Judged for eating Chick-fil-a?

discuss and debate ideas and issues in a respectful manner

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

☼▲ITAOTS▲☼ Offline
noob
noob

Re: Judged for eating Chick-fil-a?

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:50 pm

I think "homophobia" is a ridiculous term. I don't support gay marriage but i'm also not afraid of homosexuals

lij2015 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:54 am

I personally think homophobia isn't an "illness" or whatever it's accepted as. That's literally just a medical sticker that says, "I hate a race of people".
It's exactly the same as if I claimed I had Negrophobia or Beanerphobia.
Dominion storm: 2011, 2012 Vibes/Marimba
James Madison University

Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:01 am

F your moral *beep* im gonna keep buying chick-fil-a
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:47 am

lij2015 wrote:I personally think homophobia isn't an "illness" or whatever it's accepted as. That's literally just a medical sticker that says, "I hate a race of people".
It's exactly the same as if I claimed I had Negrophobia or Beanerphobia.

...uhhh, but Homosexuals are not a race...and a phobia is not an illness. It does indicate a person who fears homosexuality. I would say that a phobia is a condition, not an illness...

and I would definitely say that I am in the camp where I personally would not choose a man over a woman, but I don't really care if others do, as long as they don't hit on me. So I don't fear the people that are gay, but I definitely don't see the act of same sex interaction as pleasing or attractive...
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:29 am

sxetnrdrmr wrote:[.

and I would definitely say that I am in the camp where I personally would not choose a man over a woman, but I don't really care if others do, as long as they don't hit on me. So I don't fear the people that are gay, but I definitely don't see the act of same sex interaction as pleasing or attractive...
my man!
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:27 pm

hotbeats645 wrote:
sxetnrdrmr wrote:[.

my man!
GO LEAFS GO!!!!
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

SnareSauce Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:36 pm

ultimately, anyone who openly protests chick-fil-a is a hypocrite.

disagreeing with them is awesome. excercise freedom. don't buy their stuff. don't eat their food. if i ask you to drive me there, you can even say no. if somebody asks you about it, tell them why you disagree and how you're upholding your convictions by not purchasing food from them.

but don't try to say their opinion is wrong or that they can't send money wherever they darn well please.

if you're willing to actually be vocally negative and judgemental towards anyone for having different convictions than you, then you're a giant circular pile of hypocricy.

use your convictions to drive you to become an expert chef in making chicken sandwiches yourself! it's not like chick fil a is the first person to put chicken and bread together and eat it.
Josh Detwiler

LCA Marching Bulldogs
Quads '06-'08 ~ Drum Captain '08-'09 ~ Drum Instructor '12
LU Spirit of the Mountain Marching Band
Quads '09-'12
LU Indoor Drumline
Quads '12
https://www.facebook.com/Snaresauce

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:12 pm

SnareSauce wrote:ultimately, anyone who openly protests chick-fil-a is a hypocrite.

disagreeing with them is awesome. excercise freedom. don't buy their stuff. don't eat their food. if i ask you to drive me there, you can even say no. if somebody asks you about it, tell them why you disagree and how you're upholding your convictions by not purchasing food from them.

but don't try to say their opinion is wrong or that they can't send money wherever they darn well please.

if you're willing to actually be vocally negative and judgemental towards anyone for having different convictions than you, then you're a giant circular pile of hypocricy.

use your convictions to drive you to become an expert chef in making chicken sandwiches yourself! it's not like chick fil a is the first person to put chicken and bread together and eat it.
So all protesting is hypocrisy?
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:15 pm

SnareSauce wrote:ultimately, anyone who openly protests chick-fil-a is a hypocrite.

...buuuuuut, isn't that what the CEO is saying/doing? Being openly judgmental of people in same-sex relationships? He is using a VERY LARGE forum to say "I am going to single out a certain group of people and say that they are wrong for their beliefs" He has very different convictions than A LOT of people...and they are voicing their opinion. He opened up the can of worms...
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

SnareSauce Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:58 pm

sxetnrdrmr wrote:

...buuuuuut, isn't that what the CEO is saying/doing? Being openly judgmental of people in same-sex relationships? He is using a VERY LARGE forum to say "I am going to single out a certain group of people and say that they are wrong for their beliefs" He has very different convictions than A LOT of people...and they are voicing their opinion. He opened up the can of worms...
from my understanding, his position on the issue was prompted with a question. He didn't run around spouting it, somebody asked him and he answered. if i'm wrong, correct me.

and you're definitely right, he's using a very large forum, though he probably didn't wake up that morning expecting to.

however, he isn't saying homosexuals are "wrong". he's saying homosexual activity is against his beliefs. just like me saying drunk driving is wrong doesn't mean that drunks are "wrong". not a perfect comparison, but the principal is there.

i'd also like to point out that his convictions don't prevent him from judging peoples actions, should he choose to. in clearer terms,

"Judging someone to be in the wrong because they judged someone else is a logical contradiction, because it necessarily puts you in the wrong."
Josh Detwiler

LCA Marching Bulldogs
Quads '09-'12
LU Indoor Drumline
Quads '12

SnareSauce Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:13 am

tommyservo7 wrote:

So all protesting is hypocrisy?
Haha no. sorry if it came across that way.
Josh Detwiler

LCA Marching Bulldogs
Quads '09-'12
LU Indoor Drumline
Quads '12

KennaSnare2009 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:31 am

I don't understand why people don't realize that the opinion of this man is not what people are protesting. It's where he gives his money to. I don't agree with his beliefs, but he still has his rights to his opinions. He has a right to send money to where ever he so pleases, but I would say he is in the wrong for giving it to extremist anti-gay groups. He is basically funding violence to homosexual people. And that's wrong. If I was to own a huge company and give my money to say...the KKK, people wouldn't support that. The KKK might seem like a worse organization, but it still supports the same thing: harm and inequality to a group of people you don't think deserves the same basic rights as you and me. (you being in general, not you personal)
Marble Falls High School Snare 06-07
Marble Falls High School Center Snare 07-08
Marble Falls High School Center Snare 08-09, Section Leader, Band President

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:01 am

KennaSnare2009 wrote:I don't understand why people don't realize that the opinion of this man is not what people are protesting. It's where he gives his money to. I don't agree with his beliefs, but he still has his rights to his opinions. He has a right to send money to where ever he so pleases, but I would say he is in the wrong for giving it to extremist anti-gay groups. He is basically funding violence to homosexual people. And that's wrong. If I was to own a huge company and give my money to say...the KKK, people wouldn't support that. The KKK might seem like a worse organization, but it still supports the same thing: harm and inequality to a group of people you don't think deserves the same basic rights as you and me. (you being in general, not you personal)

this is because in america, how you spend your money is protected by free speech. this is also why people can give unlimited contributions to political candidates.

SnareSauce Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:16 am

KennaSnare2009 wrote:I don't understand why people don't realize that the opinion of this man is not what people are protesting. It's where he gives his money to. I don't agree with his beliefs, but he still has his rights to his opinions. He has a right to send money to where ever he so pleases, but I would say he is in the wrong for giving it to extremist anti-gay groups. He is basically funding violence to homosexual people. And that's wrong. If I was to own a huge company and give my money to say...the KKK, people wouldn't support that. The KKK might seem like a worse organization, but it still supports the same thing: harm and inequality to a group of people you don't think deserves the same basic rights as you and me. (you being in general, not you personal)

I get what you're saying. let me suggest that one reason "people don't realize that the opinion of this man is not what people are protesting" is because not everyone is protesting the same thing. there are MILLIONS of people who are in "protest" against chic fil a, and i can't imagine they all have the same agenda. many of them are probably clouding the actual goal with their hatred of the man or his opinions. so forgive me for assuming too much.

why not protest the group then? why not go to the problem and stop it there? the Leader of chic fil a is providing money to people who take action based on a conviction he has, and those people's conduct is directly relevant to your life and freedoms, right? wouldn't it make more sense to protest that organization directly, then? at least if your primary goal was to effect immediate change? what do you think?

i think that a great many people are willing to jump on the latest "criticize this person" bus, until it costs them something. I'm not saying you're like that, KennaSnare2009. but i know that some people are, and that leaves me a little sore, i guess.
Josh Detwiler

LCA Marching Bulldogs
Quads '09-'12
LU Indoor Drumline
Quads '12

JLbluefan09 Offline
snarescience addict
snarescience addict

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:46 pm

I'm 100% for gay marriage. I'm 100% for chicken sandwiches.

I had a thought the other day. What if an obvious gay couple (two men or two women holding hands) came into Chick-Fil-A? Would they be rejected service?

(I'm not too familiar with laws so please excuse my ignorance)
Gateway Indoor
'12 rack
'13 synth

Music City Drum Corps
'12 synth
pearltenors wrote:IM 13 OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lij2015 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:14 pm

JLbluefan09 wrote:I'm 100% for gay marriage. I'm 100% for chicken sandwiches.

I had a thought the other day. What if an obvious gay couple (two men or two women holding hands) came into Chick-Fil-A? Would they be rejected service?

I have a friend who works at chick fil a, got the job before the comment by the CEO and doesn't agree with the CEO's views.
Hell he worked 12 hours on the national support chick fil a day and he said that the employees were told to not deny any service and to say there not for or against the argument.
Dominion storm: 2011, 2012 Vibes/Marimba
James Madison University

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:01 pm

lij2015 wrote:

I have a friend who works at chick fil a, got the job before the comment by the CEO and doesn't agree with the CEO's views.
Hell he worked 12 hours on the national support chick fil a day and he said that the employees were told to not deny any service and to say there not for or against the argument.
that sounds about right..."clam up to save the Corporation from any law suits"

I don't think that they deny service though. i have never heard of that happening...or at least I doubt it is in the training manual/rulebook. I don'tthink they are THAT wrapped up in it
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:27 pm

sxetnrdrmr wrote:
lij2015 wrote:

I don't think that they deny service though. i have never heard of that happening...or at least I doubt it is in the training manual/rulebook. I don'tthink they are THAT wrapped up in it
they don't deny service. the company itself isn't inherently homophobic-the CEO uses portions of the profit he makes from his company to fund certain groups that do discriminate against gays. It's a sticky situation. As long as money is viewed as "free speech" (ie nobody can tell you where your money can go to) there's nothing anybody can really do about it.

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:14 am

hotbeats645 wrote:
sxetnrdrmr wrote:
lij2015 wrote: I have a friend who works at chick fil a, got the job before the comment by the CEO and doesn't agree with the CEO's views.

they don't deny service. the company itself isn't inherently homophobic-the CEO uses portions of the profit he makes from his company to fund certain groups that do discriminate against gays. It's a sticky situation. As long as money is viewed as "free speech" (ie nobody can tell you where your money can go to) there's nothing anybody can really do about it.
thats why you should always Vote/Protest With Your Wallet...that way at least you know where your money is going. Sadly, money is the most powerful force, hands down, in the US
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans