Does Evolution disprove God's existence?

discuss and debate ideas and issues in a respectful manner

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Does Evolution disprove God's existence?

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:02 pm

If so, is that why Creationists are fighting so hard against it?

Personally, I don't think Evolution disproves the idea of a deity (although in my opinion many other philosophical points DO disprove it). However, I do think Evolution disproves the Christian God (and most other mainstream Religious deities). The biblical tree of life and the REAL tree of life suggested by the fossil record directly differ.

Thoughts?

lesterroyer Offline
chops master
chops master

Re: Does Evolution disprove God's existence?

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:50 pm

I completely agree with this.
Facebook.
Flickr
YouTube
SMN '08-'12
Gateway '13
Cascades '13
matthewson98 wrote:i was drunk after the parade where i am one of the drum corps and get party girls over when it's done.. so good to drink while marching! no one see it..

DiddledGinger Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:12 pm

Yes.

pablodurando Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:29 pm

No

Ryan Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:16 pm

Off topic, but I really, truly, honestly laugh out loud every time I read lesterroyer's signature quote. Everything about it just makes me giggle. Drunken parade forays and wayward party girls. All in broken English. Haha!

Evolution or creation, I love "being" a drum corps and then gettin' me some drunken party girls!

swissflamdrag Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:08 pm

am a believer and am in the same boat, I think they are two completely different things

I also believe that the Vatican has come out and said something about this, not sure where or when though
Northwest High School class of '12
Forte 2011 Snare

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:21 am

My problem with organized Religions is that they deny facts when the facts have potential to contradict their belief.

ExtensionChord Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:39 pm

Well.... I am a devout Christian. I do also beleive in science.... Evolution simply makes sense to me.... I do also beleive that there was creation somewhere along the line and stories from the Bible don't line up with stories from scientists. So what? that's my philosophy, who really cares? I focus on the future, accept the lessons and stories in the Bible, and also understand science. I don't get why people have to think things so 2 dimensionally.

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:27 pm

ExtensionChord wrote:Well.... I am a devout Christian. I do also beleive in science.... Evolution simply makes sense to me.... I do also beleive that there was creation somewhere along the line and stories from the Bible don't line up with stories from scientists. So what? that's my philosophy, who really cares? I focus on the future, accept the lessons and stories in the Bible, and also understand science. I don't get why people have to think things so 2 dimensionally.

Evolution doesn't disprove God.

However, it does make the idea of a God extremely unlikely considering how sloppy the process of Evolution is.

I also think it completely debunks biblical Creation, and since technically being a Christian means you must accept the bible at face value, I'd say it pretty much disproves the Christian Gods existence.

HHS_snare Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:26 pm

I do not believe so. I think that God and evolution can coexist when it comes to dealing with origin. As for a Christian point of view, I think most Christians need to take a step back and look at the Old Testament as a whole. Instead of a literal interpretation, I perceive the Old Testament as a sort of "Aesop's Fables" of why things came to be. I highly doubt that in 3100 BC people knew that we evolved because of natural selection. So as a result they came up with stories to explain it (just like in any other culture around the world). "Hey, why are we here?" "Umm.....welll...you see....[insert Adam and Eve story]." The same when dealing with morality "God didn't like mean people, so he flooded the world."
Hi I'm Jacques. I like drums. That's about it...

Facebook
Twitter
My Blog

zball75 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:50 am

HHS_snare wrote:I do not believe so. I think that God and evolution can coexist when it comes to dealing with origin. As for a Christian point of view, I think most Christians need to take a step back and look at the Old Testament as a whole. Instead of a literal interpretation, I perceive the Old Testament as a sort of "Aesop's Fables" of why things came to be. I highly doubt that in 3100 BC people knew that we evolved because of natural selection. So as a result they came up with stories to explain it (just like in any other culture around the world). "Hey, why are we here?" "Umm.....welll...you see....[insert Adam and Eve story]." The same when dealing with morality "God didn't like mean people, so he flooded the world."
^

DCHS Drumline
11-12 Snare
12-13 Snare
13-14 Snare
Youtube Channel
Twitter

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:40 pm

Not exactly... I myself am a Christian, and in most other religions, stories (like the bible, koran) aren't always taken literally. The gods we know of may not be the typical Adam-eve-Jesus gods. A diety/god could be out there, but we never really know for sure. You really can't prove it true or false. That's why it's called faith.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:36 pm

so i will preface this by saying that I grew up with mom being Lutheran, and dad being "pagan". I ended up being "pagan",(I hate that word though cause it is so misinterpreted any more), rooted in the Norse mythos , but have studied many religions in depth over the years of my search for spirituality.

To me, evolution has always been the creative process that the religious stories were talking about. It was not explained SCIENTIFICALLY until Darwin, and his predecessors through today. As I have always believed, the religious stories came about to explain natural things that could not be explained by the science OF THE TIME.

So to me Evolution IS the creation story - or "Gods Plan" for the Christians out there - it is all the same thing. Up until the mid 1800's it was "Adam and Eve" - the Genesis story or Adhulma licking the World Ice Flow to create the giants(Norse creation story), or whatever. Now it is Evolution.

WE are all arguing about whether the same thing is right or wrong...
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

Its' All about the Parking Lot - Watterson Drumline
www.bishopwattersondrumline.webs.com
OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

lij2015 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:12 pm

You can still argue that god created the things that evolved, you'd be fighting a losing battle, but it's still a little justifiable after evolution.
I'm not arguing that point at all bee tee dubs.
Dominion storm: 2011, 2012 Vibes/Marimba
James Madison University

Chance Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:20 am

sxetnrdrmr wrote: Up until the mid 1800's it was "Adam and Eve" - the Genesis story...
Oh I wish that was the case. We'll be doing a timeline of Earth's history with major geological and biological events in may in my Pre-AP Bio class, and one student asked me when I was telling them about this "Where will be put Adam and Eve?" She was completely serious.

That'll be fun....

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:43 am

Chance wrote:
sxetnrdrmr wrote: Up until the mid 1800's it was "Adam and Eve" - the Genesis story...
Oh I wish that was the case. We'll be doing a timeline of Earth's history with major geological and biological events in may in my Pre-AP Bio class, and one student asked me when I was telling them about this "Where will be put Adam and Eve?" She was completely serious.

That'll be fun....
well, to be more specific about what I wrote, I was meaning that up until Darwin et. al. creation theory was all still based in stories, not science.

And you could probably put Adam and Eve some where around Babylonian times since that is when the Old Testament was first put down...I think. Don't quote me on that though. My religious history is pretty rusty right now....

but yeah, it is sad to think that people believe that Adam and Eve were real people. It is just a story. A metaphor. It would be like me thinking that Odin, Loki, the Valkyries, Thor and all of the characters in my belief system were real. They are just embodiements of ideals - given human charactersitics - to make it easier to relate to.
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

sxetnrdrmr Offline

Re:

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:54 am

so here is another thing I was thinking about on this topic. Since God - or religion in general - is a creation of our brain, God could not have come about without evolution. Why? Our brains had to change via the evolutionary process to be able to think on the higher order that religion and god, come from. Millions of years ago, our brains were programed to do a couple of things...survive and procreate. "Religion", or the idea that something bigger than us is out there, is a very young thought process in the grand scheme of things.

So I guess when I think about it, Evolution is the REASON for Gods existence
Iv'e got sXe!!!!
NAATD!!!!
Up the Antix!!!!

ImageImage

OSUMB Tenor tech
Pearl
Zildjian
Innovative Percussion
Remo/Evans

wturner901 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:15 pm

The theory of evolution does not disprove God's existence, it disproves creationism, effectively ruining the majority of the perceptions and roles of God's/gods' role in religions.
hotbeats645 wrote:Lost my lady friend. But it wasn't anything emotionally serious. Two other really hot girls are interested in me. It doesn't seem fair to choose.

orangeyouglad Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:16 am

I'm catholic but i believe in evolution. the bible was a way of explaining the unexplainable back then. it doesnt disprove God. evolution explains how we got here, not why we are here. (philosophically speaking)

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Re: Re:

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:19 pm

orangeyouglad wrote:I'm catholic but i believe in evolution. the bible was a way of explaining the unexplainable back then. it doesnt disprove God. evolution explains how we got here, not why we are here. (philosophically speaking)

Evolution isn't a belief.

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:27 pm

TVOham wrote:
orangeyouglad wrote:I'm catholic but i believe in evolution. the bible was a way of explaining the unexplainable back then. it doesnt disprove God. evolution explains how we got here, not why we are here. (philosophically speaking)

That's really just being nitpicky. If he said "I don't believe in evolution," you'd have a point to make.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.

KJennings Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:02 pm

tommyservo7 wrote:
TVOham wrote:

That's really just being nitpicky. If he said "I don't believe in evolution," you'd have a point to make.
agree
DCI Open Class- 2006
DCI World Class- 2007, 2010, 2011
WGI World Class- 2011, 2012, 2013 (Snare Tech)
Image Image

TVOham Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:12 pm

tommyservo7 wrote:
TVOham wrote:

Actually I would say the same thing. Evolution isn't a belief.

In fact, I think I've said that before when people have said on this site "I don't believe in evolution". I know in every argument I get into with people who say "I don't believe in evolution" I say it. lol science isn't a belief system (at least not in the context that people use the word "believe" in today's society).

tommyservo7 Offline
MAN Chops
MAN Chops

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:57 pm

TVOham wrote:
tommyservo7 wrote:
TVOham wrote:

In fact, I think I've said that before when people have said on this site "I don't believe in evolution". I know in every argument I get into with people who say "I don't believe in evolution" I say it. lol science isn't a belief system (at least not in the context that people use the word "believe" in today's society).
I think you misread what KJ and I meant. The first guy said he does believe in evolution. There's really no point in correcting him.
Tom

2007-2011 OBFP
2011-2012 College in Indiana

Multi-pitched timp-tom tenor-scaled membranaphone for life.

KJennings Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:23 am

tommyservo7 wrote:
TVOham wrote:
tommyservo7 wrote: That's really just being nitpicky. If he said "I don't believe in evolution," you'd have a point to make.

I think you misread what KJ and I meant. The first guy said he does believe in evolution. There's really no point in correcting him.
Yeah, whether you permit his semantics or not, he stated that he's catholic which implies that he doesn't support or ~believe~ evolution, but he proceeded to say that he does support or ~believe~ it. It's just a way of saying something to get his situation or point across to you. Semantics shmelantics.
DCI Open Class- 2006
DCI World Class- 2007, 2010, 2011
WGI World Class- 2011, 2012, 2013 (Snare Tech)
Image Image