How to tell my parents im not a christian anymore?

discuss and debate ideas and issues in a respectful manner

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

flamtaps5 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

How to tell my parents im not a christian anymore?

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:43 pm

I'm 16 and my parents are unquestioning bible thumping christians. They've even brainwashed my younger siblings into believing. I don't agree with some of the bible and it has many contradictions. I'm tired of pretending and going through the motions. What I'm afraid of is the possibility that they will throw the power of jesus,exorcise me, etc. Can any deconverted Christians give me advice?
Josh
I play snare.

akfina Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Re: How to tell my parents im not a christian anymore?

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:54 pm

Tell them you're not a Christian?
RHS Pit Xylophone '11-'12 "Phobias."
RHS Drumline Bass 1 '12-'13 "Rain."
RHS Drumline Bass 1 '13-'14 "Rampage."
RHS Drumline Bass 1 '14-'15 "Infected."

Bassnare Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:42 pm

If there is a real chance that they'll do something drastic, you should probably wait until you are a little older before coming out to them. I don't like lying about myself to other people either, but I guarantee it will be much easier for you if you wait a couple of years. You'll know much more about yourself and your ideas, understand the situation better, and be in a better position to take care of yourself if you need to.

My parents are moderately religious, so I probably had it easier than some. By the time I was 18 or so, I was able to flesh out my ideas enough to calmly and effectively argue with them. It turned out very well, and they are perfectly fine with it now.

You know your parents and your social situation better than anyone else. In the end, you have to weigh the risks and decide what to do.

KJennings Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:53 pm

i agree ^
DCI Open Class- 2006
DCI World Class- 2007, 2010, 2011
WGI World Class- 2011, 2012, 2013 (Snare Tech)
Image Image

Ryan Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:14 pm

Bassnare wrote:If there is a real chance that they'll do something drastic, you should probably wait until you are a little older before coming out to them. I don't like lying about myself to other people either, but I guarantee it will be much easier for you if you wait a couple of years. You'll know much more about yourself and your ideas, understand the situation better, and be in a better position to take care of yourself if you need to.

My parents are moderately religious, so I probably had it easier than some. By the time I was 18 or so, I was able to flesh out my ideas enough to calmly and effectively argue with them. It turned out very well, and they are perfectly fine with it now.

You know your parents and your social situation better than anyone else. In the end, you have to weigh the risks and decide what to do.
Brilliantly stated.

And for what it's worth, this website has a discussion forum for people in the same situation you're in, flamtaps: http://de-conversion.com/2007/06/19/the ... christian/

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:31 am

My parents are bible thumpers as well. I doubt they would perform an exorcism on you considering it would be a form of child abuse for which both of them could do time in prison.

When I told my parents they just gave me the "we're very disappointed in you" nonsense and that was the end of it.

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:27 pm

TVOham wrote:My parents are bible thumpers as well. I doubt they would perform an exorcism on you considering it would be a form of child abuse for which both of them could do time in prison.

When I told my parents they just gave me the "we're very disappointed in you" nonsense and that was the end of it.
...and now, have they realized that you are actually not evil, or a rat-*beep* for not following religion anymore?

I went through the same thing in 8th grade. My mom was moderately religious, but church involvement was a mainstay in her life. I just remember I quietly stopped going to church. I sort of had dad on my side as well, I don't ever remember there being any big fight or anything. She would ask me what the deal was, and I would just tell her that I really didn't feel anything from going, and that I felt false being there...like I was mocking everyone else's participation by not being into it. (Sort of like some of the members in the drumlines we all talk about who "get in the way"). I knew that she was disappointed ,but she also was happy that I was being honest. I think she was more disappointed in my not being there than my loss of interest in the dogma.

As far as their threatening you with exorcism or whatever, I would just say "It is talk like that that is driving me away from this activity."
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

Ryan Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:34 pm

sxetnrdrmr wrote:As far as their threatening you with exorcism or whatever, I would just say "It is talk like that that is driving me away from this activity."
Ingenious response, actually.

Pretty much everything that needs to be said, in one, succinct statement.

Short1 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:02 am

It doesn't have to be something where you walk up to them and say "I'm not a Christian anymore, just so you know."
Your beliefs are YOUR beliefs. Just live your life. If a moment comes up where religion is involved, (prayer at the table) just don't pray.

I think my grandpa found out from creeping my facebook page. My mom found out from him. But then again, my family isn't forcibly religious.