What if Cannabis Cured Cancer?

discuss and debate ideas and issues in a respectful manner

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth


Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 2 of 5 [ 102 posts ]
Message
Author
sQuiGglyMuFflYWiGS Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
User avatar
Posts: 441
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:25 am

Re: What if Cannabis Cured Cancer?

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:37 am



MPolarinakis wrote:
sQuiGglyMuFflYWiGS wrote:
TVOham wrote:The only people who advocate for marijuana (and I know this because I was one of them) are dopers who smoke it.

Marijuana is a drug. It compromises your judgement. It puts not only yourself at risk (from yourself), but also others around you. Anytime you're inhaling chemicals that alter your brain you're going to be a danger to yourself and others. If marijuana WERE legalized, it would have to be EXTREMELY regulated (even more so than alcohol).

To be clear, I'm FOR legalizing marijuana, but when people try to justify their own use of it by pretending it has no negative side effects it just *beep* me off.
Well i personally wouldnt consider myself a doper but i guess if i smoke it those are the rules. There are ways to get the benefits from the plant without harmful smoke. Vaporizing and edibles being two of the most popular alternatives both having no foreseeable negative side effects other than getting too high. So is Weed harmless? yes. The way people choose to use it is where the risk is developed. Out of curiosity, how do you think it puts myself at risk along with the people around me?
MPolarinakis wrote:
I've had organic food. that's the only kinda food that my parents eat at home.

if you like paying like twice as much for your food go for it, but personally I'd rather save money.
As i said i can grow my own so im really not paying that much when i do get groceries. If you like saving your money instead of putting quality nutrition in your body go for it. Just let me know how those strips taste when that's all you have left because you cant buy anything anymore because we've rendered the dollar useless.
It is useless to try and have any kind of Intelligent discussion with people like you, quality nutrition is dependent on what foods you eat, not on if it's grown on unfertlized soil without any kind of pest regulation or shipping preservatives. I'd like to think I'm a pretty healthy guy, and over 2/3 of the foods I buy are the great value Walmart brands. People get organic food cause it's the "cool thing to do" like buying a $100 pair of jeans from hollister that costs $8 at JCPennys because it's more hip. And I highly highly doubt the dollar is going to inflate to a point that's useless, and isn't even relevant to the point I was making.

I'm also completely stunned that you're trying to point that me being fiscally responsible with my money is a bad thing, and that I'm somehow going to be worse off in the future cause I manage my funds wisely. I don't even know how to respond to that.
Well I don't know how you can know its useless to try and have Intelligent discussions with "people like me" the main reason behind that being you don't even know me. How could you know what kind of person I am? I'd like to consider myself intelligent I don't really mind how others view how others perceive my intellect or my quality of conversation because its usually just a cop out to leave a discussion. I do agree the quality of nutrition is dependent on the food you eat so wouldn't higher quality food have higher quality nutrition? Yeah eating organic foods is cool everyone should try it not because its expensive but because its great food. I wasn't attempting to imply financial awareness is a bad thing. I was merely poking fun at the fact you'd let the contents of your wallet take precedence of the contents of your body haha. That's ok a majority of people think this way, I'm not trying to hurt your feelings or anything I just found it humorous.

but if you really wanna talk about food make a thread here isnt the place.

i <3 Ganja
Norristown Drumline
04-09: Bottom Bass/cymbals
United Percussion
2010-2012: Bass 5, 3, 2
Reading Buccaneers
2010: Bass 3
2013: Bass 1
Carolina Crown
2011: Bass 4
Imperial Dynasty
2013: Bass 3
Teal Sound
BassTech 7/9/2012


tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops
Posts: 3808
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:58 pm
Location: New Jersey/Indiana

Re: What if Cannabis Cured Cancer?

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:53 pm



MPolarinakis wrote:
sQuiGglyMuFflYWiGS wrote:
TVOham wrote:Do I really need to explain to you how your judgement is compromised when you're high on a drug?




By the way, out of curiosity are any of you actually using Cannabis for medical purposes or are you just using the people who do as an excuse to defend your bad habits?

No you dont need to explain that, but I would like to hear how It's a danger to myself and the people around me. Now I am only speaking for myself since I don't know how the people around me behave in every situation, but I know exactly what I can or can't do and when they are appropriate. When I see no potential risk in doing something while on cannabis I'll do it, because I know myself, I know my limits, and I know when I physically can't do something. I use it medicinally, I'm not terminal or anything but for psychological woes, muscle relaxation (especially good for stretching), dream enhancement, appetite regulator, imagination spark, aphrodisiac, meditation aid, memory eraser. the list goes on and those all sound like pretty good habits to me. So my question is why do you think medicine should only be for "sick" people.
They only found 1 drug in the Miami face eating zombie mans blood. And that was pot.



/thread
I can't tell if you're being serious about this being your argument.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.


hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen
User avatar
Posts: 4661
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: What if Cannabis Cured Cancer?

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:36 pm



MPolarinakis wrote:
sQuiGglyMuFflYWiGS wrote:
TVOham wrote:Do I really need to explain to you how your judgement is compromised when you're high on a drug?




By the way, out of curiosity are any of you actually using Cannabis for medical purposes or are you just using the people who do as an excuse to defend your bad habits?

No you dont need to explain that, but I would like to hear how It's a danger to myself and the people around me. Now I am only speaking for myself since I don't know how the people around me behave in every situation, but I know exactly what I can or can't do and when they are appropriate. When I see no potential risk in doing something while on cannabis I'll do it, because I know myself, I know my limits, and I know when I physically can't do something. I use it medicinally, I'm not terminal or anything but for psychological woes, muscle relaxation (especially good for stretching), dream enhancement, appetite regulator, imagination spark, aphrodisiac, meditation aid, memory eraser. the list goes on and those all sound like pretty good habits to me. So my question is why do you think medicine should only be for "sick" people.
They only found 1 drug in the Miami face eating zombie mans blood. And that was pot.



/thread

not sure if serious...........
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.


TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1357
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:57 am

Re: What if Cannabis Cured Cancer?

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:40 pm



tommyservo7 wrote:
TVOham wrote:


Do I really need to explain to you how your judgement is compromised when you're high on a drug?




By the way, out of curiosity are any of you actually using Cannabis for medical purposes or are you just using the people who do as an excuse to defend your bad habits?
Not to be a prick, but have you smoked pot before? I wouldn't say your judgement is altered by it NEARLY as much as while drinking alcohol.

Off-topic: I really thought the thread said "What if Canada Cured Caner?"


Yes, I have. I still did up until 2 months ago. Anyone who tells you that their judgement isn't compromised while "high" is lying to support their argument. I've done some stupid sh*t while high and so have most of the people I know who smoke.


By the way, smoking to "relax your muscles" isn't a medicinal use lmao. That's worse then "I use it to lose weight".
So I'll take from that that none of you are actually using marijuana for medical purposes and as I said before are just using that as your excuse for a bad habit.
Image


hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen
User avatar
Posts: 4661
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: What if Cannabis Cured Cancer?

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:53 pm



TVOham wrote:
tommyservo7 wrote:
TVOham wrote:


Do I really need to explain to you how your judgement is compromised when you're high on a drug?




By the way, out of curiosity are any of you actually using Cannabis for medical purposes or are you just using the people who do as an excuse to defend your bad habits?
Not to be a prick, but have you smoked pot before? I wouldn't say your judgement is altered by it NEARLY as much as while drinking alcohol.

Off-topic: I really thought the thread said "What if Canada Cured Caner?"


Yes, I have. I still did up until 2 months ago. Anyone who tells you that their judgement isn't compromised while "high" is lying to support their argument. I've done some stupid sh*t while high and so have most of the people I know who smoke.


By the way, smoking to "relax your muscles" isn't a medicinal use lmao. That's worse then "I use it to lose weight".
So I'll take from that that none of you are actually using marijuana for medical purposes and as I said before are just using that as your excuse for a bad habit.
It's not a bad habit dude. It all depends on how you use it. Seriously, if you watched the video, some of the positive benefits (that are scientifically proven) are great. Is drinking coffee a bad habit? If I was hurting myself or other people or ruining my life, it would be a bad habit, but I am doing none of these things. Sure, my judgement is impaired. It's not like I drive around trying to hit people high, more like sit in my basement and listen to tunes and practice and compose. It's a formula that works really well for me, and isn't bad in any way shape or form. Smoking to deal with depression, loss of a friend, etc, is personal use and it is well within my rights to self medicate if I don't hurt anybody.


Bottom line is, like squigly-bro said, you don't know me, him, or anybody's habits. Some people abuse weed, sure, and waste their life high, but you can't generalize about it. It's way less harmful (if harmful at all) than drinking, smoking cigs or cigars, taking zoloft, oxy, coke, whatever your boat is
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.


ayeyomaggots Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:36 pm

Re:

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:55 pm



TVOham wrote:Yes, I have. I still did up until 2 months ago. Anyone who tells you that their judgement isn't compromised while "high" is lying to support their argument. I've done some stupid sh*t while high and so have most of the people I know who smoke.


By the way, smoking to "relax your muscles" isn't a medicinal use lmao. That's worse then "I use it to lose weight".
So I'll take from that that none of you are actually using marijuana for medical purposes and as I said before are just using that as your excuse for a bad habit.
what "stupid *beep*" have you done while high? just cause you and some people you know do stupid stuff after smoking doesn't mean that everyone does. i've smoked for a while and I really don't see what you mean by that.

i don't claim to use it for "medical" purposes, but I also don't see why you need an excuse to smoke it. saying that it is a bad habit is purely opinion.
you said earlier that:
TVOham wrote: Anytime you're inhaling chemicals that alter your brain you're going to be a danger to yourself and others.
i would like to see an article showing that the chemicals in weed are dangerous to the user. i understand the properties of smoke would cause harm to your lungs, but I have never read anything stating that the actual chemicals in marijuana cause harm to the body.

don't smoke if you don't want to man, but bashing people who do and saying they have a "bad habit" without sufficient reasoning behind it is just silly
Image
Lee clary wrote:Zelda is just a godly game and i love it play it every day i still have a N64 and a gamecube im hardcore for it.


hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen
User avatar
Posts: 4661
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Re:

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:04 pm



ayeyomaggots wrote:
TVOham wrote: Anytime you're inhaling chemicals that alter your brain you're going to be a danger to yourself and others.
i would like to see an article showing that the chemicals in weed are dangerous to the user. i understand the properties of smoke would cause harm to your lungs, but I have never read anything stating that the actual chemicals in marijuana cause harm to the body.

don't smoke if you don't want to man, but bashing people who do and saying they have a "bad habit" without sufficient reasoning behind it is just silly

one of the main points that is made in the video-all of the recent research shows that THC, the active chemical in weed (that is also naturally created by the body) kills cancer cells, relieves pain and anxiety and helps numerous organs. It also counteracts the negative effect of the tar from the smoke. If you choose to use edibles or a vaporizer, there's no tar to worry about either. There are no current proven studies that show the chemicals in weed are dangerous, because they are not. The science and facts are out there if you look. EVery study done from the 70's that said weed is "bad" for you have been totally disproven, or it's been showed that the experiments were not done in a proper manner and the findings should be deemed inconclusive (for example, the study that showed smoking weed killed brain cells-the chimps were almost suffocated in smoke and lost brain activity due to lack of oxygen).
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.


MPolarinakis Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:43 am

Re: What if Cannabis Cured Cancer?

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:31 pm



tommyservo7 wrote:
MPolarinakis wrote:
sQuiGglyMuFflYWiGS wrote:Do I really need to explain to you how your judgement is compromised when you're high on a drug?




By the way, out of curiosity are any of you actually using Cannabis for medical purposes or are you just using the people who do as an excuse to defend your bad habits?


No you dont need to explain that, but I would like to hear how It's a danger to myself and the people around me. Now I am only speaking for myself since I don't know how the people around me behave in every situation, but I know exactly what I can or can't do and when they are appropriate. When I see no potential risk in doing something while on cannabis I'll do it, because I know myself, I know my limits, and I know when I physically can't do something. I use it medicinally, I'm not terminal or anything but for psychological woes, muscle relaxation (especially good for stretching), dream enhancement, appetite regulator, imagination spark, aphrodisiac, meditation aid, memory eraser. the list goes on and those all sound like pretty good habits to me. So my question is why do you think medicine should only be for "sick" people.
They only found 1 drug in the Miami face eating zombie mans blood. And that was pot.



/thread
I can't tell if you're being serious about this being your argument.
I thought we were using logic fallacies as arguments here. My bad.
'10 '11 '12 '13

'09 '10 '11 '13


for clarification, see related GIF
Image


hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen
User avatar
Posts: 4661
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: What if Cannabis Cured Cancer?

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:36 pm



MPolarinakis wrote:
I thought we were using logic fallacies as arguments here. My bad.
what was his (or my) logical fallacy?
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.


ayeyomaggots Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:36 pm

Re:

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:56 pm



TVOham wrote:The only people who advocate for marijuana (and I know this because I was one of them) are dopers who smoke it.

If marijuana WERE legalized, it would have to be EXTREMELY regulated (even more so than alcohol).
that first statement is not true, plain and simple.
only dopers who smoke it? how about a professor from Harvard that knows first hand how much marijuana can help people that are in pain?
17:58

if you watch the full episode in the video above, you will also see Penn state that he's never smoked weed and still he shows how ridiculous people are for trying to say how "bad" it is

not sufficient? how about a US state senator?
52:48

there are plenty of people (both involved with politics and not) that are advocates who aren't "dopers"

also, in regard to your second statement, WHY would it have to be more regulated than alcohol?
does it impair your judgement more than alcohol? I know that effects vary from person to person for ANY substance, but I don't think anyway can honestly say that they can drive better when drunk rather than stoned.
so in what respect would it have to be regulated more than alcohol?
Image
Lee clary wrote:Zelda is just a godly game and i love it play it every day i still have a N64 and a gamecube im hardcore for it.


hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen
User avatar
Posts: 4661
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: What if Cannabis Cured Cancer?

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:53 pm



let me just say, I'm glad that so far this debate has remained mostly cordial. let's keep it that way. open debate is how knowledge is spread! we may not change each other's minds, but getting know why we believe what we believe is important!
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.


sQuiGglyMuFflYWiGS Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
User avatar
Posts: 441
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:25 am

Re: What if Cannabis Cured Cancer?

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:38 pm



TVOham wrote:
Yes, I have. I still did up until 2 months ago. Anyone who tells you that their judgement isn't compromised while "high" is lying to support their argument. I've done some stupid sh*t while high and so have most of the people I know who smoke.


By the way, smoking to "relax your muscles" isn't a medicinal use lmao. That's worse then "I use it to lose weight".
So I'll take from that that none of you are actually using marijuana for medical purposes and as I said before are just using that as your excuse for a bad habit.
Why isnt that a medicinal use? The ailment is muscular tension, the medicine is marijuana, the result is relaxed muscles. That sounds like medicine to me. You come off as pretty closed minded when you say people you dont even know aren't using their medicine correctly when you dont even know their ailments, or intentions with the drug. It seems to me the only one coming out and saying theyve done dumb *beep* on pot is you, so don't tell us we're using it wrong when youre the only one doing dumb *beep*.
Norristown Drumline
04-09: Bottom Bass/cymbals
United Percussion
2010-2012: Bass 5, 3, 2
Reading Buccaneers
2010: Bass 3
2013: Bass 1
Carolina Crown
2011: Bass 4
Imperial Dynasty
2013: Bass 3
Teal Sound
BassTech 7/9/2012


hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen
User avatar
Posts: 4661
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: What if Cannabis Cured Cancer?

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:22 pm



TVO really likes to generalize
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.


TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1357
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:57 am

Re: What if Cannabis Cured Cancer?

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:23 am



That's too many responses from too many druggies for me to really spend time on.

Since none of you are using it for medical purposes I'll rest my case here and exit the conversation.

I will respond to one thing, and that is the claim that it is "within your rights" to smoke weed. Our rights are determined by the law, and the law says that without a prescription/marijuana card you cannot smoke weed and thus it is not in your rights.

Like I said, I wish I felt more passionately about this debate, but I don't care.
Image


ayeyomaggots Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:36 pm

Re:

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:11 am



TVOham wrote:That's too many responses from too many druggies for me to really spend time on.

Since none of you are using it for medical purposes I'll rest my case here and exit the conversation.

I will respond to one thing, and that is the claim that it is "within your rights" to smoke weed. Our rights are determined by the law, and the law says that without a prescription/marijuana card you cannot smoke weed and thus it is not in your rights.

Like I said, I wish I felt more passionately about this debate, but I don't care.
It's funny how you attack people once you leave a conversation like this. I guess you just can't stand being wrong for once.
What is even more funny is how you don't respond to other people's counterarguments to your flawed points.

I understand that laws are in place for a reason and should be followed. However, if me breaking the law by smoking weed causes no harm to anyone else, then I don't see one reason why I shouldn't smoke other than it's against the law. That's why I'm perfectly okay with breaking it.

If tomorrow congress passed a law abolishing percussion in any form for some bogus reason, would you seriously put down your sticks and mallets forever? Especially with the knowledge that drumming would not cause any harm to anyone and is something that brings you joy?

Phew, thank you for finally exiting the conversation though. Now the rest of us can talk about the glory that is ganja in peace.
Image
Lee clary wrote:Zelda is just a godly game and i love it play it every day i still have a N64 and a gamecube im hardcore for it.


sQuiGglyMuFflYWiGS Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
User avatar
Posts: 441
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:25 am

Re: What if Cannabis Cured Cancer?

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:23 am



TVOham wrote:That's too many responses from too many druggies for me to really spend time on.

Since none of you are using it for medical purposes I'll rest my case here and exit the conversation.

I will respond to one thing, and that is the claim that it is "within your rights" to smoke weed. Our rights are determined by the law, and the law says that without a prescription/marijuana card you cannot smoke weed and thus it is not in your rights.

Like I said, I wish I felt more passionately about this debate, but I don't care.
Natural Selection! I just hope that in the future if you dont feel strong enough to debate (I associate passion with feeling strong), don't enter. Those of us who actually care what we are talking about do have that passion and strength and are ready to fight for what we believe. No matter what claims you make about medical or not I know what intentions I have with my devices and ill never back down from that so its best all the mental midgets get away before my Alpha male mentality devours them alive.
Norristown Drumline
04-09: Bottom Bass/cymbals
United Percussion
2010-2012: Bass 5, 3, 2
Reading Buccaneers
2010: Bass 3
2013: Bass 1
Carolina Crown
2011: Bass 4
Imperial Dynasty
2013: Bass 3
Teal Sound
BassTech 7/9/2012


TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1357
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:57 am

Re: Re:

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:13 am



ayeyomaggots wrote:
TVOham wrote:That's too many responses from too many druggies for me to really spend time on.

Since none of you are using it for medical purposes I'll rest my case here and exit the conversation.

I will respond to one thing, and that is the claim that it is "within your rights" to smoke weed. Our rights are determined by the law, and the law says that without a prescription/marijuana card you cannot smoke weed and thus it is not in your rights.

Like I said, I wish I felt more passionately about this debate, but I don't care.
It's funny how you attack people once you leave a conversation like this. I guess you just can't stand being wrong for once.
What is even more funny is how you don't respond to other people's counterarguments to your flawed points.

I understand that laws are in place for a reason and should be followed. However, if me breaking the law by smoking weed causes no harm to anyone else, then I don't see one reason why I shouldn't smoke other than it's against the law. That's why I'm perfectly okay with breaking it.

If tomorrow congress passed a law abolishing percussion in any form for some bogus reason, would you seriously put down your sticks and mallets forever? Especially with the knowledge that drumming would not cause any harm to anyone and is something that brings you joy?

Phew, thank you for finally exiting the conversation though. Now the rest of us can talk about the glory that is ganja in peace.

Lol I rest my case.

There isn't much "debating" going on here anyways. Just a lot of mud-slinging from some mad pot-heads. "mental midget", "flawed points", "thank you for leaving".
Image


dallasfan12 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights
User avatar
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:11 pm
Location: Big Stone Gap, Va.

Re: Re:

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:33 am



TVOham wrote:
ayeyomaggots wrote:
TVOham wrote:That's too many responses from too many druggies for me to really spend time on.

Since none of you are using it for medical purposes I'll rest my case here and exit the conversation.

I will respond to one thing, and that is the claim that it is "within your rights" to smoke weed. Our rights are determined by the law, and the law says that without a prescription/marijuana card you cannot smoke weed and thus it is not in your rights.

Like I said, I wish I felt more passionately about this debate, but I don't care.
It's funny how you attack people once you leave a conversation like this. I guess you just can't stand being wrong for once.
What is even more funny is how you don't respond to other people's counterarguments to your flawed points.

I understand that laws are in place for a reason and should be followed. However, if me breaking the law by smoking weed causes no harm to anyone else, then I don't see one reason why I shouldn't smoke other than it's against the law. That's why I'm perfectly okay with breaking it.

If tomorrow congress passed a law abolishing percussion in any form for some bogus reason, would you seriously put down your sticks and mallets forever? Especially with the knowledge that drumming would not cause any harm to anyone and is something that brings you joy?

Phew, thank you for finally exiting the conversation though. Now the rest of us can talk about the glory that is ganja in peace.

Lol I rest my case.

There isn't much "debating" going on here anyways. Just a lot of mud-slinging from some mad pot-heads. "mental midget", "flawed points", "thank you for leaving".

+1
Image
Kaitou wrote:TAKE ME TO DIDDLEVILLE LEE CLARY
AHS marching band
'07-'08 - Bass
'08-'09 - Snare
PVHS Marching band
'09-'10 - Tenors
'10-'11 - Tenors
UHS Marching band
'11-'12 - Tenors
'12-'13 - Snare


Madjical Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1122
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:01 pm

Re:

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:37 am



I'm not super educated in the medical field, let alone marijuana, but I'll throw my $0.02 out there.

Cannabis, like many other substances, is rarely understood to it's full extent. You can throw out statistics all day about how it helps people, or hurts them. Labs are designed to do this. They can either be pro-cannabis or anti-cannabis, and they're going to supply the public with the details that they believe in. For example, if a research group finds benefits and drawbacks of cannabis, and they strongly believe in legalization, they are only going to focus on the benefits, and vice versa. It's because of this, that it's difficult to find reliable information on the dangers and benefits. Having said that, the government plays a large role in all of this.

There's more to it than just taxing the plant, there are many other factors. Cannabis isn't something that the government has done extensive testing on large groups, so naturally, they're probably concerned with all of the possible outcomes. Like anything else in the world, those who don't understand it, fear it. Legalizing something this huge would stir up a lot of controversey as well. It's not something where they can wave a magic wand and everyone is going to be compliant. Legalizing it would pose a few problems as well. History likes to repeat itself, and it seems that no matter what the government does, there will always be someone somewhere who needs to surpass them. Bullet resistant armor is invented; criminals create armor piercing rounds...alcohol is permitted; people create alcohol that isn't within legal limits. Now, this is just my own opinion, but if we were to legalize cannabis, then I'm sure someone somewhere would pump it up past legal limit and make it much stronger, much more unpredictable. Again, that's simply an opinion, and I know if I help a spot in congress, it would be a concern of mine. Another issue as already mentioned, is regulation. When the smoke clears, it all comes down to dollars and cents. So of course the government is going to try to peel as much money as they can, especially with the debt and economic state. In turn, they'll allow what they began allowing with food. Genetically alter it to grow faster, and in larger quantities. With that, I'm sure they'll try to water it down. Just another opinion.

But that's enough of the negative; I'll touch on the positives a bit.

Back to those labs that release results...sure, there are medical break throughs! That's fantastic! What genuine human would not want to watch his/her peers be healthy and happy? One that probably gets coal in their stocking. But that's neither here nor there. I'm sure there are multiple other benefits of the plant as far as the medical field goes, but being more of a mechanics/engineer, I'm a little bit in the dark as far medicine goes. I'll save myself the embarrassment and put my faith in the fact that there are a lot of medical benefits. Now, other benefits. I know hemp can be a hugeeeeee benefit. I'm only halfway through my cup of coffee, still kind of sleeping, so I'm not going to look up statistics, but I know hemp can be extremely cost effective and a viable replacement for multiple things. As far as personal benefits go, I'm for it. I used to be extremely against it, but after seeing different activities, events and educating myself a bit, my opinion has done a complete 180. If someone uses it for recreation, and they know how to handle themselves, situations, and are experienced, I do not see a problem with it. I would much rather deal with someone who is under the influence of cannabis than someone who is drunk. Alcohol removes all of your thought process at a certain point, and people become extremely difficult to deal with and be safe around. I've seen alcohol start fights, end beautiful relationships, end lives, put people in the hospital, and just instigate extremely poor conditions. Never have I encountered that with peers who use cannabis. Sure, the occasional guy may talk a lot more than I want to hear, and use the word "bro" wayyyyy too many times, but I'd much rather him be safe, mellow, and relaxed than trying to start a fight with the guy across the room. And that's just alcohol. As far as other substances go, cannabis should not even be compared to the powders and pills that people throw their lives away with.

When it comes down to it, I believe it would benefit us to legalize it, but I can see why there are so many concerns and conditions. I completely agree with why it should be legalized, but I know if I was a government employee, I would be terrified and want to put it through a long series of tests to make sure it is completely safe. Having said that, we're not in an economic prospering stage where we can take the time to do that. There are larger items on the agenda. Time management.

Perhaps one day, but for now, just keep to yourself and those that share similar opinions. Don't like it? Don't associate. Love it? Share your feelings with those that feel the same.

Note: I am not a user of cannabis or any other substance.


Madjical Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1122
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: What if Cannabis Cured Cancer?

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:43 am



Oh, and if it cured cancer too, that would be awesome. Nobody likes cancer. Not even cancer likes cancer.


sQuiGglyMuFflYWiGS Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes
User avatar
Posts: 441
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:25 am

Re: Re:

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:44 am



TVOham wrote:
ayeyomaggots wrote:
TVOham wrote:That's too many responses from too many druggies for me to really spend time on.

Since none of you are using it for medical purposes I'll rest my case here and exit the conversation.

I will respond to one thing, and that is the claim that it is "within your rights" to smoke weed. Our rights are determined by the law, and the law says that without a prescription/marijuana card you cannot smoke weed and thus it is not in your rights.

Like I said, I wish I felt more passionately about this debate, but I don't care.
It's funny how you attack people once you leave a conversation like this. I guess you just can't stand being wrong for once.
What is even more funny is how you don't respond to other people's counterarguments to your flawed points.

I understand that laws are in place for a reason and should be followed. However, if me breaking the law by smoking weed causes no harm to anyone else, then I don't see one reason why I shouldn't smoke other than it's against the law. That's why I'm perfectly okay with breaking it.

If tomorrow congress passed a law abolishing percussion in any form for some bogus reason, would you seriously put down your sticks and mallets forever? Especially with the knowledge that drumming would not cause any harm to anyone and is something that brings you joy?

Phew, thank you for finally exiting the conversation though. Now the rest of us can talk about the glory that is ganja in peace.

Lol I rest my case.

There isn't much "debating" going on here anyways. Just a lot of mud-slinging from some mad pot-heads. "mental midget", "flawed points", "thank you for leaving".
Mud slinging requires a direction I didn't direct that at anyone, so it was more of a mud sprinkler. Realistically it was just a indirect warning basically saying if you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen. I have no need to sling mud i need that junk to grow my pot.
Norristown Drumline
04-09: Bottom Bass/cymbals
United Percussion
2010-2012: Bass 5, 3, 2
Reading Buccaneers
2010: Bass 3
2013: Bass 1
Carolina Crown
2011: Bass 4
Imperial Dynasty
2013: Bass 3
Teal Sound
BassTech 7/9/2012


ayeyomaggots Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:36 pm

Re: Re:

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:11 am



TVOham wrote:
ayeyomaggots wrote:
TVOham wrote:That's too many responses from too many druggies for me to really spend time on.

Since none of you are using it for medical purposes I'll rest my case here and exit the conversation.

I will respond to one thing, and that is the claim that it is "within your rights" to smoke weed. Our rights are determined by the law, and the law says that without a prescription/marijuana card you cannot smoke weed and thus it is not in your rights.

Like I said, I wish I felt more passionately about this debate, but I don't care.
It's funny how you attack people once you leave a conversation like this. I guess you just can't stand being wrong for once.
What is even more funny is how you don't respond to other people's counterarguments to your flawed points.

I understand that laws are in place for a reason and should be followed. However, if me breaking the law by smoking weed causes no harm to anyone else, then I don't see one reason why I shouldn't smoke other than it's against the law. That's why I'm perfectly okay with breaking it.

If tomorrow congress passed a law abolishing percussion in any form for some bogus reason, would you seriously put down your sticks and mallets forever? Especially with the knowledge that drumming would not cause any harm to anyone and is something that brings you joy?

Phew, thank you for finally exiting the conversation though. Now the rest of us can talk about the glory that is ganja in peace.

Lol I rest my case.

There isn't much "debating" going on here anyways. Just a lot of mud-slinging from some mad pot-heads. "mental midget", "flawed points", "thank you for leaving".
And some mud-slinging from some mad former pot heads that did stupid stuff while they smoked.
How can you get mad about the phrase "flawed points"? You said some statements that I had a response to, and then you decided not to reply back to them for some reason.... Yet you continue to post in this thread. And I believe the mudslinging started with your phrase "druggies", so thanks for that.
Image
Lee clary wrote:Zelda is just a godly game and i love it play it every day i still have a N64 and a gamecube im hardcore for it.


DrummerOf2012 Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:07 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: What if Cannabis Cured Cancer?

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:05 pm



FROM A NON SMOKERS PERSPECTIVE

Honestly, I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT if cannabis cured cancer. Because then it would be legalized and we wouldn't have arguments like in recent posts occurring because people would be ALLOWED to smoke pot. You don't see half as many arguments over cigarettes than over weed, and cigarettes do a lot more damage comparing to the (if any) side effects of weed. The reason why there aren't as many arguments is because cigs are LEGAL. My views. Please be gentle ;)
Viral video with 5 snare drummers in kilts.
Army All-American Marching Band - 2012
TCI 2010 snareline "Censored"

University of Texas Percussion


lesterroyer Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1062
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:59 am
Location: Roeland Park, KS

Re: What if Cannabis Cured Cancer?

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:24 am



If it really cured cancer, then there would be a way to make it into a pill that wouldn't really give you the unneeded side effects. End of story. Using this to support your bad decisions is stupid. In my opinion, its immoral. It's partially what it does to you immediately, but more of what it does to you in the long term. I've seen super motivated people waste all their potential on pot. It's one of the worst things to ever see with your friends. Anyone that supports that lifestyle is not heading in the right direction. As for those few who can manage smoking and maintaining a healthy, motivated lifestyle while smoking on a frequent occasion, its like those that can handle drinking. I don't support either, but it doesn't bug me when I can't tell. thats what it comes down to.
Facebook.
Flickr
YouTube
SMN '08-'12
Gateway '13
Cascades '13
matthewson98 wrote:i was drunk after the parade where i am one of the drum corps and get party girls over when it's done.. so good to drink while marching! no one see it..


Madjical Offline
chops master
chops master
Posts: 1122
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: What if Cannabis Cured Cancer?

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:52 am



lesterroyer wrote:If it really cured cancer, then there would be a way to make it into a pill that wouldn't really give you the unneeded side effects. End of story. Using this to support your bad decisions is stupid. In my opinion, its immoral. It's partially what it does to you immediately, but more of what it does to you in the long term. I've seen super motivated people waste all their potential on pot. It's one of the worst things to ever see with your friends. Anyone that supports that lifestyle is not heading in the right direction. As for those few who can manage smoking and maintaining a healthy, motivated lifestyle while smoking on a frequent occasion, its like those that can handle drinking. I don't support either, but it doesn't bug me when I can't tell. thats what it comes down to.
I'm not super offended or thrown off by this statement, but it's fairly contradicting. I support it, but I am not a user. I'm currently working for an aerospace company and have an extremely promising future, working on a masters in aerospace engineering. Your statement is extremely bold to be generalized to that extent.

My friend is a cannabis user, who is currently out in California helping develop satellites, and attends a top ten university, and holds a steady 3.8+ every semester in Electrical Engineering. I have multiple friends who attend universities that range anywhere from top 10-50 in the nation, in all different fields, who are excelling and use cannabis regularly. At the university I attend, a few of my good friends use cannabis once a week, and all have 3.5+ GPA's and have extremely promising future's with internships and job offers. Personally, your argument is invalid and generalized to the public with no evidence or facts.

And to be honest, if it really cured cancer, it would most definitely not be made into a pill that wouldn't supply you with any unnecessary side effects. Medical companies make way to much money that help regulate the economy to give up that easy. Even if it did, it would have to go through years of testing before even being tested on human subjects, let alone being used on humans on a regular basis. It's not as easy as "this works, let's do some trial and error." These are people's lives, not a game. I'm sure you understand that, though.

More often than not, you won't be able to tell who uses it and who doesn't. Those who do use it are not always going to be unmotivated and lackadaisical. That's a common misconception that has been displayed in ads to make you think that it is the only effect. I've had extremely in depth discussions and debates with those who are under the influence of cannabis about string theory, relativity, and more recently, the higgs boson particle. All coherent, all presentable arguments, all reliable.

Once you've spent enough time around responsible users, it's easy to see that this substance isn't nearly as harmful as cigarettes, alcohol, or other illegal substances. I would much rather hold a conversation with one of my peers who is using cannabis than one who has been using alcohol.


Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 2 of 5 [ 102 posts ]





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum