Does This Hypothesis Debunk Darwinism?

discuss and debate ideas and issues in a respectful manner

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Ryan Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Does This Hypothesis Debunk Darwinism?

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:46 pm

So I spent yesterday evening reading literature on Intelligent Design, but literature that's pro-ID, instead of anti. I've sometimes stretched the truth and told people that I've fully investigated ID, when I really haven't. I figure the least I can do is come clean on that.

And I'm shocked. I've been getting most of my information from the anti-ID camp -- Dawkins, Hitchens, Ken Miller, Eugenie Scott, et al. -- so I've only had a filtered view of ID, while thinking that I was getting a candid view. I guess that makes me a hypocrite, too, since I so often deride people who only listen to their team's side of the creation-evolution argument. Needless to say, I'm (temporarily) surprised by how self-aware and how scientific William Demski really is. I had pictured these guys being little more than religious bumpkins with regurgitated forms of William Paley's design argument, because that's the portrait of them that I'd got from the authors I normally read. It couldn't be further from the truth, though; I'm legitimately stumped, and honestly, even overwhelmed, by Demski's science.

That doesn't mean that his work is even remotely accurate, but it does mean that I need to take a closer look at Intelligent Design in order to make a mature decision on whether to ignore it or not.

All of this because I went to church on Sunday (for the first time in three and a half years) and sent a borderline-angry letter to the pastor, in response to his sermon, which happened to be on evolution and atheism, specifically. We've been emailing back and forth for two days now, and I am positively SHOCKED by how truly reasonable this guy, as not only a Christian, but a "professional Christian," is being. He doesn't buy the Biblical inerrancy argument; he admits that the Bible is full of errors. He doesn't oppose science; he's actually pretty knowledgeable, scientifically. He doesn't lend extreme credibility to the book of Revelation, doesn't think that faith should be a part of government, doesn't want to see prayer in schools, admits that (beneficial) genetic mutations occur in the plant and animal kingdoms and, most importantly, CAN'T STAND FUNDAMENTALIST CHRISTIANS. Incidentally, I think I'm going to stop being an *beep* to him and start listening a little. I mean, the least I can do is admit when a man has earned my respect, regardless of his religion.

But above all, my commitment is to dialectical honesty, meaning that I follow evidence and evidence only, so that I'm never duped in to this or that belief on account of emotion, a lacking intellect or wishful thinking. And if God punishes me for that, he's no god worth worshiping anyway. I am curious to hear, though, from both sides of the aisle, why the world of science shouldn't give at least pause to Intelligent Design, if not a full-blown chance. I really don't hear much wrong with what Demski's saying in the following video, which was the first thing I watched:

Ryan Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re:

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:31 pm

For what it's worth:

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Re: Does This Hypothesis Debunk Darwinism?

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:20 am

Not all Creationists are morons.

But most are. Maybe William Demski is a part of the former, but that doesn't make his views any less unscientific.

yoshikinto Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:05 pm

TVOham wrote:Not all Creationists are morons.

But most are. Maybe William Demski is a part of the former, but that doesn't make his views any less unscientific.
Yup. I think it's great that there are people like him like questioning our current understanding of things. But pointing to intelligent design because we aren't quite sure about the origin of life doesn't make sense.

Cascades: Snare '10

University of Washington: Tenors '10-'11

Ryan Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:27 pm

yoshikinto wrote:
TVOham wrote:Not all Creationists are morons.

Yup. I think it's great that there are people like him like questioning our current understanding of things. But pointing to intelligent design because we aren't quite sure about the origin of life doesn't make sense.
I think you've nailed it, Yoshikinto. The idea among Christians (and Muslims) seems to be that scientists haven't given this ID stuff a fair shake. But that couldn't be further from the truth. ID has been evaluated, examined, considered, re-considered and revisited again, since Darwin. It just does not, in any sense, meet the evidence.

At all.

At ALL, at all.

And I think it's important to point out that there are intellectual Christians. There are people who know way more about both science and Christianity than me and who still accept the general idea of Christianity -- that God reconciled sinful man to himself by becoming a man and dying as a sacrifice for their sins -- but reject all of the cracker-barrel fundamentalist horse s#it. Unfortunately, these types of Christians constitute the STAGGERING minority, according to statistics. The rest worship what has come to be called "The god of the gaps." These faith-heads look at every gap in our understanding and say, "A-ha! Science can't explain THAT. So GOD must be the explanation!" It's like putting together a puzzle and saying, "We can't yet figure out which piece goes in this spot, so it must be this slab of cold turkey that fits there!" Fortunately, the gaps in our understanding of the universe are now so small that there isn't a whole h&ll of a lot of room left to smash God in to. That's why theists have abandoned so many of their "trump cards" from centuries past and huddled around the Cosmologial argument -- the argument which essentially says, "Why is there anything at all?" Faith-heads really have retreated to the very edge these days. Most just don't know it. The only updates they get on science are the ones they get from their pastor, who almost definitely couldn't pass a high school biology course, let alone something with information more recent than the 1850's. So they continue using the same tired, disproven arguments that their forefathers used in the 1600's, or whenever, and garnering support from the rest of the real bright stars down in the American South.

I mean, if how do you explain ocean waves? You can't! So that proves that Poseidon creates them!

That's 99.9% of Christianity and Islam, in a nutshell.