Old testament are great, and the million letters in the new testament are well and good (though everyone loves Revelations, eh?), but the most important part of Christianity lies in just four chapters, the gospel. It's just so hard to believe in what you can't prove to be fact sometimes. Am I a Christian? I'd say yes, to a sense. But do I believe Jesus fasted for 40 days and was tempted by Satan? Or turned a couple fish and loaves of bread into food for thousands? Crazy as it may seem, I'm a bit skeptical. Religion truly is faith, which for some, including me, is hard to find. I think more people should come to understand stuff like this. When I have more time I do intend to watch the full extent of that video you posted, but thanks for sharing it. This is how to show you're an intelligent guy/gal without sounding like a dick lol ;D

Legitimate question to the OP though. You do know this is a drumming website right?
Legends DBC Front Ensemble
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Cowbell- "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK-WHACK"......Spaaaalat. "Cut!" Do it again!

TheKingofNone Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:46 pm

I mean, it is in the Religion/Politics section of the forum dedicated to these types of threads. These few that have popped up the last week are like the only ones I've seen in quite a while.

GSUS '15

Oprah Winfrey Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:24 pm

TheKingofNone wrote:Legitimate question to the OP though. You do know this is a drumming website right?
I do.

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:41 pm

And I know you can post whatever you want. Its just odd for people to pop up without drumming questions.
Legends DBC Front Ensemble
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Cowbell- "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK-WHACK"......Spaaaalat. "Cut!" Do it again!

Oprah Winfrey Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:27 am

Totally understood. It's up to you if you wanna watch the video or not. I suspect that most anybody would find at least one or two of the topics he discusses interesting.

And I am a drummer, fwiw.

jplovesthequads Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:39 pm

Did Jesus play snare or tenors? Maybe neither, perhaps he was a bass player.
PPCHS-Bass/Quads/Snare '10-'13
MGAMB- Snare '12
FSU Big 8- Quads '14-15

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:39 am

jplovesthequads wrote:Did Jesus play snare or tenors? Maybe neither, perhaps he was a bass player.
He played tri-toms.

You know, because of the trinity.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

Bassnare Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:56 pm

Jesus looks like a bass guitar guy to me.

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:41 pm

Idk. I know Christians are really into cymbalism.

Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.

TheKingofNone Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:35 pm

I'd say temple blocks.

GSUS '15

Oprah Winfrey Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:56 pm

Imagine how many sticks he could hold with those holes in his hands.