Death Penalty?

discuss and debate ideas and issues in a respectful manner

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Kaitou Offline

Death Penalty?

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:30 pm

What are your opinions on it? When (if ever) should it apply?
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Re:

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:28 pm

this is the ONLY Conservative view I have...i am all for it!

I feel like anyone who willingly harms anyone else IN ANY WAY deserves a bullet to the head, end of story. No rehab, no second chances....ESPECIALLY if it is caught on some permanent recording medium. There should be NO SUCH THING as a second offense. . In this country, there is no more "fear" of this kind of violence...no respect for life. People don't think twice about being violent to get what the ywant because they know there will be no consequence for their action...Rehabilitation does not work..if it did, we would not have prison over crowding or repeat offenders. People will say that I am contradicting my self, but my view happens AFTER the initial act, explained by the sentence below

In my eyes, people that cross this line are no longer humans, so they lose all "Human rights". All acts of violence in this manner are pre-meditated. There is no such thing as an "accidental" rape, murder, etc.

Murder, rape, abuse of any kind includng animal, drunk driving, any thing negative done under the influence of any substance..all gone in my book.

Self-defense is the only exception because it usually means that the thing initiating the action is eliminated.

Once again, this is my opinion, and it will not change. If it makes me a cruel hearted *beep* than that is what I am. OOOHHH this has got me fired up...but 1991 SCV just came on the iTunes shuffle, so things are calming down...
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

Kaitou Offline

Re: Re:

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:33 pm

sxetnrdrmr wrote:this is the ONLY Conservative view I have...i am all for it!

I feel like anyone who willingly harms anyone else IN ANY WAY deserves a bullet to the head, end of story. No rehab, no second chances....ESPECIALLY if it is caught on some permanent recording medium. There should be NO SUCH THING as a second offense. . In this country, there is no more "fear" of this kind of violence...no respect for life. People don't think twice about being violent to get what the ywant because they know there will be no consequence for their action...Rehabilitation does not work..if it did, we would not have prison over crowding or repeat offenders. People will say that I am contradicting my self, but my view happens AFTER the initial act, explained by the sentence below

In my eyes, people that cross this line are no longer humans, so they lose all "Human rights". All acts of violence in this manner are pre-meditated. There is no such thing as an "accidental" rape, murder, etc.

Murder, rape, abuse of any kind includng animal, drunk driving, any thing negative done under the influence of any substance..all gone in my book.

Self-defense is the only exception because it usually means that the thing initiating the action is eliminated.

Once again, this is my opinion, and it will not change. If it makes me a cruel hearted *beep* than that is what I am. OOOHHH this has got me fired up...but 1991 SCV just came on the iTunes shuffle, so things are calming down...

I agree wholeheartedly. Giving murderers and child molesters these light prison sentences is a slap in the face to the loved ones of the victim.
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Re: Death Penalty?

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:35 pm

I strongly disagree with the death penalty.

I have very strong feelings about criminals. Many people think "only bad people get the death penalty" (disregarding the wrongly convicted, which there is always a chance for). I am of the opinion that there are no good people and there are no bad people. We are just people and we all do good things and bad things.

People that kill need help. Not death. People kill because of mental disease, and anger issues, and peer pressure.

Ted Kaczynski killed a lot of people because he felt that technology was taking over our lives (true), and knew no one was listening (true). He thought he would save us all by killing a few. When he was caught and his lawyers submitted an insanity plea, he fired them because he knew admitting to insanity would destroy his credibility. He didn't care if he was killed, because he saw himself as a martyr. My point isn't that I condone what he did. My point is that martyrdom is a value you in our society (if you don't think so at first, think about a soldier jumping on a grenade). He saw himself as a martyr. I don't think there's a mental disorder that goes with that, but nonetheless you can't ignore the fact that he thought he was doing a good thing.

I chose Kaczynski because his case is one I'm familiar with, and many terrorists (including jihadists) think along the same lines. My bigger point is that people who kill often have a distorted view of the consequences of their actions.

I know the feeling. I had a traumatic experience in my past in which I was sure, with the knowledge I had, that my actions would lead to a desired outcome. At the end I found out the premises I set out with were utterly wrong, and the result of the course of events I set in motion inflicted a very lasting damage on me. I sympathize because I understand how easy it is to be an good-willing person and to hurt people because you were wrong. It sucks because while other people think its your fault, you just feel like its no one's fault.

Anyway, yeah, long rant. tl;dr most criminals need our sympathy, not our wrath.

I also oppose life sentences. Bring on the "liberal scum" burns.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:43 pm

tommyservo7 wrote:I strongly disagree with the death penalty.

I have very strong feelings about criminals. Many people think "only bad people get the death penalty" (disregarding the wrongly convicted, which there is always a chance for). I am of the opinion that there are no good people and there are no bad people. We are just people and we all do good things and bad things.

People that kill need help. Not death. People kill because of mental disease, and anger issues, and peer pressure.

Ted Kaczynski killed a lot of people because he felt that technology was taking over our lives (true), and knew no one was listening (true). He thought he would save us all by killing a few. When he was caught and his lawyers submitted an insanity plea, he fired them because he knew admitting to insanity would destroy his credibility. He didn't care if he was killed, because he saw himself as a martyr. My point isn't that I condone what he did. My point is that martyrdom is a value you in our society (if you don't think so at first, think about a soldier jumping on a grenade). He saw himself as a martyr. I don't think there's a mental disorder that goes with that, but nonetheless you can't ignore the fact that he thought he was doing a good thing.

I chose Kaczynski because his case is one I'm familiar with, and many terrorists (including jihadists) think along the same lines. My bigger point is that people who kill often have a distorted view of the consequences of their actions.

I know the feeling. I had a traumatic experience in my past in which I was sure, with the knowledge I had, that my actions would lead to a desired outcome. At the end I found out the premises I set out with were utterly wrong, and the result of the course of events I set in motion inflicted a very lasting damage on me. I sympathize because I understand how easy it is to be an good-willing person and to hurt people because you were wrong. It sucks because while other people think its your fault, you just feel like its no one's fault.

There was recently a case in Knoxville TN that perfectly exemplifies the kind of person I would think deserves death
Channon Gail Christian, 21, and Hugh Christopher Newsom, Jr., 23, were a couple from Knoxville, Tennessee. They were raped, tortured and murdered after being kidnapped early on the morning of January 7, 2007. Their vehicle had been carjacked.[1][2] Five suspects were arrested and charged in the case. The grand jury indicted four of the suspects on counts of capital murder, robbery, kidnapping, rape and theft (a fifth was indicted on the federal level).

Of the four charged at the state level, three (Letalvis D. Cobbins, Lemaricus Davidson and George Thomas) had multiple prior felony convictions. After a jury trial, Lemaricus Davidson was sentenced to death by lethal injection and Letalvis Cobbins and George Thomas were sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. Vanessa Coleman has been convicted of facilitating the crimes and sentenced to 53 years in prison, and Eric Dewayne Boyd has been convicted of federal charges as accessory after the fact to carjacking and sentenced to 18 years in prison.[3] The state convictions have since been set aside because of misconduct by the presiding judge, who has since been disbarred; retrials (pending appeals in all except the Coleman case, whose retrial is not being contested) are currently slated for the summer and fall of 2012.
One of the bodies was found in the basement belonging to one of the murderers, they all admitted to being part of it, DNA evidence abound...people that commit acts this heinous deserve to die. How is this not their fault?
ImageImage

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:50 pm

Kaitou wrote:
tommyservo7 wrote:I strongly disagree with the death penalty.

There was recently a case in Knoxville TN that perfectly exemplifies the kind of person I would think deserves death
Channon Gail Christian, 21, and Hugh Christopher Newsom, Jr., 23, were a couple from Knoxville, Tennessee. They were raped, tortured and murdered after being kidnapped early on the morning of January 7, 2007. Their vehicle had been carjacked.[1][2] Five suspects were arrested and charged in the case. The grand jury indicted four of the suspects on counts of capital murder, robbery, kidnapping, rape and theft (a fifth was indicted on the federal level).

Of the four charged at the state level, three (Letalvis D. Cobbins, Lemaricus Davidson and George Thomas) had multiple prior felony convictions. After a jury trial, Lemaricus Davidson was sentenced to death by lethal injection and Letalvis Cobbins and George Thomas were sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. Vanessa Coleman has been convicted of facilitating the crimes and sentenced to 53 years in prison, and Eric Dewayne Boyd has been convicted of federal charges as accessory after the fact to carjacking and sentenced to 18 years in prison.[3] The state convictions have since been set aside because of misconduct by the presiding judge, who has since been disbarred; retrials (pending appeals in all except the Coleman case, whose retrial is not being contested) are currently slated for the summer and fall of 2012.
One of the bodies was found in the basement belonging to one of the murderers, they all admitted to being part of it, DNA evidence abound...people that commit acts this heinous deserve to die. How is this not their fault?
Let me ask you a question: Why do YOU think they did what they did? "They're scumbags/assholes/criminals/etc." is not an option.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:54 pm

I think they did it for the thrill..they did it to be utterly superior and completely in control of that couple. I think they wanted a power trip from it
ImageImage

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:57 pm

Kaitou wrote:I think they did it for the thrill..they did it to be utterly superior and completely in control of that couple. I think they wanted a power trip from it
And isn't that just sickening to you? It sure as hell is to me.

The fact that its not sickening to them makes me think that there's something seriously wrong with their brains. That means they need help. Not death.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP

petrolika Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:28 pm

death penalty for 3+ murders in a time frame of under 10 years.
otherwise it's a stupid idea, waste of time. Rehab is the best way to control a serious offender.
Les femmes françaises ne sont pas poilu, ils ont juste beaucoup d'ombre autour de leurs aisselles, qui donne aux gens la perception de la pilosité français.

yoshikinto Offline
chops master
chops master

Re:

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:46 pm

This is a tough issue. There are people in this world that we could do without. And if anyone I was close to was ever murdered or raped I could very possibly want whoever committed the crime to be dead. But even with that being said, I don't agree with the death penalty. I don't think it's affective as a preventative measure. The death penalty is reserved for people who commit very serious crimes. The people capable of committing those crimes cannot possibly be thinking correctly. Does the death penalty stop crazy people from being born? And in the end what does happens once someone is executed? None of the victims get any less murdered or any less raped. Maybe it could be argued that we need to make sure that murderers are never released back into the general public, I just don't think killing the killers is the best way to do that. I just feel like wanting the death penalty is a very emotional response, which is ok I guess. But I don't think it's ok for our laws to make this sort of extreme level of revenge ok. It's not about removing the threat, it's about making everyone else happy that some guy got what he deserved. I think it's one of those natural but barbaric parts of our human nature that it would be best to try and let go of.

Cascades: Snare '10

University of Washington: Tenors '10-'11

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:57 pm

tommyservo7 wrote:
Kaitou wrote:I think they did it for the thrill..they did it to be utterly superior and completely in control of that couple. I think they wanted a power trip from it

The fact that its not sickening to them makes me think that there's something seriously wrong with their brains. That means they need help. Not death.
It is absolutely sickening to me. However, they chose to do these horrible things. It was fully within their control to not do it. Pinning their choices on brain chemistry completely removes any aspect of free will from the equation. If one would argue that it is their brain, and therefore not their fault, what could be punished? Was Hitler that terrible of a person then? Or was it not his fault? Osama Bin Laden? That mentality moves the blame off of the individual. Any action or terrible thing could be justified like that.
ImageImage

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:49 pm

Kaitou wrote:
tommyservo7 wrote:

It is absolutely sickening to me. However, they chose to do these horrible things. It was fully within their control to not do it. Pinning their choices on brain chemistry completely removes any aspect of free will from the equation. If one would argue that it is their brain, and therefore not their fault, what could be punished? Was Hitler that terrible of a person then? Or was it not his fault? Osama Bin Laden? That mentality moves the blame off of the individual. Any action or terrible thing could be justified like that.
Well like I said before, I don't believe in good people and bad people. I stand by that.

Hitler was an artist who drew Walt Disney characters. He was denied from art school and later imprisoned. He was outcast early in life and came upon the means to quench his need for redeeming power (he was also a racist but its not like racism or the idea of killing people because of their race was strongly illegal in the 1930s (lynchings in the US didn't start to fade until the 1930s)) to an extreme. He bought into his own idea of saving Germany and started World War II.

Bin Laden warned the US he would take drastic action if the US did not get its hands out of Muslim affairs and stop terrorizing the Middle East. Obviously he retaliated strongly.

Many people do things they think are good which most people see as bad. Can you blame someone for killing when they think killing is the right thing to do? The fact that Hitler and Bin Laden thought killing innocents would further their causes is a serious mental issue, I think.

Here' some philosophy: you can't guarantee that humans have freewill. It can't be proved (unless we rip open space-time and figure out a way to explore the different possibilities of decision making). Its very likely that freewill is an idea manufactured by our complex brains, but that in the end it is brain chemistry that decides all of our actions. We are all the same, at the mercy of chemical reactions that we haven't the slightest control over. If this were the case, how could you punish people for random chemical reactions?

I don't know if I believe that. I'm up in the air on it. There's some evidence that suggests that the electrical impulse for an action is triggered before conscious thought of the action occurs, which would rule out true freewill.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:06 pm

tommyservo7 wrote:
Well like I said before, I don't believe in good people and bad people. I stand by that.

Hitler was an artist who drew Walt Disney characters. He was denied from art school and later imprisoned. He was outcast early in life and came upon the means to quench his need for redeeming power (he was also a racist but its not like racism or the idea of killing people because of their race was strongly illegal in the 1930s (lynchings in the US didn't start to fade until the 1930s)) to an extreme. He bought into his own idea of saving Germany and started World War II.

Bin Laden warned the US he would take drastic action if the US did not get its hands out of Muslim affairs and stop terrorizing the Middle East. Obviously he retaliated strongly.

Many people do things they think are good which most people see as bad. Can you blame someone for killing when they think killing is the right thing to do? The fact that Hitler and Bin Laden thought killing innocents would further their causes is a serious mental issue, I think.

Here' some philosophy: you can't guarantee that humans have freewill. It can't be proved (unless we rip open space-time and figure out a way to explore the different possibilities of decision making). Its very likely that freewill is an idea manufactured by our complex brains, but that in the end it is brain chemistry that decides all of our actions. We are all the same, at the mercy of chemical reactions that we haven't the slightest control over. If this were the case, how could you punish people for random chemical reactions?

I don't know if I believe that. I'm up in the air on it. There's some evidence that suggests that the electrical impulse for an action is triggered before conscious thought of the action occurs, which would rule out true freewill.
Then we shouldn't punish criminals at all...and what good would rehabilitation do if it is the individual's brain chemistry that decided their actions?
ImageImage

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:44 pm

Kaitou wrote:
tommyservo7 wrote:

Then we shouldn't punish criminals at all...and what good would rehabilitation do if it is the individual's brain chemistry that decided their actions?
Ummmm... because it works?

On an unrelated note, I've come to the conclusion that life imprisonment would be a worse punishment than the death sentence. If you're imprisoned for life, you get to live long enough to recover from your crimes without any hope for freedom.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:13 am

I agree that it is a worse punishment, but the prison systems are already overcrowded.
JOANNE FARYON (Host): Hello everyone. Welcome to this Envision special, "Life in Prison." About one in five of all inmates in California are serving life sentences. Combined, they could potentially cost taxpayers in this state $140 billion over the course of their sentences. Lifers are getting more expensive because they're aging in prison and rarely paroled. It's all adding up to record health care costs for inmates. Tonight, we explore the cost of California's tough on crime legislation. It's lead to so much overcrowding in state prisons the federal courts have stepped in.

You'll meet some lifers – men who were sent to prison when Lyndon B. Johnson was president and they're still there. This is not a report on whether they should be paroled – it is an examination of how much it costs to lock people up and rarely let them out. Especially when locking them up means you're responsible for their health care.

At first glance this could look like a nursing home. The wheelchairs and walkers have a way of fooling you. This is the California Medical Facility, one of California's 33 prisons. CMF operates the largest prison hospital. It is where many of the states old, sick and dying inmates will end up. And these days, those old and sick inmates are growing in number.

California faces a problem that touches nearly every aspect of society – from our economy to our safety to our health – one that forces us to take sides between punishment and redemption. We have too many men and women in our prisons. The statistics say so and so did a federal court in 2002.

There are 170,000 inmates in prisons that were built for 100,000. One in five serving life sentences.
Source: http://www.kpbs.org/videos/2010/jan/25/4653/

Further down in that article it talks about prison inmates getting surgery, healthcare, etc etc. One inmate discusses having major back surgery...on taxpayer dime.
There are about 35,000 lifers in California prisons. Using government statistics, KPBS calculated how much money the state pays to imprison inmates for a life sentence. If Inmate X is incarcerated at age 37, he costs taxpayers about $49,000 a year. But as he ages, his health care expenses will increase. At age 55, he could cost the state $150,000 a year. If he lives until he's 77, he will cost California taxpayers as much $4 million to keep him in prison for life.
How is this fair? Commit murder and you receive better care than some full fledged citizens do at tremendous expense. I'm aware keeping an inmate on death row is also incredibly expensive..and that much of the current death penalty policy I do disagree with. Keeping a convicted and proven (utterly proven..DNA evidence to where it is absolutely certain) criminal on death row for 15 years (death row inmates waited an average of 178 months (or close to 15 years) between sentencing and execution in 2010) is insulting and wasteful of resources as well.
ImageImage

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Re:

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:23 am

once again,

- if rehabilitation worked, there would be no repeat offenders
- there are more 10 time killers in jail than there are innocent or wrongly convicted people
- if counseling people with mental issues or chemical imbalances worked, there would be no copycat killings or repeat offenders; there would be no killings where the offender was motivated by fantasy or video games
- in the current system there is absolutely no fear of reprisal for these crimes BECAUSE the criminals know they can play the "mental imbalance card" and get away with it
- only a small percentage of killers don't know the difference between right and wrong...are truly numb to emotional feeling; killing/assault, and abuse of any kind are usually pre-meditated in some way and the person doing it KNOWS it is wrong becasue they feed off of the rush that they know they are doing something taboo
- I have studied crime, serial killing, gangs/hate crime and things like this all of my life. There are only a few cases where the killer was truly "not human", and didn't know right from wrong. All of the famous serial killers of the past 200 years knew EXACTLY what they were doing AND planned out the scenarios way in advance. They started with small things to push the limits, and then went further. To me, this is NOT the sign of someone with a bad brain
- history of neglect or abuse is NOT an excuse in this day and age. EVERYONE is bombarded with what is right or wrong in this age of mass communication. if these people were truly adversely effected by their mental imbalance, then they would not defend themselves against painful things...or getting caught by the police

Tommy, I am a bleeding heart liberal right with ya in the biggest way, so don't take this as an attack on you personally, but these are my arguments towards all of my lefty friends when we have this discussion. Yes, in a utopian world we could fix and deter everything with counseling and discussions, but in a utopian world, people would not be conditioned by everything in their society and culture to be selfish, greedy, lazy, materialistic, uncaring and violent.

And, for many of these people, life in prison is 1000 times better than life on the streets. That is another problem....prison is a pretty cushy place in America, Even with all of the horrific violence that goes on, it is still a cake walk compared to other places. Hell, our prisoners have a better life than some "free" people in the world. Prison should be a place that you fear to go...not just another option for 3 squares and a cot.

There are a TON of things that need to be fixed BEFORE capital punishment. What is frustrating is that some are real easy to fix. Others however are not.
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:38 am

I can't argue about things that I'm not passionate about, and this is one of those things. I'll simply state my view.

I believe in relative morality. Meaning morality relative to society. What was done 200 years ago that could have been considered completely moral, say stoning witches, is clearly immoral in modern society. But I think there are a few things that are never justifiable with time. They are what I call the universal "non-goodnesses". Murdering someone for enjoyment, and sexually assaulting someone both fall into this category, and personally I think you should be put to death for both of them. One less rotten-egg in society.

orangeyouglad Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:07 am

One the less thought of issues with the death penalty is who executes. They've been trying to improve how they kill os that it is not just one person responsible but it's usually not very practical. my view on this is that i think we should have te D.P. there are some people who even say if they were released they'd still continue committing crime and there are some terrible people in this world.

nasti Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:34 pm

While I don't agree with the death penalty, at this point in time there is no better way.
Rehab is an option and one I think should be used for people who commit serious crimes,
But did not kill. I also think these people need to be looked at, and not only the people who seem to have a mental illness, other things can cause a person to do strange things such as tumors on the brain.

As for people who kill I (although I dissagree with the death penalty) think its is one and done, I don't believe ANY person should Be able to take anothers life, I even have a hard time when I hear people/police say I shot him in self defense, why aim at the chest or head, why not there legs, feet (if they have a gun that's a different story). But I believe if you are a completely sane person and have no health problems that could have caused you to take a life, untill there is a better way, you should face the death penalty.

As for other serious crimes such as rape, I think the death penalty should never be used, while the crime is horrible, and the person needs to pay ( forever in a cell by them self with no contact??). In a way I think killing them is a bigger crime then what they committed. And in saying that I have a question.

What is the difference between premeditated murder and the death penalty??

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Re:

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:48 pm

One is committed in cold blood and the other is for the good of society.

nasti Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:31 pm

Not all murder is cold blooded,
And if killing a person is for the good of society ( which I do not completely agree with )
Why not not kill, the drug deals, the robbers , the car thief??

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:34 pm

nasti wrote:Not all murder is cold blooded,
And if killing a person is for the good of society ( which I do not completely agree with )
some of us think that we should kill the drug dealers, robbers and car thieves...these are usually gateways into other malicious crimes ...nip it in the bud as they say

Crimes of selfishness and ignorance should never be tolerated...ever!
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

lij2015 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:44 pm

Personally, leaving you to rot in prison is a worse punishment than just killing you straight off.
Dominion storm: 2011, 2012 Vibes/Marimba
James Madison University

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:19 am

nasti wrote:While I don't agree with the death penalty, at this point in time there is no better way.
Rehab is an option and one I think should be used for people who commit serious crimes,
But did not kill. I also think these people need to be looked at, and not only the people who seem to have a mental illness, other things can cause a person to do strange things such as tumors on the brain.

As for people who kill I (although I dissagree with the death penalty) think its is one and done, I don't believe ANY person should Be able to take anothers life, I even have a hard time when I hear people/police say I shot him in self defense, why aim at the chest or head, why not there legs, feet (if they have a gun that's a different story). But I believe if you are a completely sane person and have no health problems that could have caused you to take a life, untill there is a better way, you should face the death penalty.

As for other serious crimes such as rape, I think the death penalty should never be used, while the crime is horrible, and the person needs to pay ( forever in a cell by them self with no contact??). In a way I think killing them is a bigger crime then what they committed. And in saying that I have a question.

What is the difference between premeditated murder and the death penalty??
You don't believe in self-defense?..if someone comes at you with the intent to harm you or your family you are going to be concerned for the assailant's life?

I would only advocate the death penalty for cold blooded murder..not crimes of passion. I would be tempted in some cases of manslaughter (DUI ones mainly) though.

That *beep* that walked into the movie theater and killed a dozen people..he needs to be put down like a rabid animal...people like that are a perfect example of when the death penalty should be used. No need to string the damn trial out..no need for 10 years of appeals..he obviously did it and does not deserve to live.
ImageImage

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:24 am

nasti wrote:Not all murder is cold blooded,

Premeditated murder (the one you specified) is ALWAYS cold blooded.

Because drug dealers, robbers, and car thieves are not directly putting anyone else in physical danger. Your next argument will be "drug dealers put people in danger", but they don't put them in direct physical danger. A drug dealer doesn't pull the trigger. You have a choice whether or not to do drugs. If someone is a murderer or a rapist they are harming someone against their will.