discuss and debate ideas and issues in a respectful manner

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

IKEline13 Offline
noob
noob

Life after death?

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:46 pm

Hey guys,
I am a christian and i completely beleive that when someone dies and they confess to God and Jesus, they go to heaven. But lets pretend for just a second that wasn't true. What would happen when we die? I just find it hard to beleive you would go into a dark oblivion with no thoughts for all time, but if there was no God or higher power, would that be the brutal truth? Just curious to see what everyone thinks cause i have no idea either.

Thanks everyone!
12'-13' (8 grd.) Pit - Fusion
13'-14' (Fresh.) Drumline-Tenors - Rhythm,Sound,Spirit
14'-15' (Soph.) Drumline-Cpt.-Tenors - Pandora Reopened

Nathan Aaron Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: Life after death?

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:22 pm

Well not only would there be no thoughts, there would be no consciousness. No...sentient. Since you wouldn't exist, you wouldn't even know you weren't existing because you don't exist. It's a scary thought to think of an infinite and permanent death, though. It's funny...in our human mental powers, we are unable to have the ability to even conceive in our mind what it would be like for our consciousness to die. When we imagine dying, we still imagine us being buried or turning into a ghost or what have you. But it's impossible to imagine what it would be like for your consciousness--your mental thoughts, your ability to know that you exists, etc--to stop existing. When we think of dying, we still somehow place our consciousness in that equation.
Crazy stuff man.

Look at Dwight. He doesn't know either.
'11-'14 Fall Snare
'13 Winter Snare
'14 Winter -Tacet
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Moral of the story, if you want others to enjoy and play your creations, write them so normal people can play them.
http://nathanaaronphotography.wordpress.com/

TheKingofNone Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:07 pm

This is one of those philosophical questions that I think about at 2 in the morning not able to sleep lol. And no one knows, obviously. So I think it's best not to think about stuff like that lol xD no one wants to think about the depressing thought that you will end and possibly for good, depending on your faith.
You cant just 'hit' a drum; you have to beat the s*** out of it. ~Eric Cartman

GSUS '15

I'm that guy who says he'll try out for drum corps next year and never does.
But I'm totally gonna try to march Alliance this summer.

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:37 pm

The person who can tell us for sure will be the most important person in human history
Legends DBC Front Ensemble
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Cowbell- "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK-WHACK"......Spaaaalat. "Cut!" Do it again!

IKEline13 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:45 pm

It is a scary yet interesting thought isn't it? The only problem i have with just not exsisting is that you come all the way through your life learning so much through all of your experiences, just to become.... Well just nothing. Haha but thats why i beleive in a higher power. If there was no religion, there would really be no motivation to be good since you know that when you die you go into a black nothingness. So as a result of no good, the world i think would be anarchy. There would be no moral rules. Everyone would just be fighting to survive. And worste of all... There would be no drum corps!!!!!!!!! :0:0:0:0

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:27 pm

IKEline13 wrote:It is a scary yet interesting thought isn't it? The only problem i have with just not exsisting is that you come all the way through your life learning so much through all of your experiences, just to become.... Well just nothing. Haha but thats why i beleive in a higher power. If there was no religion, there would really be no motivation to be good since you know that when you die you go into a black nothingness. So as a result of no good, the world i think would be anarchy. There would be no moral rules. Everyone would just be fighting to survive. And worste of all... There would be no drum corps!!!!!!!!! :0:0:0:0
I don't think that the thought of nothingness makes life meaningless. People would still make the most of their time here. Either that or off themselves
Legends DBC Front Ensemble
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Cowbell- "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK-WHACK"......Spaaaalat. "Cut!" Do it again!

IKEline13 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:54 pm

Thats true too. Ultimately we don't and won't know since it just not the world we live in.

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Re:

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:11 pm

If this is all there is........I want my money back!! :lol:
Husband, Dad, Music Educator, Drummer

jplovesthequads Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:57 pm

We'll just cease to exist and not be able to think. Just be in a sort of sleep until someone figures out how to raise the dead and bring us back. It's all good.
PPCHS-Bass/Quads/Snare '10-'13
MGAMB- Snare '12
FSU Big 8- Quads '14-15

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:11 pm

jplovesthequads wrote:We'll just cease to exist and not be able to think. Just be in a sort of sleep until someone figures out how to raise the dead and bring us back. It's all good.
Someone already has "figured out" how to raise the dead. That's the Good news. :D
Husband, Dad, Music Educator, Drummer

TheKingofNone Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:14 pm

Well, I hardly think George Romero actually raised the dead, rather used make up... lol ;D
You cant just 'hit' a drum; you have to beat the s*** out of it. ~Eric Cartman

GSUS '15

I'm that guy who says he'll try out for drum corps next year and never does.
But I'm totally gonna try to march Alliance this summer.

TheOkayGatsby Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:52 am

The way I see it there is as much a chance that nothing happens when we die that something happens when we die. But the thought that nothing happens when we die can be really scary for some people. Although it isn't really a scary for thought for me (I don't know maybe it's because I'm still young) I can completely understand why it can be terrifying for other people. That is why I really don't care what other people think happens when you die, usually it is tied to their Religion and I'm not going to try to force my thoughts on them just because I Think I know more then them because honestly I'm not sure myself what happens when you die, I don't really have a set philosophy on it yet because no religion ties into my views on life and the universe, maybe I'll figure out what I believe one day but until then I don't really care. Basicially I'm saying there is no reason to spend time arguing over what happens because none of us truly know I think we should all just figure out what makes us feel best and live like that because then we'll live happier lives, why live angry or sad when you could be happy? Happiness is self fulfilling.
Dig past the surface of life and you'll live fuller.

Forza East Independent (PIO) 2014- Cymbals