Universe like a computer?

discuss and debate ideas and issues in a respectful manner

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

ajcf1995 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Universe like a computer?

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:37 pm

It sure makes everything in life start to make sense. Of course this is just a theory, but it's quite interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8a4RAKuaRI
lesterroyer wrote: This comes second to setting my instructors truck on fire. I hated that guy.
jbohan6 wrote:Gotta play with some sack.
Mt. Vernon Highschool
"On Display"-Alto Sax 2010
"Defend The Shield"-Tenors 2012
"Heroes"-Tenors 2012-13 indoor

ajcf1995 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: Universe like a computer?

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:08 pm

I thought this would've started good conversations
lesterroyer wrote: This comes second to setting my instructors truck on fire. I hated that guy.
Mt. Vernon Highschool

Cubee Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:06 pm

http://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html

An Oxford philosopher's take on the idea. It's an interesting idea, but the guy you linked to is just crazy

quote from some dude on reddit:

"If it's possible to simulate a universe, then there could be a potentially infinite number of simulated universes within any real universe. That could include simulations being directly in the real universe, and also possibly simulations within simulations within simulations. Just statistically, the odds that you would find yourself in the one real universe instead of one of the simulations would be, if you'll excuse the pun, virtually nonexistent.
So if you accept the possibility of such simulations ever existing, then there's basically no reason to think we aren't in one, since it's by far the more likely proposition if they can exist."
Q

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:41 pm

What?
Husband, Dad, Music Educator, Drummer

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:43 am

Spirit Snare 80 wrote:What?
Basically the theory is some super-programmer wrote a 'program' (think of some giant multiplayer role-playing video game) and the universe is the program. The only difference between an MMORPG and this simulation-program is that it's 999999 times larger and the characters are actually sentient. So basically we're living in a computer simulation and the universe is just a bunch of lines of code running. It's a stretch, but it's a theory that has gained more and more attention as our information technology has become more advanced, and therefore more able to do things like simulation programs.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

ajcf1995 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:27 pm

Cubee wrote:http://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html

An Oxford philosopher's take on the idea. It's an interesting idea, but the guy you linked to is just crazy

quote from some dude on reddit:

"If it's possible to simulate a universe, then there could be a potentially infinite number of simulated universes within any real universe. That could include simulations being directly in the real universe, and also possibly simulations within simulations within simulations. Just statistically, the odds that you would find yourself in the one real universe instead of one of the simulations would be, if you'll excuse the pun, virtually nonexistent.
So if you accept the possibility of such simulations ever existing, then there's basically no reason to think we aren't in one, since it's by far the more likely proposition if they can exist."
he's not crazy bro
Mt. Vernon Highschool