The Facebook posts about the recent shooting.

discuss and debate ideas and issues in a respectful manner

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 3 [ 53 posts ]
Short1 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

The Facebook posts about the recent shooting.

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:00 pm

Do these bother you? Do you think it's disrespectful for people to view the recent shootings in this way? What about the particular posts that say the kids are in the loving arms of Jesus?

I think they're entitled to say what they think about the matter, just as I am entitled to complain about idiot statements like "We should invite God back into our schools." It bugs me when people say "Why can't you just keep your views to yourself??" Seriously? Are we all supposed to sit in silence and not say a word? Telling someone else to shut up is idiotic when you yourself want just as badly to be heard. Let all speak and just respond to what you find appalling.

What's on your mind?

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Re:

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:12 pm

1.Gun Control is what is on my mind...and how absolutely f-ing stupid it is to own and have guns. There is not a human on the face of the earth who is smart enough, strong enough and selfless enough to own a gun. We are stupid, reactionary, greedy animals by nature, and guns do not fit into that equation in any way, shape, or form.

I know it will never happen, but all guns need to go. I hate the dim-witted, chicken-sh*t response of "Guns don't kill people...People Kill People". That is the biggest cop-out ever. Will we ever prevent humans from killing other humans? No. Why? See the bolded statement above. BUT, having a gun makes the decision to react much easier, and less personal. When you don't have to look into the eye of the person you are killing, and be a direct part of the experience of taking a life, the decision is very easy. It feeds into the reactionary nature of the incident or decision.

2. exploiting emotion and sensationalism. This is also something that is rampant in this country because, once again, of greed and sensationalism that is a driving force of American culture. EVerybody wants to be a part of this, or have a direct tie, becasue it is going to bring them attention. That is a huge insult in my mind to the real victims and people that were directly affected. I read of, and hear stories of people driving to the already inundated town of Newton to try to be part of the story, or to be able to brag about being there or having some connection, and it is sickening.

Do I feel sorrow and anger for what happened? Sure. Am I going to try to falsely tie myself to the situation for some kind of personal satisfaction...no way. I am a teacher. I teach younger kids...BUT that doesn't make it right for me to over-involve my self in the situation and try to bring some kind of undue sympathy or attention to me. This happened over the weekend at a family thing, where everyone was trying to fake involvement, and thought that I had some special kind of connection or answer to the situation. It drove me nuts, and I w as like "I Really don't know much about what happened."

And of course, all of the lame, pathetic losers like that stupid Baptist Church in Oklahoma or where ever have to chime in with some uber-controversial stance or statement to bring undue recognition to their cause.....AND IT WORKS! People freak out, and the churches web-site hits quadruple; their air-time goes up 10-fold.

end rant for now ...(and here is where Mpolarnkis comes on and tells me that I am stupid and weird for having these viewpoints, and I should just love a country where god lets this kind of stuff happens :wink: )
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

Chance Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: The Facebook posts about the recent shooting.

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:57 am

The whole idea that school shootings and other problems in schools is due to the fact that "we've rejected God from schools" is insane. And ridiculous. Anyone who believes in the traditional interpretation of the Christian God, that it is omnipotent and omnipresent, should know that you couldn't forcibly remove such a deity from anywhere.

These people erroneously complain that we don't allow kids to pray in schools and that's pure hogwash as well. Students at my school are free to pray whenever they wish as long as they aren't impeding the academic process. They have a meeting every Wednesday morning and it is student-organized and student-led. I guarantee students pray before my tests. These evangelicals don't want voluntary prayer for students who want to do it. They want mandatory prayer so that everyone conforms to their particular belief system. Screw the atheist, pagan, Wiccan, Jewish, and Buddhist students I have. Everyone must conform to Protestant Christianity. That's what they really want and that disgusts me.

My former governor, Mike Huckabee, stated on his show on Fox (of course) shortly after the shooting:
We ask why there is violence in our schools, but we’ve systematically removed God from our schools. Should we be so surprised that schools would become a place of carnage because we’ve made it a place where we don’t want to talk about eternity, life, what responsibility means, accountability? That we’re not just going to have to be accountable to the police, if they catch us. But one day, we will stand before a Holy God in judgment. If we don’t believe that, then we don’t fear that.
Yeah, that sounds like someone who needs to even be considered for president, or have ever been elected as a governor. It's this time of medieval mentality that would stagnate society and keep us in the stone age.

akfina Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:01 am

Life goes on is my only response to the shooting.
RHS Pit Xylophone '11-'12 "Phobias."
RHS Drumline Bass 1 '12-'13 "Rain."
RHS Drumline Bass 1 '13-'14 "Rampage."
RHS Drumline Bass 1 '14-'15 "Infected."

ottomagne Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:24 pm

Chance wrote:The whole idea that school shootings and other problems in schools is due to the fact that "we've rejected God from schools" is insane. And ridiculous. Anyone who believes in the traditional interpretation of the Christian God, that it is omnipotent and omnipresent, should know that you couldn't forcibly remove such a deity from anywhere.

These people erroneously complain that we don't allow kids to pray in schools and that's pure hogwash as well. Students at my school are free to pray whenever they wish as long as they aren't impeding the academic process. They have a meeting every Wednesday morning and it is student-organized and student-led. I guarantee students pray before my tests. These evangelicals don't want voluntary prayer for students who want to do it. They want mandatory prayer so that everyone conforms to their particular belief system. Screw the atheist, pagan, Wiccan, Jewish, and Buddhist students I have. Everyone must conform to Protestant Christianity. That's what they really want and that disgusts me.

My former governor, Mike Huckabee, stated on his show on Fox (of course) shortly after the shooting:
We ask why there is violence in our schools, but we’ve systematically removed God from our schools. Should we be so surprised that schools would become a place of carnage because we’ve made it a place where we don’t want to talk about eternity, life, what responsibility means, accountability? That we’re not just going to have to be accountable to the police, if they catch us. But one day, we will stand before a Holy God in judgment. If we don’t believe that, then we don’t fear that.
Yeah, that sounds like someone who needs to even be considered for president, or have ever been elected as a governor. It's this time of medieval mentality that would stagnate society and keep us in the stone age.
Oh boy. I wouldn't it's easy to upset me, but that last part of the Huckabee quote incited some legitimate anger in my soul. What a slap to the face of every teacher in the system (academic or not) to say that we don't teach responsibility or accountability. As if accountability to society shouldn't be taken seriously as accountability to some divine being is the only true goal in life.
ImageImage

Drum bandin' since twenty o' seven.

'10 '13
'11'13

jbohan6 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:48 pm

I didn't read any of the above comments, but on the original topic-

i think that there should always be a level of respect towards those who pass too early.But it shouldn't be this false sympathy just because everyone else you know is commenting on it.

Recently, a girl who went to the school down the road from mine, was found dead in a local pond, and it's suspected that it was suicide. I don't know all the details, but what i have noticed, is that all the people i go to school with, and the surrounding schools, all rallied after she died, saying how sweet and amazing she was. Key word: After. No one was there when she was probably dealing with depression and suicide bouts. They cared After she was gone. It's just sickening that people my age very rarely truly care, until it's socially accepted to show sympathy towards those that are dealing with depression and suicidal bouts, after they are gone.

As for the children in Newtown, it's absolutely awful what happened. I don't know much about all the details and sides on the discussion on Gun control and the laws on civilians owning firearms, but i personally believe that yes, civilians should be allowed to own firearms, but there should be some kind of psychological evaluation to determine whether or not a person is of sound mind to own a firearm. Crazy people shouldn't be allowed near anything that can cause harm.

I don't know, i'm just rambling. This is just some stuff that's come to mind.
"Binaries on the Tymp-Toms gettin' kinda' cloudy."

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:50 pm

jbohan6 wrote: Recently, a girl who went to the school down the road from mine, was found dead in a local pond, and it's suspected that it was suicide. I don't know all the details, but what i have noticed, is that all the people i go to school with, and the surrounding schools, all rallied after she died, saying how sweet and amazing she was. Key word: After. No one was there when she was probably dealing with depression and suicide bouts. They cared After she was gone. It's just sickening that people my age very rarely truly care, until it's socially accepted to show sympathy towards those that are dealing with depression and suicidal bouts, after they are gone.
#AmandaTodd
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage

akfina Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:55 pm

Chance wrote:The whole idea that school shootings and other problems in schools is due to the fact that "we've rejected God from schools" is insane. And ridiculous. Anyone who believes in the traditional interpretation of the Christian God, that it is omnipotent and omnipresent, should know that you couldn't forcibly remove such a deity from anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaWFAMtO ... -A&index=1

akfina Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:55 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaWFAMtO ... -A&index=1

M_Lee_K Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:39 pm

I despise these people posting about how emotionally traumatized they are by the shooting, when they have absolutely no tie to it. And as akfina said, life does go on. In a few months, America won't care. We won't change anything. We'll go on, and when the next tragedy happens, we'll mourn. The process repeats forever. Such happened with a kid at my school. He almost died in a car accident, and people rallied for about a week, then never spoke of him again. He's alive, but nobody knows about his condition because no one gives a *beep*. And its sad. In a month the only people that will care about Newtown are the parents and friends of the lost children. This is a horrible tragedy, and I hate that it happened to such innocence. But another tragedy worse than this is inevitable. It's inevitable because our media glorifies the killer, instead of the losses. And some sick *beep* will want to beat this guy.

End sporadic and enraged rant.

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:48 pm

God isn't in schools.
If we reinstated school prayer this wouldn't have happened. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just a dumb blasphemer who thinks man came from monkey.

akfina Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:55 pm

TVOham wrote:God isn't in schools.
If we reinstated school prayer this wouldn't have happened. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just a dumb blasphemer who thinks man came from monkey.
:B

flamtaps5 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re:

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:33 pm

@sxetdrumner, bad people will get their hands on guns banned or not. At the very least, those looking to attain a handgun, should have a liscence and undergo a full psychological analysis.

The people on facebook are fake as hell. The y make pages pretending to care about *bleep* that happen to get attention.
Josh
I play snare.

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Re: Re:

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:49 pm

flamtaps5 wrote:@sxetdrumner, bad people will get their hands on guns banned or not. At the very least, those looking to attain a handgun, should have a liscence and undergo a full psychological analysis.
yeah, I know my idea is unrealistic in this world. It is too late for that.

I do however, think that we could very easily add fingerprint ID technology to guns that would link the firing mechanism to only one owner. When you buy the gun, you imprint your fingerprint into a small microchip in the handle/barrel of the gun, and then any tine you want to fire it, you have to use your finger to unlock the firing mechanism. For guns with magazines, both the magazine and the gun have to have matching finger prints to work.
flamtaps5 wrote:The people on facebook are fake as hell. The y make pages pretending to care about *bleep* that happen to get attention.
don't get me started about the drama-encrusted insecurity based fantasy world that Facebook encourages...FAcebook is like a loaded gun itself in many cases
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

ottomagne Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:13 pm

sxetnrdrmr wrote:
flamtaps5 wrote:@sxetdrumner, bad people will get their hands on guns banned or not. At the very least, those looking to attain a handgun, should have a liscence and undergo a full psychological analysis.
yeah, I know my idea is unrealistic in this world. It is too late for that.

I do however, think that we could very easily add fingerprint ID technology to guns that would link the firing mechanism to only one owner. When you buy the gun, you imprint your fingerprint into a small microchip in the handle/barrel of the gun, and then any tine you want to fire it, you have to use your finger to unlock the firing mechanism. For guns with magazines, both the magazine and the gun have to have matching finger prints to work.
flamtaps5 wrote:The people on facebook are fake as hell. The y make pages pretending to care about *bleep* that happen to get attention.
don't get me started about the drama-encrusted insecurity based fantasy world that Facebook encourages...FAcebook is like a loaded gun itself in many cases
It would definitely take a lot of money to research some sort of secure ID tag system for gun use restriction. Most of the current ID microchip market is filled with security holes (RF chips, for example, are easily broken into). On top of that, the people doing R&D on these secure microchipping processes would need to have someway to ensure they recoup the money that are putting into the research, and making guns harder to fire (while a good-intentioned goal) is more than likely to decrease gun sales rather than increase it. It's a good idea, but not very feasible given current conditions.
ImageImage

Drum bandin' since twenty o' seven.

'10 '13
'11'13

flamtaps5 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re:

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:43 pm

It's kind of ironic seeing as switzerland has the second highest handgun owneship behind US and yet they have an exponentially lower number of gun related deaths. Just goes to show, America is full of trigger happy idiots.

Maybe if everyone learned bow and arrow or crossbow, we could get rid of guns
Josh
I play snare.

Rolly Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:02 pm

The shooter wasted a lot of bullets and lives. He only needed the one he used to take his own life.

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:21 pm

I like Chris Rock's solution-make every bullet cost $5000.
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.

lij2015 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:58 pm

hotbeats645 wrote:I like Chris Rock's solution-make every bullet cost $5000.
I lol'd
I hate how people suddenly give a *beep* after the fact and act like they're a good person. And a side note to that, I've lost all respect for Huckabee.
However the way obama's looking on his gun policy I don't believe that we're gonna get any gun control out of this 4 years.
Dominion storm: 2011, 2012 Vibes/Marimba
James Madison University

jplovesthequads Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:50 pm

sxetnrdrmr wrote:1.Gun Control is what is on my mind...and how absolutely f-ing stupid it is to own and have guns. There is not a human on the face of the earth who is smart enough, strong enough and selfless enough to own a gun. We are stupid, reactionary, greedy animals by nature, and guns do not fit into that equation in any way, shape, or form.

I know it will never happen, but all guns need to go. I hate the dim-witted, chicken-sh*t response of "Guns don't kill people...People Kill People". That is the biggest cop-out ever. Will we ever prevent humans from killing other humans? No. Why? See the bolded statement above. BUT, having a gun makes the decision to react much easier, and less personal. When you don't have to look into the eye of the person you are killing, and be a direct part of the experience of taking a life, the decision is very easy. It feeds into the reactionary nature of the incident or decision.
You're my hero. I can't stand the whole "people kill people". Why the hell do you need the gun in the first place? If it's for 'protection, you wouldn't need it in the first place if they were outlawed. If it's for hunting, I hope you're happy that you find it entertaining to shoot animals. As for the law being in the constitution, that was in a time where we had a standing militia...you can't honestly tell me it's the same now.
PPCHS-Bass/Quads/Snare '10-'13
MGAMB- Snare '12
FSU Big 8- Quads '14-15

Jaked05 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:41 pm

akfina wrote:Life goes on is my only response to the shooting.
Im going to have to go back to this post because I agree with it. There are people in this world that have had pretty screwed up lives and have terrible minds that lead them the wrong way. After this event I lived my life the same way and didnt really think differently but that is also because Im a 14 year old that doesnt have kids of my own to experience how terrible it would be to lose someone so close and so young. My parents were horrified of the event and couldnt imagine something of the such happening in my highschool but mind stays the same. Jacked up people feel they need to do something worthy and to get their name out there before they take their own life.
But you know thats just me and also opinions are like butts, everyone has one but no one wants to hear it.
12' BHS- Pit
13' BHS- Bass
14' - 15' BHS- Quads

Short1 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:04 pm

Sorry about the incoherent OP. I just looked at it and it doesn't make sense.

I love this picture. It sparked a huge frenzy on my facebook wall haha

I hate when people say "It's not about guns, its about people. We need to reclaim the morality of our nation" and they go on to share how everyone should conform to their take on morality. Obviously it's the nonreligious and secularists who are causing these events.

Mustcontrolchops Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:21 am

@sxetnrdrmr Ok, I hunt. I own guns. I guess I'll go shoot people? Your saying the guns kill people, it's the people, and it's always the people with mental issues and no family's. And I'm a chicken *beep* for saying that? It's a fact. I actually feel sorry for the killers. I haven't shot anyone. And there's people just like me and my family around the world that are responsible with guns. Outlawing guns is so stupid. It is what it is, people die. But, fortunately, not everyone is retarded and shoots people.
RHS '11-'12 Pit "Phobias"
RHS '12-'13 Snare "Rain"
RHS '13-'14 Snare "Rampage"
RHS '14-'15 Snare "The Walking RED!"
TAMUK '15-'16 Snare "The Music of Selena"

Mustcontrolchops Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:33 am

jplovesthequads wrote:
sxetnrdrmr wrote:1.Gun Control is what is on my mind...and how absolutely f-ing stupid it is to own and have guns. There is not a human on the face of the earth who is smart enough, strong enough and selfless enough to own a gun. We are stupid, reactionary, greedy animals by nature, and guns do not fit into that equation in any way, shape, or form.

You're my hero. I can't stand the whole "people kill people". Why the hell do you need the gun in the first place? If it's for 'protection, you wouldn't need it in the first place if they were outlawed. If it's for hunting, I hope you're happy that you find it entertaining to shoot animals. As for the law being in the constitution, that was in a time where we had a standing militia...you can't honestly tell me it's the same now.
Oh my god, what the hell are you gonna do if someone stabs you? Hit him and bleed to death? Outlaw knifes then? Then outlaw fists? Almost any object can kill someone. So, guns are definitely for protection. And hunting is a sport, you eat almost everything you kill, and if it doesn't get eaten by you, something eventually does eat it. You level out populations by hunting, that's why every year, you can only hunt so many things, or your breaking the law. I hope y'all know what you're saying is really stupid, and has no affect on anything. It doesn't bring people back to life, or outlaw guns, or anything. Can we just go back to drumming forums? Jesus Christ.
RHS '11-'12 Pit "Phobias"
RHS '12-'13 Snare "Rain"
RHS '13-'14 Snare "Rampage"
RHS '14-'15 Snare "The Walking RED!"
TAMUK '15-'16 Snare "The Music of Selena"

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:18 am

Mustcontrolchops wrote:
jplovesthequads wrote:

Oh my god, what the hell are you gonna do if someone stabs you? Hit him and bleed to death? Outlaw knifes then? Then outlaw fists? Almost any object can kill someone. So, guns are definitely for protection. And hunting is a sport, you eat almost everything you kill, and if it doesn't get eaten by you, something eventually does eat it. You level out populations by hunting, that's why every year, you can only hunt so many things, or your breaking the law. I hope y'all know what you're saying is really stupid, and has no affect on anything. It doesn't bring people back to life, or outlaw guns, or anything. Can we just go back to drumming forums? Jesus Christ.
people aren't shooting places up with hunting rifles. they are shooting places up with semi-automatic assault weapons with magazines build to store up upwards of 100 bullets. these guns were invented specifically to kill a lot of people in a short amount of time. the 2nd amendment was written when the only guns that existed to a minute to re-load after ONE SHOT.

laws need to be updated to keep up with the technology.
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 1 of 3 [ 53 posts ]