what does being "christian" really mean

discuss and debate ideas and issues in a respectful manner

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth


Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 1 of 3 [ 63 posts ]
Message
Author
zetram00 Offline
noob
noob
User avatar
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:13 am

what does being "christian" really mean

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:25 pm



Ok i go to church 2 times a week and i love it the environment and the people are amazing. But i don't believe in everything that is said in the bible and what is said so i don't classify myself as a christian, am i right for thinking this way or am i being a hypocrite for being there or is this normal to have objections?
Image Image Image
Landstown High School Drumline Captain
09/10 PIT
10/11 BASS
11/12 BASS
12/13 TENOR/ DRUMLINE CAPTAIN
Why Be Good When You Can Be Great?


ottomagne Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops
User avatar
Posts: 3114
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:24 am
Location: Houston, TX

Re: what does being "christian" really mean

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:38 pm



Questioning one's beliefs is an integral part of being a well-informed, well-rounded person.
ImageImage

Drum bandin' since twenty o' seven.

'10 '13
'11'13


sxetnrdrmr Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:22 pm
Location: chasing the battery around the field

Re:

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:52 pm



...and "being Christian (or Muslim, Jewish, Shinto, Pagan etc)" doesn't mean anything if you don't understand what the stories of your religion are trying to say about the moral code. I have YET to meet anyone who adheres to any organized religion that actually understood what the main prophet was trying to get across to the followers. Most of the people I know get too wrapped up in the human side of their beliefs...I can just imagine the main prophet sitting wherever they reside and just facepalming at all of us down here totally blowing the meaning of what they said.

Free yourself from religion, and you will find faith, morality and virtue in a far truer place than any fantasy land!!!

You will find it in yourself
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Image

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans


zetram00 Offline
noob
noob
User avatar
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:13 am

Re: what does being "christian" really mean

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:02 am



i guess your right but its just kinda been implanted in my mind for 17 years that 'this is how *beep* is and if you dont believe it our wrong' and i just recently started seeing how crazy rhat was and how i was kinda brainwashed over al these years
Image Image Image
Landstown High School Drumline Captain
09/10 PIT
10/11 BASS
11/12 BASS
12/13 TENOR/ DRUMLINE CAPTAIN
Why Be Good When You Can Be Great?


sxetnrdrmr Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:22 pm
Location: chasing the battery around the field

Re: what does being "christian" really mean

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:54 am



zetram00 wrote:i guess your right but its just kinda been implanted in my mind for 17 years that 'this is how *beep* is and if you dont believe it our wrong' and i just recently started seeing how crazy rhat was and how i was kinda brainwashed over al these years
well, the best thing you can do is start questioning everything. Research stuff on your own. Don't be afraid to delve into something as long as it is not morally or karmically wrong. I made that discoery around 7th grade...that everything in my societal/cultural/familial surroundings was a big brainwasn. Starting with familal/religious as a young child.

Then into school...and the American public school system is a HUGE...HUGE system of brainwashing/preparation for the separation of people into worker drones and bosses. In school, we are all herded into the little "box" that is mainstream America...trained to move at ertain times lke cattle to the next pen; our minds are consistently crushed by the drone of "baseball, Apple Pie, 2.5 kids, white picket fences, investment funds and the mighty dollar" Anyone who thinks/acts/dresses outside of the box is quickly corrected until they assume the role, or pushed away so as to not challenge the majorities way of thinking(control). It is really sick...

so anywho, break free. Educate yourself by questioning everything, and then doing careful research on your own about stuff. Don't count out ANY possibility as being wrong until you know for sure. Never rush the judgement and never do anything because someone else says to...

PUNK ROCK!!
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Image

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans


hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen
User avatar
Posts: 4661
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: what does being "christian" really mean

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:39 pm



sxetnrdrmr wrote: PUNK ROCK!!

daps
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.


TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1357
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:57 am

Re:

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:20 am



Honestly, I feel like the more the older generation tries to push religion onto today's youth, the more the youth will rebel against it. This guys thread is a perfect example (and I was the same way in middle school as well when I first started questioning my faith). There's only one word to describe religion and faith in general, and that's "silly".
Image


hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen
User avatar
Posts: 4661
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: what does being "christian" really mean

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:55 am



i would disagree, TVO. there are tons of valid belief systems out there that don't get noticed because they're not one of the big three or four major systems of belief. these systems have been practiced for thousands of years, and can be different from person to person. just because you haven't found something you believe in doesn't make every belief that isn't yours "silly". some people blindly follow a "religion", and that is silly for sure. but to call faith in general silly is incredibly close-minded
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.


TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1357
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:57 am

Re: what does being "christian" really mean

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:56 am



hotbeats645 wrote:i would disagree, TVO. there are tons of valid belief systems out there that don't get noticed because they're not one of the big three or four major systems of belief. these systems have been practiced for thousands of years, and can be different from person to person. just because you haven't found something you believe in doesn't make every belief that isn't yours "silly". some people blindly follow a "religion", and that is silly for sure. but to call faith in general silly is incredibly close-minded

I don't have a belief. Ghosts, ghoulies, wizards, witches, spirits, gods, and goblins are all nonsense. So yes, I say they're all silly.
Image


zetram00 Offline
noob
noob
User avatar
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:13 am

Re: what does being "christian" really mean

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:01 pm



I don't think its silly but i understand where you are coming from
Image Image Image
Landstown High School Drumline Captain
09/10 PIT
10/11 BASS
11/12 BASS
12/13 TENOR/ DRUMLINE CAPTAIN
Why Be Good When You Can Be Great?


hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen
User avatar
Posts: 4661
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: what does being "christian" really mean

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:58 pm



TVOham wrote:
hotbeats645 wrote:i would disagree, TVO. there are tons of valid belief systems out there that don't get noticed because they're not one of the big three or four major systems of belief. these systems have been practiced for thousands of years, and can be different from person to person. just because you haven't found something you believe in doesn't make every belief that isn't yours "silly". some people blindly follow a "religion", and that is silly for sure. but to call faith in general silly is incredibly close-minded

I don't have a belief. Ghosts, ghoulies, wizards, witches, spirits, gods, and goblins are all nonsense. So yes, I say they're all silly.

ok cool, but those have nothing to do with a lot of belief systems out there. being close-minded and lumping everything together is lame
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.


TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1357
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:57 am

Re: what does being "christian" really mean

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:24 pm



hotbeats645 wrote:
TVOham wrote:
hotbeats645 wrote:i would disagree, TVO. there are tons of valid belief systems out there that don't get noticed because they're not one of the big three or four major systems of belief. these systems have been practiced for thousands of years, and can be different from person to person. just because you haven't found something you believe in doesn't make every belief that isn't yours "silly". some people blindly follow a "religion", and that is silly for sure. but to call faith in general silly is incredibly close-minded

I don't have a belief. Ghosts, ghoulies, wizards, witches, spirits, gods, and goblins are all nonsense. So yes, I say they're all silly.

ok cool, but those have nothing to do with a lot of belief systems out there. being close-minded and lumping everything together is lame

Find me a belief system that isn't somewhat related to spirituality. I did put "spirits" in there.
Image


DrewAnderson Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:01 pm
Location: Tallahassee, Florida

Re: Re:

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:45 pm



sxetnrdrmr wrote:...and "being Christian (or Muslim, Jewish, Shinto, Pagan etc)" doesn't mean anything if you don't understand what the stories of your religion are trying to say about the moral code. I have YET to meet anyone who adheres to any organized religion that actually understood what the main prophet was trying to get across to the followers. Most of the people I know get too wrapped up in the human side of their beliefs...I can just imagine the main prophet sitting wherever they reside and just facepalming at all of us down here totally blowing the meaning of what they said.

Free yourself from religion, and you will find faith, morality and virtue in a far truer place than any fantasy land!!!

You will find it in yourself
so you know more about what christ meant than any christian youve ever met, you know more about what mohammed meant than every muslim youve ever met and you know more about what buddha meant than any buddhist youve ever met? wow, you know alot
Brahma from USF 2009-2010
Florida State University "Big 8" Drumline 2010-2013
Crossmen 2011
Cadets 2012-2013
Rhythm X 2014


lij2015 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 736
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 8:25 pm
Location: Newport News, Virginia

Re: what does being "christian" really mean

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:28 pm



I consider myself lucky to have two atheist parents, but looking into what you believe in is a great thing to do.
Dominion storm: 2011, 2012 Vibes/Marimba
James Madison University


hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen
User avatar
Posts: 4661
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: what does being "christian" really mean

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:35 am



TVOham wrote:
hotbeats645 wrote:
TVOham wrote:
I don't have a belief. Ghosts, ghoulies, wizards, witches, spirits, gods, and goblins are all nonsense. So yes, I say they're all silly.

ok cool, but those have nothing to do with a lot of belief systems out there. being close-minded and lumping everything together is lame

Find me a belief system that isn't somewhat related to spirituality. I did put "spirits" in there.
ok, so my basic beliefs come from Peru, where your actions are reinforced by positive and negative energy (this is something that has been scientifically studied too, and actually exists). living in harmony with other people, eating right, respecting the planet, etc, creates a larger positive energy field and promotes good energy to come into your field. being a crappy person shrinks that field, and less good energy comes your way.

now you're probably going to try and refute this as "silly", but it's something that has been proven to exist, and the people who have truly mastered this "spirituality", or belief in living right as one's self, can do some pretty amazing things. these sorts of beliefs have existed for thousands of years and don't rely on "magic" or some holy book-they rely on respecting the world around you and those that you share the world with and how that affects your energy field.

now if you want to say that this belief in an energy system equates to "spirits", thats ok if thats what you want to call it, but I assure you, you do have an energy field, and it does shrink and grow depending on your moods and actions. it's not some make believe thing, if you didn't have one you would be dead. this has all been studied and correlation has been shown.
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.


TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1357
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:57 am

Re: what does being "christian" really mean

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:19 pm



hotbeats645 wrote:
TVOham wrote:
hotbeats645 wrote:

ok cool, but those have nothing to do with a lot of belief systems out there. being close-minded and lumping everything together is lame

Find me a belief system that isn't somewhat related to spirituality. I did put "spirits" in there.
ok, so my basic beliefs come from Peru, where your actions are reinforced by positive and negative energy (this is something that has been scientifically studied too, and actually exists). living in harmony with other people, eating right, respecting the planet, etc, creates a larger positive energy field and promotes good energy to come into your field. being a crappy person shrinks that field, and less good energy comes your way.

now you're probably going to try and refute this as "silly", but it's something that has been proven to exist, and the people who have truly mastered this "spirituality", or belief in living right as one's self, can do some pretty amazing things. these sorts of beliefs have existed for thousands of years and don't rely on "magic" or some holy book-they rely on respecting the world around you and those that you share the world with and how that affects your energy field.

now if you want to say that this belief in an energy system equates to "spirits", thats ok if thats what you want to call it, but I assure you, you do have an energy field, and it does shrink and grow depending on your moods and actions. it's not some make believe thing, if you didn't have one you would be dead. this has all been studied and correlation has been shown.
Energy fields?

Focus your ki, my son.
Image


hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen
User avatar
Posts: 4661
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: what does being "christian" really mean

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:20 am



TVOham wrote:
hotbeats645 wrote: ok, so my basic beliefs come from Peru, where your actions are reinforced by positive and negative energy (this is something that has been scientifically studied too, and actually exists). living in harmony with other people, eating right, respecting the planet, etc, creates a larger positive energy field and promotes good energy to come into your field. being a crappy person shrinks that field, and less good energy comes your way.

now you're probably going to try and refute this as "silly", but it's something that has been proven to exist, and the people who have truly mastered this "spirituality", or belief in living right as one's self, can do some pretty amazing things. these sorts of beliefs have existed for thousands of years and don't rely on "magic" or some holy book-they rely on respecting the world around you and those that you share the world with and how that affects your energy field.

now if you want to say that this belief in an energy system equates to "spirits", thats ok if thats what you want to call it, but I assure you, you do have an energy field, and it does shrink and grow depending on your moods and actions. it's not some make believe thing, if you didn't have one you would be dead. this has all been studied and correlation has been shown.
Energy fields?

Focus your ki, my son.
may the force be with you (in episode 7) and your chakras be aligned!
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.


sxetnrdrmr Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:22 pm
Location: chasing the battery around the field

Re: Re:

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:21 pm



DrewAnderson wrote:
sxetnrdrmr wrote:...and "being Christian (or Muslim, Jewish, Shinto, Pagan etc)" doesn't mean anything if you don't understand what the stories of your religion are trying to say about the moral code. I have YET to meet anyone who adheres to any organized religion that actually understood what the main prophet was trying to get across to the followers. Most of the people I know get too wrapped up in the human side of their beliefs...I can just imagine the main prophet sitting wherever they reside and just facepalming at all of us down here totally blowing the meaning of what they said.

Free yourself from religion, and you will find faith, morality and virtue in a far truer place than any fantasy land!!!

You will find it in yourself
so you know more about what christ meant than any christian youve ever met, you know more about what mohammed meant than every muslim youve ever met and you know more about what buddha meant than any buddhist youve ever met? wow, you know alot
no, I do not know anymore about these powers than anyone else, and that is why I don't adhere to any one belief system AND judge other people as being wrong or evil because they don't agree with me.

I do know that my mom is a devout Lutheran, and she has no more concrete answers about God than I do as a non-organized religious adherent. Saying that i studied the religions does not mean that I understand the faith mysteries that the individual followers experience.
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Image

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans


DrewAnderson Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:01 pm
Location: Tallahassee, Florida

Re: Re:

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:24 pm



sxetnrdrmr wrote:
DrewAnderson wrote:
sxetnrdrmr wrote:...and "being Christian (or Muslim, Jewish, Shinto, Pagan etc)" doesn't mean anything if you don't understand what the stories of your religion are trying to say about the moral code. I have YET to meet anyone who adheres to any organized religion that actually understood what the main prophet was trying to get across to the followers. Most of the people I know get too wrapped up in the human side of their beliefs...I can just imagine the main prophet sitting wherever they reside and just facepalming at all of us down here totally blowing the meaning of what they said.

Free yourself from religion, and you will find faith, morality and virtue in a far truer place than any fantasy land!!!

You will find it in yourself
so you know more about what christ meant than any christian youve ever met, you know more about what mohammed meant than every muslim youve ever met and you know more about what buddha meant than any buddhist youve ever met? wow, you know alot
no, I do not know anymore about these powers than anyone else, and that is why I don't adhere to any one belief system AND judge other people as being wrong or evil because they don't agree with me.

I do know that my mom is a devout Lutheran, and she has no more concrete answers about God than I do as a non-organized religious adherent. Saying that i studied the religions does not mean that I understand the faith mysteries that the individual followers experience.
you said that the followers of religion you know dont know the actual meaning of their prophet, which means for you to know they are wriong you would have to know whats right, thats what i inferred.
Brahma from USF 2009-2010
Florida State University "Big 8" Drumline 2010-2013
Crossmen 2011
Cadets 2012-2013
Rhythm X 2014


Ryan Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 750
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: West Los Angeles, CA

Re:

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:22 pm



We don't need to know what prophets "meant," in many cases, because, as is the case with Moses and Abraham, we have rock-solid scientific reasons to believe that they never actually existed. And as if that weren't enough, we have equally rock-solid evidence from the texts themselves that these "prophets" never existed. Nobody, outside of the lunatic fringe, is pushing for a literal Moses any more. Nobody's pushing for a literal Abraham. David MAY have existed; but even if he did, we know that he was one of hundreds of small-time tribal leaders in the a ancient Near-East, as Israel was never a major socio-political force in that area at that time.

And when you finally decide to actually pick up a book about Biblical scholarship and read it, you'll learn that the majority of Paul's epistles were not written by Paul, that 2nd Peter wasn't written by Peter, (as if 1st Peter could have been), that Revelation wasn't added to the Bible until over 300 years after Jesus is said to have lived, that all of the books of the Bible have undergone redaction (editing) since they were written, and that the books that were selected to be in the Bible in the first place were chosen by way of an extremely sloppy, conniving process that could have had nothing to do with a god, if a god does exist.

To people educated on the topic, claiming to have reliable historical information from these figures who may or may not have existed in history, and who definitely didn't write (or edit) the documents ascribed to them, is comical.


sxetnrdrmr Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:22 pm
Location: chasing the battery around the field

Re: Re:

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:12 pm



DrewAnderson wrote:
sxetnrdrmr wrote:
DrewAnderson wrote: so you know more about what christ meant than any christian youve ever met, you know more about what mohammed meant than every muslim youve ever met and you know more about what buddha meant than any buddhist youve ever met? wow, you know alot
no, I do not know anymore about these powers than anyone else, and that is why I don't adhere to any one belief system AND judge other people as being wrong or evil because they don't agree with me.

I do know that my mom is a devout Lutheran, and she has no more concrete answers about God than I do as a non-organized religious adherent. Saying that i studied the religions does not mean that I understand the faith mysteries that the individual followers experience.
you said that the followers of religion you know dont know the actual meaning of their prophet, which means for you to know they are wriong you would have to know whats right, thats what i inferred.
I don't know what is "right" , but I can definitely see when other people completely misinterpret the foundational teachings of their belief system, and then compromise their positive karmic/spiritual development.

The best example of it that I see everyday is the Catholic act of Confession. The notion that you can be a *beep* to others and yourself all week, and then wash it all away by tattling on yourself and praying is soooooo backwards and karmaically wrong. Confession is a Catholic dogmatic element that came about in the middle ages so that self-righteous people who did completely evil and greed motivated acts could make them selves feel better about it when their conscience made them face up to the fact that they sucked as people. I DO know that Jesus did not teach that philosophy. Jesus never said "Screw Unto Others and You Can Do Whatever You Want If You Go To A Building Once A Week And Participate In A Ritual Where You Can Pretend To Be Sorry And Then Go Do It Again"

There is no "right" or "wrong" in dogma since dogma is a human-based element in religions. What is "right" to a Christian is sometimes considered "wrong" by a Muslim <- THAT to me is the bigger wrong...thinking that the dogmatic part of the religion is the main core of the religion. THAT is where I see people I know make the failures that cause them spiritual or karmatic negativity. THAT is where I do know that I am right in the decisions I have made for MYSELF.
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Image

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans


zetram00 Offline
noob
noob
User avatar
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:13 am

Re:

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:35 am



This is starting to become a really funny thread
Image Image Image
Landstown High School Drumline Captain
09/10 PIT
10/11 BASS
11/12 BASS
12/13 TENOR/ DRUMLINE CAPTAIN
Why Be Good When You Can Be Great?


MPolarinakis Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:43 am

Re: what does being "christian" really mean

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:40 am



sxetnrdrmr wrote:
Then into school...and the American public school system is a HUGE...HUGE system of brainwashing/preparation for the separation of people into worker drones and bosses. In school, we are all herded into the little "box" that is mainstream America...trained to move at certain times like cattle to the next pen; our minds are consistently crushed by the drone of "baseball, Apple Pie, 2.5 kids, white picket fences, investment funds and the mighty dollar" Anyone who thinks/acts/dresses outside of the box is quickly corrected until they assume the role, or pushed away so as to not challenge the majorities way of thinking(control). It is really sick...

PUNK ROCK!!
What are you talking about. The whole point of an education is to teach you to think.
sxetnrdrmr wrote: American public school system is a HUGE...HUGE system of brainwashing/preparation for the separation of people into worker drones and bosses
Every single education system ever is designed to do 2 things:
1. Give the public a fundamental education so they can be productive members of society
2. separate the people who are willing to work hard from the people who arn't. its why we have grading

of course public schools are going to separate the smart people from the stupid ones. half the point of primary education is to figure out what kids have the drive to work hard, and which kids are actually going to succeed in secondary education. that's why we have grades. This is how literally 100% of education systems in the world work.
sxetnrdrmr wrote: In school, we are all herded into the little "box" that is mainstream America...trained to move at certain times like cattle to the next pen; our minds are consistently crushed by the drone of "baseball, Apple Pie, 2.5 kids, white picket fences, investment funds and the mighty dollar"
again, what does this even mean? i don't even really have a response to the cattle thing, cause it doesn't make any sense, unless you're saying they try and train us to think in a certain way. in which case why the hell not? Schools push thinking in a forward direction, in no way do i see any negatives in that.

and I'm sorry that you don't approve of the norms of society today...
nobody pushes sports, people just love sports. everybody in the world loves sports, everyone. even people who dont know what sports is love sports.
I have no idea if apple pie is in reference to food or technology

Also i dont understand why in every post you make about society you bag on the fact that currency exists. Stop telling us you don't like money. everyone likes money, if you dont like money you're lying. The only people i have ever met that have tried to tell me they dont like money are people who didn't try hard enough in school, and either didn't go to college or picked some half ass liberal arts major, and then just spout the same "I'm doing it cause i love it, its not about the money, i dont want money to be happy" stuff. Thats fine that you're happy with what you're doing, but i would much rather have schools telling my kids "Pick something you want to do, but be realistic and do something that is going to end up being financially beneficial to you in the long run" than "Do what you want, and expect that society will want you to be a Starbucks Batista well into your 40s to support that womens studies degree" Financial stability is a good thing. it isnt evil. It lets you continue on with the hobbies you enjoy. I would much rather have a different job, and not have my hobbies become my work, cause then my hobbies become work.
sxetnrdrmr wrote: Anyone who thinks/acts/dresses outside of the box is quickly corrected until they assume the role, or pushed away so as to not challenge the majorities way of thinking(control)
Nobody ever has told anyone "dont think outside the box"....

also, Do you know why everyone hates hipsters and punk kids? because nothing that they actually do differently than the rest of the group is actually beneficial in any way, its just stupid and a waste of productive time. the only thing hipsters have ever done to benefit me or the people around me is either raise a testing curve cause studying was to mainstream, or making me look incredibly good in a playing audition because their playing technique was to cool to conform to the one we were being asked to play.

also you should be pretty happy that people who are way too far outside the box get corrected pretty quickly, or are at least stifled a little bit, cause there are some pretty weird people in the world, and not having to put up with them makes my day significantly better.




The only thing wrong with american schools is that the pressure to pass has shifted from the students to the teachers, and now the teachers have to compensate in order to make sure kids pass. either by making easier curriculum or having super curves that reward lazy students.

I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, but I literally can't ever agree with a single thing you post on here regarding real life because I dont think you see the world in a big picture view. Every time you post something regarding education or politics i facepalm multiple times throughout the post because it doesn't make sense.
'10 '11 '12 '13

'09 '10 '11 '13


for clarification, see related GIF
Image


sxetnrdrmr Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:22 pm
Location: chasing the battery around the field

Re: what does being "christian" really mean

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:40 am



MPolarinakis wrote:
sxetnrdrmr wrote:
Then into school...and the American public school system is a HUGE...HUGE system of brainwashing/preparation for the separation of people into worker drones and bosses. In school, we are all herded into the little "box" that is mainstream America...trained to move at certain times like cattle to the next pen; our minds are consistently crushed by the drone of "baseball, Apple Pie, 2.5 kids, white picket fences, investment funds and the mighty dollar" Anyone who thinks/acts/dresses outside of the box is quickly corrected until they assume the role, or pushed away so as to not challenge the majorities way of thinking(control). It is really sick...

PUNK ROCK!!
What are you talking about. The whole point of an education is to teach you to think.
sxetnrdrmr wrote: American public school system is a HUGE...HUGE system of brainwashing/preparation for the separation of people into worker drones and bosses
Every single education system ever is designed to do 2 things:
1. Give the public a fundamental education so they can be productive members of society
2. separate the people who are willing to work hard from the people who arn't. its why we have grading

of course public schools are going to separate the smart people from the stupid ones. half the point of primary education is to figure out what kids have the drive to work hard, and which kids are actually going to succeed in secondary education. that's why we have grades. This is how literally 100% of education systems in the world work.
sxetnrdrmr wrote: In school, we are all herded into the little "box" that is mainstream America...trained to move at certain times like cattle to the next pen; our minds are consistently crushed by the drone of "baseball, Apple Pie, 2.5 kids, white picket fences, investment funds and the mighty dollar"
again, what does this even mean? i don't even really have a response to the cattle thing, cause it doesn't make any sense, unless you're saying they try and train us to think in a certain way. in which case why the hell not? Schools push thinking in a forward direction, in no way do i see any negatives in that.

and I'm sorry that you don't approve of the norms of society today...
nobody pushes sports, people just love sports. everybody in the world loves sports, everyone. even people who dont know what sports is love sports.
I have no idea if apple pie is in reference to food or technology

Also i dont understand why in every post you make about society you bag on the fact that currency exists. Stop telling us you don't like money. everyone likes money, if you dont like money you're lying. The only people i have ever met that have tried to tell me they dont like money are people who didn't try hard enough in school, and either didn't go to college or picked some half *beep* liberal arts major, and then just spout the same "I'm doing it cause i love it, its not about the money, i dont want money to be happy" stuff. Thats fine that you're happy with what you're doing, but i would much rather have schools telling my kids "Pick something you want to do, but be realistic and do something that is going to end up being financially beneficial to you in the long run" than "Do what you want, and expect that society will want you to be a Starbucks Batista well into your 40s to support that womens studies degree" Financial stability is a good thing. it isnt evil. It lets you continue on with the hobbies you enjoy. I would much rather have a different job, and not have my hobbies become my work, cause then my hobbies become work.
sxetnrdrmr wrote: Anyone who thinks/acts/dresses outside of the box is quickly corrected until they assume the role, or pushed away so as to not challenge the majorities way of thinking(control)
Nobody ever has told anyone "dont think outside the box"....

also, Do you know why everyone hates hipsters and punk kids? because nothing that they actually do differently than the rest of the group is actually beneficial in any way, its just stupid and a waste of productive time. the only thing hipsters have ever done to benefit me or the people around me is either raise a testing curve cause studying was to mainstream, or making me look incredibly good in a playing audition because their playing technique was to cool to conform to the one we were being asked to play.

also you should be pretty happy that people who are way too far outside the box get corrected pretty quickly, or are at least stifled a little bit, cause there are some pretty weird people in the world, and not having to put up with them makes my day significantly better.




The only thing wrong with american schools is that the pressure to pass has shifted from the students to the teachers, and now the teachers have to compensate in order to make sure kids pass. either by making easier curriculum or having super curves that reward lazy students.

I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, but I literally can't ever agree with a single thing you post on here regarding real life because I dont think you see the world in a big picture view. Every time you post something regarding education or politics i facepalm multiple times throughout the post because it doesn't make sense.
ok...before I even attempt to try to make you understand what I am talking about, I need to have you honestly answer some questions or affirm some things for me. I only know you from posts on the site about drumming and other things, but am getting a clear picture of your background, so I want to see if my guesses are right. Once again, this is not a slam, it is me doing an experiment. I want to know if it is going to be a waste of time to pursue the topic with you. Again, please answer honestly:

1. you are between 19 and 25 (I think you go to Purdue or Notre Dame right?)
2. you have grown up in a middle or upper middle class family
3. mom and dad both went to college, and both worked white collar jobs
4. you grew up in the midwest, in a suburb of a medium sized city
5. you went to a HS where the population of Whites was greater than 90%
6. your family, and you, are moderately religious and definitely Conservative
7. you have never had to solely support yourself without help from mom or dad or scholarships
8. you are not paying anything out of your own pocket for college expenses (tuition)
9. you have not worked a "career" type job yet,

if you answer "yes" to more than 2 of any of the above questions other than #1, you probably will not get where I am coming from with most of my posts about "the big picture"or "real life" . Once again, I am not meaning to be snotty with you, but if you only have a limited idea of what "real life" or the "big picture" is, I can not [possibly have a legitimate discussion. It would be like someone trying to have a discussion about string theory with me...I just don't get it!
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Image

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans


MPolarinakis Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:43 am

Re: what does being "christian" really mean

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:49 am



sxetnrdrmr wrote:
MPolarinakis wrote:
sxetnrdrmr wrote:
Then into school...and the American public school system is a HUGE...HUGE system of brainwashing/preparation for the separation of people into worker drones and bosses. In school, we are all herded into the little "box" that is mainstream America...trained to move at certain times like cattle to the next pen; our minds are consistently crushed by the drone of "baseball, Apple Pie, 2.5 kids, white picket fences, investment funds and the mighty dollar" Anyone who thinks/acts/dresses outside of the box is quickly corrected until they assume the role, or pushed away so as to not challenge the majorities way of thinking(control). It is really sick...

PUNK ROCK!!
What are you talking about. The whole point of an education is to teach you to think.
sxetnrdrmr wrote: American public school system is a HUGE...HUGE system of brainwashing/preparation for the separation of people into worker drones and bosses
Every single education system ever is designed to do 2 things:
1. Give the public a fundamental education so they can be productive members of society
2. separate the people who are willing to work hard from the people who arn't. its why we have grading

of course public schools are going to separate the smart people from the stupid ones. half the point of primary education is to figure out what kids have the drive to work hard, and which kids are actually going to succeed in secondary education. that's why we have grades. This is how literally 100% of education systems in the world work.
sxetnrdrmr wrote: In school, we are all herded into the little "box" that is mainstream America...trained to move at certain times like cattle to the next pen; our minds are consistently crushed by the drone of "baseball, Apple Pie, 2.5 kids, white picket fences, investment funds and the mighty dollar"
again, what does this even mean? i don't even really have a response to the cattle thing, cause it doesn't make any sense, unless you're saying they try and train us to think in a certain way. in which case why the hell not? Schools push thinking in a forward direction, in no way do i see any negatives in that.

and I'm sorry that you don't approve of the norms of society today...
nobody pushes sports, people just love sports. everybody in the world loves sports, everyone. even people who dont know what sports is love sports.
I have no idea if apple pie is in reference to food or technology

Also i dont understand why in every post you make about society you bag on the fact that currency exists. Stop telling us you don't like money. everyone likes money, if you dont like money you're lying. The only people i have ever met that have tried to tell me they dont like money are people who didn't try hard enough in school, and either didn't go to college or picked some half *beep* liberal arts major, and then just spout the same "I'm doing it cause i love it, its not about the money, i dont want money to be happy" stuff. Thats fine that you're happy with what you're doing, but i would much rather have schools telling my kids "Pick something you want to do, but be realistic and do something that is going to end up being financially beneficial to you in the long run" than "Do what you want, and expect that society will want you to be a Starbucks Batista well into your 40s to support that womens studies degree" Financial stability is a good thing. it isnt evil. It lets you continue on with the hobbies you enjoy. I would much rather have a different job, and not have my hobbies become my work, cause then my hobbies become work.
sxetnrdrmr wrote: Anyone who thinks/acts/dresses outside of the box is quickly corrected until they assume the role, or pushed away so as to not challenge the majorities way of thinking(control)
Nobody ever has told anyone "dont think outside the box"....

also, Do you know why everyone hates hipsters and punk kids? because nothing that they actually do differently than the rest of the group is actually beneficial in any way, its just stupid and a waste of productive time. the only thing hipsters have ever done to benefit me or the people around me is either raise a testing curve cause studying was to mainstream, or making me look incredibly good in a playing audition because their playing technique was to cool to conform to the one we were being asked to play.

also you should be pretty happy that people who are way too far outside the box get corrected pretty quickly, or are at least stifled a little bit, cause there are some pretty weird people in the world, and not having to put up with them makes my day significantly better.




The only thing wrong with american schools is that the pressure to pass has shifted from the students to the teachers, and now the teachers have to compensate in order to make sure kids pass. either by making easier curriculum or having super curves that reward lazy students.

I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, but I literally can't ever agree with a single thing you post on here regarding real life because I dont think you see the world in a big picture view. Every time you post something regarding education or politics i facepalm multiple times throughout the post because it doesn't make sense.
ok...before I even attempt to try to make you understand what I am talking about, I need to have you honestly answer some questions or affirm some things for me. I only know you from posts on the site about drumming and other things, but am getting a clear picture of your background, so I want to see if my guesses are right. Once again, this is not a slam, it is me doing an experiment. I want to know if it is going to be a waste of time to pursue the topic with you. Again, please answer honestly:

1. you are between 19 and 25 (I think you go to Purdue or Notre Dame right?)
2. you have grown up in a middle or upper middle class family
3. mom and dad both went to college, and both worked white collar jobs
4. you grew up in the midwest, in a suburb of a medium sized city
5. you went to a HS where the population of Whites was greater than 90%
6. your family, and you, are moderately religious and definitely Conservative
7. you have never had to solely support yourself without help from mom or dad or scholarships
8. you are not paying anything out of your own pocket for college expenses (tuition)
9. you have not worked a "career" type job yet,

if you answer "yes" to more than 2 of any of the above questions other than #1, you probably will not get where I am coming from with most of my posts about "the big picture"or "real life" . Once again, I am not meaning to be snotty with you, but if you only have a limited idea of what "real life" or the "big picture" is, I can not [possibly have a legitimate discussion. It would be like someone trying to have a discussion about string theory with me...I just don't get it!
i answer yes to 3 of those other than #1, and yes i do feel like i have a pretty wholeistic view on life in general.
'10 '11 '12 '13

'09 '10 '11 '13


for clarification, see related GIF
Image


Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 1 of 3 [ 63 posts ]





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum