Evolution Refuted!

discuss and debate ideas and issues in a respectful manner

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Short1 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Evolution Refuted!

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:31 pm

Alright folks, here's the latest from the wacky side of 'science'..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8VCunAk ... e=youtu.be

Major assumptions made:

1) The theory of evolution also includes abiogenesis. Because we haven't perfectly nailed down abiogenesis, it's all wrong.
2) You have to add genetic information to evolve into a man. Well.. no because with a four letter genetic code, a mutation can occur and really anything can happen. And as mentioned by a comment on the video, an amoeba has far more genetic material than a man which puts a hole in the idea that more genetic material= greater complexity.

I don't know a lot about evolution.. but I used to buy into that crap O_O

40% of our nation believes this crap. It makes me want to learn more and go do something about it. I've had numerous discussions with people on my Facebook about evolution and they're just dead set on the idea that scientists are conspiring and ignoring their ideas. But no.. they're just bad ideas.

The ending is hilarious too.

(Well, I just realized this has nothing to do with religion or politics.. lol)

Chance Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: Evolution Refuted!

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:28 am

Short1 wrote:(Well, I just realized this has nothing to do with religion or politics.. lol)
In an ideal world, it shouldn't. But, evangelicals can't differentiate well enough between science and religion so they entangle the two, and since such a large percentage of our population buys into it you can't ignore it.

Short1 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:54 pm

Chance, you teach Biology, right? Do you ever see any politics going on or get pressure from people about creationist ideas?

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Re:

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:05 pm

Short1 wrote:Chance, you teach Biology, right? Do you ever see any politics going on or get pressure from people about creationist ideas?

The word 'creationist' makes me angry. I'm sorry to be nit-picky. People tend to generalize creationists as only Young-Earth creationists, as if creationism is and only is the belief that the world is 8,000-10,000 years old. First of all, according to this, 44% of the US public accepts YEC beliefs. Second of all, creationism is simply the idea that the universe/earth/life are creation(s) of a supernatural being.. Nothing more, nothing less. There are plenty of Christians that support evolution, as well as many Christians that support an old Earth, somewhere around 4-5 billion years old.

Sorry for citing Wikipedia, if you're that kind of person. If you find an error, I'd be glad to look into it.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:26 am

VoteLobster wrote:
Short1 wrote:Chance, you teach Biology, right? Do you ever see any politics going on or get pressure from people about creationist ideas?

The word 'creationist' makes me angry. I'm sorry to be nit-picky. People tend to generalize creationists as only Young-Earth creationists, as if creationism is and only is the belief that the world is 8,000-10,000 years old. First of all, according to this, 44% of the US public accepts YEC beliefs. Second of all, creationism is simply the idea that the universe/earth/life are creation(s) of a supernatural being.. Nothing more, nothing less. There are plenty of Christians that support evolution, as well as many Christians that support an old Earth, somewhere around 4-5 billion years old.

Sorry for citing Wikipedia, if you're that kind of person. If you find an error, I'd be glad to look into it.

Wrong.

Creationists do NOT support evolution. You're using the word creationist as interchangeable with "christian", which isn't the case.

Chance Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:59 pm

Yeah I kinda have to agree that the word creationist usually rules out evolution. There are those who think in terms of theistic evolution, but they are not creationists.

As for the question about politics, yes, alas. There will likely always be politics involved in education as long as we have locally controlled school boards. Almost invariably, any time you hear about some controversy involving science education, it stems from the local school board. School board members are rarely educators - they are doctors, lawyers, dentists, and any local person popular enough to be elected. These boards have a remarkable amount of power over education and sometimes they exert that power in an inappropriate way, like trying to shape curriculum. Of course the problem with evolution and creationism in public schools doesn't solely exist with school boards. Disturbingly, there are a number of science teachers here in Arkansas who teach creationism instead of evolution, completely in violate of the law. When I was a high school student, one of my biology teachers didn't teach creationism, but she refused to teach evolution. I have a feeling there are a ton of teachers around here just avoid the topic altogether, to the detriment of their students. I don't understand how someone is supposed to be able to understand biology without understanding the reason for the diversity of life.

Anyway, I'm not sure if we'll ever be able to de-politicize education, not the way we currently approach it in this country.

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:18 pm

TVOham wrote:
VoteLobster wrote:

Wrong.

Creationists do NOT support evolution. You're using the word creationist as interchangeable with "christian", which isn't the case.
Actually I was implying (and if I wasn't, I am now) that creationist does not mean Christian. A Christian can be a creationist, a Muslim can, and even those on the boat of a non-personal god can. A creationist can support macroevolution. But when you get into the more prominent groups of creationists, (I.E. Christians), many of them have stances for or against macroevolution. As said earlier, all that being a creationist means is that you believe a God/deity/supernatural entity created the universe, earth, life, etc. I'm sorry if my previous post was misleading. This is my stance on the matter.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

Short1 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:06 am

VoteLobster wrote: Actually I was implying (and if I wasn't, I am now) that creationist does not mean Christian. A Christian can be a creationist, a Muslim can, and even those on the boat of a non-personal god can. A creationist can support macroevolution. But when you get into the more prominent groups of creationists, (I.E. Christians), many of them have stances for or against macroevolution. As said earlier, all that being a creationist means is that you believe a God/deity/supernatural entity created the universe, earth, life, etc. I'm sorry if my previous post was misleading. This is my stance on the matter.
I see what you're saying, but I think the way Creationist is used in society almost always means a history denier. Technically you are correct about the word meaning ID people in general, but the word is used differently by people to talk about someone who denies evolution.

I don't think an Old Earth Creationist would want to be lumped in with the word 'creationist.' It's just how society uses the word.

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:39 am

Short1 wrote:
VoteLobster wrote: Actually I was implying (and if I wasn't, I am now) that creationist does not mean Christian. A Christian can be a creationist, a Muslim can, and even those on the boat of a non-personal god can. A creationist can support macroevolution. But when you get into the more prominent groups of creationists, (I.E. Christians), many of them have stances for or against macroevolution. As said earlier, all that being a creationist means is that you believe a God/deity/supernatural entity created the universe, earth, life, etc. I'm sorry if my previous post was misleading. This is my stance on the matter.
I see what you're saying, but I think the way Creationist is used in society almost always means a history denier. Technically you are correct about the word meaning ID people in general, but the word is used differently by people to talk about someone who denies evolution.

I don't think an Old Earth Creationist would want to be lumped in with the word 'creationist.' It's just how society uses the word.

Exactly. My in-a-nutshell point is that the word 'Creationist' is often misused and over-generalized to a minority. I think we'll just have to live with it.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:26 am

VoteLobster wrote:
TVOham wrote:
VoteLobster wrote:Chance, you teach Biology, right? Do you ever see any politics going on or get pressure from people about creationist ideas?

Wrong.

Actually I was implying (and if I wasn't, I am now) that creationist does not mean Christian. A Christian can be a creationist, a Muslim can, and even those on the boat of a non-personal god can. A creationist can support macroevolution. But when you get into the more prominent groups of creationists, (I.E. Christians), many of them have stances for or against macroevolution. As said earlier, all that being a creationist means is that you believe a God/deity/supernatural entity created the universe, earth, life, etc. I'm sorry if my previous post was misleading. This is my stance on the matter.

I understood exactly what you meant, but you're wrong.. The definition of "creationist" is " the literal belief in the account of Creation given in the Book of Genesis". That rules out ANY type of evolution. In fact, they use evolution as essentially a bad word and prefer to use "adaptation". A creationist is not muslim because they use a different holy book entirely. Your definition basically fits the term "theist" rather than "creationist".

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:58 pm

TVOham wrote: I understood exactly what you meant, but you're wrong.. The definition of "creationist" is " the literal belief in the account of Creation given in the Book of Genesis". That rules out ANY type of evolution. In fact, they use evolution as essentially a bad word and prefer to use "adaptation". A creationist is not muslim because they use a different holy book entirely. Your definition basically fits the term "theist" rather than "creationist".
Ok. I've much more thought that creationist isn't that specific; I'd like to see where you get that definition, if you can find it.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

Short1 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:20 pm

When I enter 'creationist definition' into google the first few entries define it as being associated with a belief in the Genesis story.

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:11 am

^what Short said....

Every definition on Google says it....

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:13 am

http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/we ... reationism

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/creationism

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/creationism

^bit shaky on their definition, but even the shaky definition specifically says NO EVOLUTION.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/creationist

First ones that popped up on Google.

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:59 am

TVOham wrote:http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/we ... reationism

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/creationism

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/creationism

^bit shaky on their definition, but even the shaky definition specifically says NO EVOLUTION.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/creationist

First ones that popped up on Google.

Well I guess it's not really worth it arguing a definition. Ok. Thanks for finding those
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18