I play snare.

Bassnare Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: romney vs obama

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:55 pm

1. Obama or Romney
2. Yes
3. I'll probably vote for Gary Johnson because I agree with almost everything the Libertarian Party stands for. The inner liberal in me wants to vote for Jill Stein, but in the end I don't think I will. In any case, I don't want to support the two-party system.
Last edited by Bassnare on Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jplovesthequads Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:06 pm

1. It's close but i'd say Obama
2. Yes
3. Probably Obama since his approach on social issues imo are better than Romney's. As for Economic, eh they're both at some ups and downs.
PPCHS-Bass/Quads/Snare '10-'13
MGAMB- Snare '12
FSU Big 8- Quads '14-15

HaViiK Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:06 pm

-Steven Wright

Rustburg High School:
  • Bass 05, 06
    Snare 07, 09
    Tenor 08
    Instructor: 2010-Present, Undefeated in 2011

@Steven_HokieDT
http://www.facebook.com/steven.T.wright

dlinebass5 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:57 pm

The real question is, "What governmental offices outside the Presidency are you voting to determine?". Answer that successfully, and you'll do yourself a whole lot more good than you would voting for just a Presidential candidate.

That said, I welcome anyone with a legitimate reason to vote for Mitt Romney that is purely, consistently, and irrefutably positive in only his regard. I haven't heard one yet.

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:49 am

Can't vote (because I'm Canadian). Don't care who wins, our system of government is totally jacked up. Vote in your local elections. Take the money out of politics
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Obama will likely win. Its the congressional results that will decide what happens over the next four years.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.

swissflamdrag Offline
chops master
chops master

Re:

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:36 pm

Ill be voting for Texas Democrats runing for the Senate and Congress

but as much as I like Obama ill probably be voting for Gary Johnson
Northwest High School class of '12
Forte 2011 Snare

ottomagne Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:27 pm

hotbeats645 wrote:Can't vote (because I'm Canadian). Don't care who wins, our system of government is totally jacked up. Vote in your local elections. Take the money out of politics
This is where more participation is greatly needed and greatly underestimated. Anyone who says "my vote doesn't matter" has not looked into their local politics very much.
tommyservo7 wrote:Obama will likely win. Its the congressional results that will decide what happens over the next four years.
I'm calling his win through his incumbency advantage. As split as everything is, I think any advantage can tip the scales, and that's a pretty big one for the current president.

It's all words.
ImageImage

Drum bandin' since twenty o' seven.

'10 '13
'11'13

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:59 pm

flamtaps5 wrote:1. Who do you think will win?
I hope Obama
flamtaps5 wrote:2. Are you voting?
you better believe it
flamtaps5 wrote:3. Who do you support and why?
Obama, because I believe that his policies will be the best for my future in the country, and that we are only beginning to see the effects of his policies because we are still living in the wake of the Dubya debacle. It always takes a couple years for policies to take effect, unless they are defense policies.

I firmly believe that the only people that will see the benefit of Romney's policies are the upper 1%. Also, Romney would try to continue the right wing, neo-Conservative Christian Theocracy that the Bushies were trying to instill.

I really wish that i could vote for Jill Stein, but know that unfortunately in this country a vote for any of the other parties is a vote for Romney...it would be cool to see Obama put Stein into his administration somehow...

in an unofficial online quiz I took, I identified with Stein the most, and then Obama 2nd
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

lij2015 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:50 pm

If I could vote I would definitely vote for Obama, I don't see Romney's tax plan working out. Also he's a close-minded right wing conservative.
Green Party wouldn't be a bad choice considering what they stand for though, in that online quiz I got like 90+% siding with Stein, I also got 90+% Obama.
Dominion storm: 2011, 2012 Vibes/Marimba
James Madison University

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:28 pm

lij2015 wrote:If I could vote I would definitely vote for Obama, I don't see Romney's tax plan working out. Also he's a close-minded right wing conservative.
Green Party wouldn't be a bad choice considering what they stand for though, in that online quiz I got like 90+% siding with Stein, I also got 90+% Obama.
Just straighten our ducks, Mitt Romney is by no means a close-minded conservative. At his core he is a centrist Republican as was common from 1980-2008. He governed Massachusetts liberally, promoting health care reform and environmental protection. However, he appears to me to have no dedication to his beliefs. He is completely abandoning his ideology and marching to the tune of the GOP's right wing.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.

lij2015 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:11 am

tommyservo7 wrote:
lij2015 wrote:If I could vote I would definitely vote for Obama, I don't see Romney's tax plan working out. Also he's a close-minded right wing conservative.
Just straighten our ducks, Mitt Romney is by no means a close-minded conservative. At his core he is a centrist Republican as was common from 1980-2008. He governed Massachusetts liberally, promoting health care reform and environmental protection. However, he appears to me to have no dedication to his beliefs. He is completely abandoning his ideology and marching to the tune of the GOP's right wing.
That's half of what I meant to say. I support "Obamacare" and like that he did it in his state, but when he gets on stage he acts like your accusing him of murder. He also used to support abortion and gay marriage according the videos, and then that went out the window.
And I'll bring religion into this, Mormonism just rustles my jimmies.
James Madison University

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Re:

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:58 pm

I actually identify closest with the Green party, but feel like if I vote for them, I am actually voting for Romney. I hate our 2 party system...it is very UNdemocratic...I wish we could have a system where the incumbent party is not allowed to run in the upcoming race, and all of the parties were equally represented in the media/debates/ballots etc
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

MPolarinakis Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Re:

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:36 am

sxetnrdrmr wrote:I actually identify closest with the Green party, but feel like if I vote for them, I am actually voting for Romney. I hate our 2 party system...it is very UNdemocratic...I wish we could have a system where the incumbent party is not allowed to run in the upcoming race, and all of the parties were equally represented in the media/debates/ballots etc

If the incumbent party wasn't allowed to run for office nothing would ever happen. If all of the parties were equally represented you wouldent hear about anything at all
'10 '11 '12 '13

'09 '10 '11 '13

for clarification, see related GIF

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:06 am

MPolarinakis wrote:
sxetnrdrmr wrote:I actually identify closest with the Green party, but feel like if I vote for them, I am actually voting for Romney. I hate our 2 party system...it is very UNdemocratic...I wish we could have a system where the incumbent party is not allowed to run in the upcoming race, and all of the parties were equally represented in the media/debates/ballots etc

If the incumbent party wasn't allowed to run for office nothing would ever happen. If all of the parties were equally represented you wouldent hear about anything at all

I don't understand where you are coming from....but let me make myself a bit more clear...

my incumbent party idea would only be if we were running a true multi-party system. I did not mean to have that happen in the current system...

...and I don't get how if all of the parties had equal air time and press coverage, that we wouldn't hear about anything.

On another topic....

I have also always believed that to get rid of the unbelievably unfair and corrupt campaign system we have now, the news/media/advertising outlets should have to donate their time/space/endeavors to disseminating information about the different candidates platforms. Since most money raised by each candidate is spent on this, it would get rid of the need to do all of the lobbying and stuff. I feel like the media outlets should donate their rescources because the elections and voting are an intrinsic ideal that the country is built on.

Now, that being said, capitalism is also an intrinsic ideal that this country is built on (whether you like it or not...) so I guess that I can see why the different outlets want to seize the opportunity to make all of that money.

I guess that I just wish there was not hing as currency...that everything held equal value from everything else. It would get rid of a lot of the negative elements of our society...
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

Cubee Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:21 pm

sxetnrdrmr wrote:
MPolarinakis wrote:

I don't understand where you are coming from....but let me make myself a bit more clear...

my incumbent party idea would only be if we were running a true multi-party system. I did not mean to have that happen in the current system...

...and I don't get how if all of the parties had equal air time and press coverage, that we wouldn't hear about anything.

On another topic....

I have also always believed that to get rid of the unbelievably unfair and corrupt campaign system we have now, the news/media/advertising outlets should have to donate their time/space/endeavors to disseminating information about the different candidates platforms. Since most money raised by each candidate is spent on this, it would get rid of the need to do all of the lobbying and stuff. I feel like the media outlets should donate their rescources because the elections and voting are an intrinsic ideal that the country is built on.

Now, that being said, capitalism is also an intrinsic ideal that this country is built on (whether you like it or not...) so I guess that I can see why the different outlets want to seize the opportunity to make all of that money.

I guess that I just wish there was not hing as currency...that everything held equal value from everything else. It would get rid of a lot of the negative elements of our society...

Barring the incumbent party from running in elections is quite an undemocratic concept. If this where to happen in a PR system (the only place where you find true multiparty systems), you're talking about refusing a plurality of the population's freedom to be governed according to their own will.

Democracy only ensures political freedom (the freedom to be governed only by wills that align with your own) when the individual's will aligns with the will of the majority. If the will of the majority goes periodically unrepresented in government, such a system would ensure that a plurality of the population would be politically unfree every other cycle. There is no rational argument for individuals to accept this system if it would ensure that they would be unfree once every cycle.

I do agree that we do need reform on the way elections are funded. I think more direct solution would be to have public financing of elections with private donations either limited to being very small ($100 max) or restricted entirely. Candidates would have the ability to allocate their resources strategically however they like, and it would require less interference into the private sector (the media). I don't expect to see this happening any time soon though... Congress is moving away from this direction, if anything.
Q

ottomagne Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:37 pm

Unfortunately, trying to reformat the political system is almost a moot goal since the method for reformatting the political system has to go through elected officials involved in politics... who have a vested interest in not reforming the system since most reformations being pushed for decrease the chances of those elected officials being reelected.
ImageImage

'10 '13
'11'13

Bassnare Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:41 pm

The problem is our voting system.

lij2015 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:22 pm

I have honestly never learned so much from one video.
And if you watch the alternative vote explanation it sounds like a much better system!
James Madison University

Cubee Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:41 pm

lij2015 wrote:I have honestly never learned so much from one video.
And if you watch the alternative vote explanation it sounds like a much better system!
AV does sound better, but it also caries some serious flaws. AV systems are prone to monotonacity violations. In plain English, this means that getting more votes can actually hurt a candidate in the election. You can read a somewhat long winded explanation of how this works here, if you'd like. Some models show that monotonacity violations occur in up to 15% of elections.
Australia actually uses this system, but they do not release enough info about the ballots for political scientists to determine if monotonacity violations are actually occurring.

AV has it's issues, but so does every voting system.
Q

ottomagne Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:35 pm

Bassnare wrote:The problem is our voting system.

I love CGPGrey so much.
ImageImage

'10 '13
'11'13

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:28 am

A vote for Gary Johnson or any other 3rd party is not only a vote wasted, but a vote FOR Mitt Romney.

Don't waste your vote.

Bassnare Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:40 am

TVOham wrote:A vote for Gary Johnson or any other 3rd party is not only a vote wasted, but a vote FOR Mitt Romney.

Don't waste your vote.
That's just more evidence that our voting system needs to be improved.

Besides, I don't live in a swing state and our president is not elected by pure popular vote.

Also, Gary Johnson, as a libertarian, is in the unique position of appealing to both conservative and liberal voters.

lij2015 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:10 am

Bassnare wrote:
TVOham wrote:A vote for Gary Johnson or any other 3rd party is not only a vote wasted, but a vote FOR Mitt Romney.

Don't waste your vote.
That's just more evidence that our voting system needs to be improved.

Besides, I don't live in a swing state and our president is not elected by pure popular vote.

Also, Gary Johnson, as a libertarian, is in the unique position of appealing to both conservative and liberal voters.
As well as Gary Johnson being very awkward(From the interviews I've watched).
James Madison University