discuss and debate ideas and issues in a respectful manner

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Re: Political parties

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:03 pm

tommyservo7 wrote:
I love how they handle media bias and elections in the UK. Newspapers openly endorse candidates instead of passive aggressively smearing one candidate and favoring another. There are no television ads, and the election cycle is only a few months long.

So much money and effort is wasted on campaigning-what could that money and effort have gone to that is actually good in this country? The President is currently spending up to five days a week campaigning for more money as opposed to actually running the country. Record amounts of money, mostly from the upper-upper class is flowing in on both sides-both candidates have to appease these people or else they lose money, and are out of the race. Money talks, and most of the country doesn't have enough money to whisper to these guys. It really is a shame
I play and teach music (sometimes even band music!)

I work in music tech and licensing.

Music is an art and positive energy.

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:22 pm

hotbeats645 wrote:
tommyservo7 wrote:
I love how they handle media bias and elections in the UK. Newspapers openly endorse candidates instead of passive aggressively smearing one candidate and favoring another. There are no television ads, and the election cycle is only a few months long.

So much money and effort is wasted on campaigning-what could that money and effort have gone to that is actually good in this country? The President is currently spending up to five days a week campaigning for more money as opposed to actually running the country. Record amounts of money, mostly from the upper-upper class is flowing in on both sides-both candidates have to appease these people or else they lose money, and are out of the race. Money talks, and most of the country doesn't have enough money to whisper to these guys. It really is a shame
I honestly think we need a constitutional amendment to address campaign finance and the "corporations are people" philosophy.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:33 pm

tommyservo7 wrote:
hotbeats645 wrote:
tommyservo7 wrote:

I honestly think we need a constitutional amendment to address campaign finance and the "corporations are people" philosophy.

that's what the article i posted a while back was talking about. but nope, I was being a hipster for posting it. I currently can't vote (canadian citizen) but I won't vote until the issue is addressed

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:47 pm

hotbeats645 wrote:
tommyservo7 wrote:
hotbeats645 wrote: So much money and effort is wasted on campaigning-what could that money and effort have gone to that is actually good in this country? The President is currently spending up to five days a week campaigning for more money as opposed to actually running the country. Record amounts of money, mostly from the upper-upper class is flowing in on both sides-both candidates have to appease these people or else they lose money, and are out of the race. Money talks, and most of the country doesn't have enough money to whisper to these guys. It really is a shame

that's what the article i posted a while back was talking about. but nope, I was being a hipster for posting it. I currently can't vote (canadian citizen) but I won't vote until the issue is addressed
I read a good amount of it just now. Every voter in the US should read that article.

The problem is that no amendment movement will ever gain steam without a truly beloved leader. A movement run by commoners like us can just be slandered and ignored by the news media. It wouldn't work with a politician like McCain or another "maverick" type. They need a Jon Stewart type who has broad appeal, loyal fans, and no real sense of political loyalty.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.

hotbeats645 Offline
Jeff Queen
Jeff Queen

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:48 pm

yeah man I wasn't kidding when I posted that. Thank goodness somebody finally took the time to read it.