Why does religion still exist?

discuss and debate ideas and issues in a respectful manner

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

flamtaps5 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Why does religion still exist?

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:22 pm

Science has pretty much explained everything that religious folks back in the day couldn't figure out. I am a recently deconverted athiest and I've never been more happy in my life. The only downside is that I'm 16 and I live with my parents who are Christian but I enjoy thinking for myself and not taking orders from some imaginary man in the sky. What do you guys think?
Josh
I play snare.

Bassnare Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Why does religion still exist?

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:33 pm

Why does religion still exist? The short answer, as far as I can tell, is that people are emotionally attached to it and that they generally trust their intuition over pure reason.

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:05 pm

Bassnare wrote:Why does religion still exist? The short answer, as far as I can tell, is that people are emotionally attached to it and that they generally trust their intuition over pure reason.
I wouldn't say intuition has anything to do with it.

in·tu·i·tion/ˌint(y)o͞oˈiSHən/
Noun:
The ability to understand something immediately, without the need for conscious reasoning.

People blindly following religion do not understand ANYTHING (related to science that contradicts religion that is).

IKEline13 Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:15 pm

Science cannot explain it all. The Cambrian Explosion. A yet unexplained event where organisms rapidly came into existence. Now the Cambrian Explosion was not literally an "explosion." It was a process over about 30 million years where organisms rapidly came into existence. There are theories to explain this, but none proved. Why for billions of years, microorganisms sat around playing with themselves, and them all of a sudden, large bodied organisms came into existence? And now evolution. Evolution is STILL just a theory. People say that there is solid proof of evolution, but does it make sense that if an environment is changing, organisms automatically acquire traits over time to adapt to their new environment? I think the most logical way to go if your environment is changing, you change locations. Take humans for example. If we live in a hurricane region and a hurricane hits, are we going to stay and hope that we "evolve" into a fish human crossbreed? (I know evolution takes a lot longer than that) but NO!!! We would get the hell out and we would find a new place for food and shelter that fits our needs. Thats what what survival is isn't it? Finding places that fit our needs to reproduce. Isn't that what organisms look for? A place that fits their needs to reproduce? So why would an organism wait to evolve when if they don't evolve fast enough... They're screwed!!! So doesn't it just make sense to find a new place to fit your needs to reproduce?
12'-13' (8 grd.) Pit - Fusion
13'-14' (Fresh.) Drumline-Tenors - Rhythm,Sound,Spirit
14'-15' (Soph.) Drumline-Cpt.-Tenors - Pandora Reopened

LilBuerck Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:43 am

Religion exists still because, according to the religion, it also discusses what happens after death, which has not been proven wrong by science. While a lot of what the bible says about the origins of the earth may seem wrong, and I
They may be, idunno. My dad once told me that maybe the reason science and the bible don't totallyvline up is because the people thousands or millions of years ago didn't understand quantum physics and all the extremely advanced concepts we now have. My dad is not a religious man, for the record. He just thought it made some sense. I personally don't know how everything started, there's no way to definitively prove how everything started, and therefore it is irrelevant. I follow religion because it comforts me. It makes me happy to know there is something out there keeping watch on me, and that as long as Im not an awful person I'll be happy once I die. I know there are a lot of problems with religion and there are a lot of loopholes and such, bit I don't really care. It makes me sleep better at night. And it works better for me as a reason to do the right thing besides "well, there's a lot of chemicals in your body that say you should. It makes me feel better knowing I am actually doing the right thing

LilBuerck Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:46 am

I'm also not a bible beating preacher. I largely don't like talking about religion because it about 90 % of the time results in either people turning into blind preachers, or other people just sit there and attack me for believing in something that isn't 100% proven.

TheKingofNone Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:56 pm

Yeah dude. We're all nice and stuff but someone is gonna get offended and boom, you got war on your hands. Two things you never discuss with people are religion and politics lol. Personally I think a lot of people just need something to have faith in or they'd go crazy, or off themselves. It gives morals, it gives reason to live, it makes people happy. ANd yes it causes war too. I just feel that purely believing in science takes just as much faith as believing in both science and God. Because science doesn't make sense either. That these little microorganisms evolved and everything just clicks, we invented waves that relay images onto plasma screens programmed with these little numbers that the computer understands and is powered by the movement of microscopic little things made of even more microscopic things that are made to move by light waves from the sun (Solar power) that travel however many lightyears that are the only reason anything even is here... Just the idea of conscious and subconscious thought just boggles my mind. Which is why I believe in God. Not as much the bible and ideas of afterlife, but the idea of God... It's just reassuring to me, however arcane it all is. And there you go.
You cant just 'hit' a drum; you have to beat the s*** out of it. ~Eric Cartman

GSUS '15

I'm that guy who says he'll try out for drum corps next year and never does.
But I'm totally gonna try to march Alliance this summer.

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:32 pm

You put words into the air with a tiny machine and then my tiny machine pulls the words out of the air and lets me see them. Science
Legends DBC Front Ensemble
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Cowbell- "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK-WHACK"......Spaaaalat. "Cut!" Do it again!

Hertaz Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:59 pm

IKEline13 wrote:Science cannot explain it all. The Cambrian Explosion. A yet unexplained event where organisms rapidly came into existence. Now the Cambrian Explosion was not literally an "explosion." It was a process over about 30 million years where organisms rapidly came into existence. There are theories to explain this, but none proved. Why for billions of years, microorganisms sat around playing with themselves, and them all of a sudden, large bodied organisms came into existence? And now evolution. A) Evolution is STILL just a theory. B) People say that there is solid proof of evolution, but does it make sense that if an environment is changing, organisms automatically acquire traits over time to adapt to their new environment? I think the most logical way to go if your environment is changing, you change locations. Take humans for example. If we live in a hurricane region and a hurricane hits, are we going to stay and hope that we "evolve" into a fish human crossbreed? (I know evolution takes a lot longer than that) but NO!!! We would get the hell out and we would find a new place for food and shelter that fits our needs. Thats what what survival is isn't it? Finding places that fit our needs to reproduce. Isn't that what organisms look for? A place that fits their needs to reproduce? So why would an organism wait to evolve when if they don't evolve fast enough... They're screwed!!! So doesn't it just make sense to find a new place to fit your needs to reproduce?
A) I don't think you understand what the word "theory" means in this context.

B) That's not how evolution works.
PSU Quads 2012-

PSUid Drumset 2013

For the glory.
LilPurpQuads wrote:I mean NOW at the beginning of the season they're dirty, but when it gets closer to mid and finals... They somehow happen to be good?

TheKingofNone Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:05 pm

Hertaz wrote:
IKEline13 wrote:Science cannot explain it all. The Cambrian Explosion. A yet unexplained event where organisms rapidly came into existence. Now the Cambrian Explosion was not literally an "explosion." It was a process over about 30 million years where organisms rapidly came into existence. There are theories to explain this, but none proved. Why for billions of years, microorganisms sat around playing with themselves, and them all of a sudden, large bodied organisms came into existence? And now evolution. A) Evolution is STILL just a theory. B) People say that there is solid proof of evolution, but does it make sense that if an environment is changing, organisms automatically acquire traits over time to adapt to their new environment? I think the most logical way to go if your environment is changing, you change locations. Take humans for example. If we live in a hurricane region and a hurricane hits, are we going to stay and hope that we "evolve" into a fish human crossbreed? (I know evolution takes a lot longer than that) but NO!!! We would get the hell out and we would find a new place for food and shelter that fits our needs. Thats what what survival is isn't it? Finding places that fit our needs to reproduce. Isn't that what organisms look for? A place that fits their needs to reproduce? So why would an organism wait to evolve when if they don't evolve fast enough... They're screwed!!! So doesn't it just make sense to find a new place to fit your needs to reproduce?
A) I don't think you understand what the word "theory" means in this context.

B) That's not how evolution works.
Yeah, not even close. I'm not much of a proponent of the theory we all came from single celled organisms, but hey, if the universe can explode from an atom (or however the Big Bang Theory works) or if we are all made of these little strings of time and space or however string theory works, then I guess it's possible lol.
You cant just 'hit' a drum; you have to beat the s*** out of it. ~Eric Cartman

GSUS '15

I'm that guy who says he'll try out for drum corps next year and never does.
But I'm totally gonna try to march Alliance this summer.

jplovesthequads Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:41 pm

Here's my thought. Religion gives a lot of people something to look forward to in the afterlife. Let me just throw in that I consider my self agnostic. I for one like the idea of Christianity. No matter how you interpret the bible, regardless of the loopholes and what not, Jesus was always shown to visit and help the poor. Whenever the rich and selfish thought to let him in, he ignored them and always went to the poor. So in general, a REAL christian is not one who attacks the lower class and focuses on making the rich richer (trying not to bring in politics but meh). Anyways, to call religion totally false cannot be so. Just like in science, one must always consider all possibilities until proven true or false. The problem is that for the most part, you can't prove religion false, nor can you truly PROVE it TRUE. This is where faith comes in, believing that something is true. The reason you'll almost never here some religious christian accept whether you're right about God or not, is because he has a strict absolute belief in his god, therefore it seems like even accepting that MAYBE you're right and there is no god for even a second goes against his faith.
PPCHS-Bass/Quads/Snare '10-'13
MGAMB- Snare '12
FSU Big 8- Quads '14-15

Nathan Aaron Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:44 pm

jplovesthequads wrote:Here's my thought. Religion gives a lot of people something to look forward to in the afterlife. Let me just throw in that I consider my self agnostic. I for one like the idea of Christianity. No matter how you interpret the bible, regardless of the loopholes and what not, Jesus was always shown to visit and help the poor. Whenever the rich and selfish thought to let him in, he ignored them and always went to the poor. So in general, a REAL christian is not one who attacks the lower class and focuses on making the rich richer (trying not to bring in politics but meh). Anyways, to call religion totally false cannot be so. Just like in science, one must always consider all possibilities until proven true or false. The problem is that for the most part, you can't prove religion false, nor can you truly PROVE it TRUE. This is where faith comes in, believing that something is true. The reason you'll almost never here some religious christian accept whether you're right about God or not, is because he has a strict absolute belief in his god, therefore it seems like even accepting that MAYBE you're right and there is no god for even a second goes against his faith.
'11-'14 Fall Snare
'13 Winter Snare
'14 Winter -Tacet
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Moral of the story, if you want others to enjoy and play your creations, write them so normal people can play them.
http://nathanaaronphotography.wordpress.com/

cobemon Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:08 pm

jplovesthequads wrote:Here's my thought. Religion gives a lot of people something to look forward to in the afterlife. Let me just throw in that I consider my self agnostic. I for one like the idea of Christianity. No matter how you interpret the bible, regardless of the loopholes and what not, Jesus was always shown to visit and help the poor. Whenever the rich and selfish thought to let him in, he ignored them and always went to the poor. So in general, a REAL christian is not one who attacks the lower class and focuses on making the rich richer (trying not to bring in politics but meh). Anyways, to call religion totally false cannot be so. Just like in science, one must always consider all possibilities until proven true or false. The problem is that for the most part, you can't prove religion false, nor can you truly PROVE it TRUE. This is where faith comes in, believing that something is true. The reason you'll almost never here some religious christian accept whether you're right about God or not, is because he has a strict absolute belief in his god, therefore it seems like even accepting that MAYBE you're right and there is no god for even a second goes against his faith.
*im catholic*

jplovesthequads Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:49 pm

cobemon wrote:
*im catholic*
Kinda sorta basically.
PPCHS-Bass/Quads/Snare '10-'13
MGAMB- Snare '12
FSU Big 8- Quads '14-15

Bassnare Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:08 am

IKEline13 wrote:Science cannot explain it all. The Cambrian Explosion. A yet unexplained event where organisms rapidly came into existence. Now the Cambrian Explosion was not literally an "explosion." It was a process over about 30 million years where organisms rapidly came into existence. There are theories to explain this, but none proved. Why for billions of years, microorganisms sat around playing with themselves, and them all of a sudden, large bodied organisms came into existence? And now evolution. Evolution is STILL just a theory. People say that there is solid proof of evolution, but does it make sense that if an environment is changing, organisms automatically acquire traits over time to adapt to their new environment? I think the most logical way to go if your environment is changing, you change locations. Take humans for example. If we live in a hurricane region and a hurricane hits, are we going to stay and hope that we "evolve" into a fish human crossbreed? (I know evolution takes a lot longer than that) but NO!!! We would get the hell out and we would find a new place for food and shelter that fits our needs. Thats what what survival is isn't it? Finding places that fit our needs to reproduce. Isn't that what organisms look for? A place that fits their needs to reproduce? So why would an organism wait to evolve when if they don't evolve fast enough... They're screwed!!! So doesn't it just make sense to find a new place to fit your needs to reproduce?
The Cambrian Explosion does not present any obstacle for our modern understanding of the Theory of Evolution. Charles Darwin thought that it might, but since his time we have gained a much better understanding of the evidence and the mechanisms of evolution.

As has been mentioned previously, your understanding of the concepts and scope of evolution, and science in general, is rather lacking. Evolution is driven by the natural selection and accumulation of random mutations over many generations. Advantageous mutations increase the chances of survival and are more likely to be passed on to offspring. If there is some abrupt environmental change, the organisms best suited for that environment will thrive while others will die or move. Other populations might experience a heavier selection pressure and "adapt" more rapidly. In general, however, environmental changes, and thus changes in their resident populations, occur slowly.

A good analogy for natural selection is artificial selection, such as has been the case with dogs. Dogs have a wolf ancestry but they are obviously far more diverse than wolves. This is because humans have bred them and selected desirable traits. "If evolution is true and we are apes, why are there still chimpanzees herp derp?" is like saying "If evolution is true and my dog is a husky, why are there still chihuahuas?" Nature's selection is much slower and far less forgiving, but its effects are far more profound because of the sheer amount of time that has passed. As an ape, you are a distant "cousin" of all chimpanzees. You cannot breed with them because we have become sufficiently different, but humans share a common ancestor with them. Likewise even more distantly, you're related to all mammals and every other form of life on the planet. You ask if we could evolve into some "fish human crossbreed", and the answer is no. Individual organisms can't evolve, and we can't breed with fish. Could humans theoretically acquire traits over successive generations that could better adapt them for living in the water? Well yeah, and eventually that population might not actually be called humans.
jplovesthequads wrote:Just like in science, one must always consider all possibilities until proven true or false.
You have to first make the determination that something is actually possible. Just like any religion, Christianity makes lots of claims that, within my own framework of understanding, are not possible. The burden of proof lies with the people making positive claims and I think it's fallacious to frame the discussion on the idea that something has to be "proven false" before it can be disregarded.

"I'm increasingly convinced that the point of Christian apologetics is not to defend faith, but to create the illusion that the faith is defensible." -AdamHazzard

MHS-JDawg Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:46 pm

I think religion is there for people simply as motivation. I don't know how to explain it correctly though. I'm not very religious at all, I don't go to church but once a year maybe if it's with family, but I still consider myself a Christian. It gives our mind something to process and think about, and really quells our curiosity. One thing that science can't bring about is where we "go" when we die, and religion is there to help fill the void and help others deal with that fact. Religion will also bring pride and a sense of doing something correct in someones life, and is the basis for basic morals found in families and individuals. And being not die hard religious, I can still say that we know that you look at us and say, "Why do you still believe in this", and I can assure you we're all thinking, "Why aren't YOU like this." Throughout history, the motivation that people have been given to build huge cities, and teach millions across the globe, is because religion was there. The World has never seen an age where religion was below 50% of the population, and look where we are now. Science has only begun to trump religion within the last century, covering a tiny fraction of what man has done through the years. I can guarantee you the average Christian family doesn't go through the day thinking, "What should I do today to please God?" BUT they do let that "influence" tell them what is better or worse, like not swearing, or not drinking or whatever it may be. (I will say reading over this it sounds really abrasive and stuff, didn't mean for it to be that way, but I got a point inside it somewhere).

KJennings Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:58 pm

We can answer the question "Why does religion still exist?" with one sentence:

Religion gives purpose and meaning to billions of people, and has been doing so for thousands of years.

That's it. It exists because it works for some people. Doesn't work for me, but works for them.
DCI Open Class- 2006
DCI World Class- 2007, 2010, 2011
WGI World Class- 2011, 2012, 2013 (Snare Tech)
Image Image

darthcamronius Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:32 pm

IKEline13 wrote:Science cannot explain it all. The Cambrian Explosion. A yet unexplained event where organisms rapidly came into existence. Now the Cambrian Explosion was not literally an "explosion." It was a process over about 30 million years where organisms rapidly came into existence. There are theories to explain this, but none proved. Why for billions of years, microorganisms sat around playing with themselves, and them all of a sudden, large bodied organisms came into existence? And now evolution. Evolution is STILL just a theory. People say that there is solid proof of evolution, but does it make sense that if an environment is changing, organisms automatically acquire traits over time to adapt to their new environment? I think the most logical way to go if your environment is changing, you change locations. Take humans for example. If we live in a hurricane region and a hurricane hits, are we going to stay and hope that we "evolve" into a fish human crossbreed? (I know evolution takes a lot longer than that) but NO!!! We would get the hell out and we would find a new place for food and shelter that fits our needs. Thats what what survival is isn't it? Finding places that fit our needs to reproduce. Isn't that what organisms look for? A place that fits their needs to reproduce? So why would an organism wait to evolve when if they don't evolve fast enough... They're screwed!!! So doesn't it just make sense to find a new place to fit your needs to reproduce?
You clearly don't have a solid grasp of evolution. That isn't even close to how it works. But this isn't the place for me to explain it, you can research that on your own. You also don't know the definition of a "theory."
Anyone know how to get those drum corps banners for your signature???

Santa Clara Vanguard - 2018 Snare
UNT Snare Ensemble - 2017
Troopers - 2017 Snare
Vigilantes Indoor Percussion - 2017-2018 Snare
Genesis Drum & Bugle Corps - 2016 Snare
Rhythmic Force Indoor Percussion - 2013–2016 Snare

austantinople Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:29 am

Religion still exists because it represents everything that is still unknown. Long ago, religion was the ONLY explanation people had for things that appeared "supernatural", such as droughts or storms. The unknown continues to shrink every day, but it is still there, and it has a very long history. Modern science is a relatively new concept compared to religion. I think that popular religion will continue to shrink, and we will see a rise in agnostics, atheists, and spiritualism/humanism. It just needs some more time. Also, atheists are still coming out of their shells. Disbelief is still rather unpopular. Announcing that you're an atheist is social suicide in some cases.

Volvo Offline
noob
noob

Re: Religion doesn't work - Relationship with God does

Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:59 am

People look to worship something it's in the human DNA.

For many years I have been a Christian.
Generally speaking I'm happy with my life and letting God guide me.
I remember what it was like before I gave God control and generally I was not happy.

It's kind of like this with God...you plant your life with him and trust him.
The same you would with a plant, you don't pull it up by the roots and say " Are you growing yet?

By the way in Christianity its about a relationship, yes you can have communication with God.

Avery Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:02 am

TL;DR: Something to look forward to after life.