The Official Offworld Invader Thread

discuss and review drumming related products

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Kaitou Offline

Re: The Official Offworld Invader Thread

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:11 pm

Lee clary wrote:So finally the Scojo V3 has been released and i have ordered it.
That pad looks *beep* sexy..but not at all worth the price they're asking for it
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage

Lee clary Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:33 pm

Kaitou wrote:
Lee clary wrote:So finally the Scojo V3 has been released and i have ordered it.
That pad looks *beep* sexy..but not at all worth the price they're asking for it
Hey its christmas and i wanted it lol.
Famu Fall 17' 🤞🏼🐍🐍

Cubee Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:58 pm

VoteLobster wrote:
Kaitou wrote:One complaint about the rim..shots sound exactly the same as just hitting it..I had a freshman that could play book on his Invader and it would sound fine..put him on a drum and he missed every single shot..it can allow you to form some funky attack angles that leave you with nothing but rim on a drum..but still sounds the same on there

No idea how that could be done though
Yea I had that same problem when I first got it. It takes a few days to distinguish between a rimshot and just hitting the rim. Eventually I just got what it felt like under my hands. I play this pad for over an hour every day and still have awful accuracy as far as shots go.
Not exactly the best endorsement...
Q

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:35 pm

Cubee wrote:
VoteLobster wrote:
Kaitou wrote:One complaint about the rim..shots sound exactly the same as just hitting it..I had a freshman that could play book on his Invader and it would sound fine..put him on a drum and he missed every single shot..it can allow you to form some funky attack angles that leave you with nothing but rim on a drum..but still sounds the same on there

No idea how that could be done though
Yea I had that same problem when I first got it. It takes a few days to distinguish between a rimshot and just hitting the rim. Eventually I just got what it felt like under my hands. I play this pad for over an hour every day and still have awful accuracy as far as shots go.
Not exactly the best endorsement...
True, true... that was several months ago... But I think I've got shots now. I just haven't practiced correctly I guess. But it's way better than no rim.

By the way, has anyone tried their laminates at PASIC or NAMM? Are they good? I'd love to check those out.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

ajcf1995 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:34 pm

Does the rim cause more harm than good? or vice versa?
lesterroyer wrote: This comes second to setting my instructors truck on fire. I hated that guy.
jbohan6 wrote:Gotta play with some sack.
Mt. Vernon Highschool
"On Display"-Alto Sax 2010
"Defend The Shield"-Tenors 2012
"Heroes"-Tenors 2012-13 indoor

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:10 pm

ajcf1995 wrote:Does the rim cause more harm than good? or vice versa?
It's still a good thing..you just have to be careful you know what a shot should feel like or you'll cheat them all
TA67 wrote:She walked over to me and said "I formally request that you turn my body into a playground of lust and wonder, o burly man." To which I agreed. I laid her down on the desk, and well...we both got As for the entire semester as a result.
ImageImage

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:45 pm

Kaitou wrote:
ajcf1995 wrote:Does the rim cause more harm than good? or vice versa?
It's still a good thing..you just have to be careful you know what a shot should feel like or you'll cheat them all
Yeah. After playing around with a rimmed pad for a bit, you'll feel if you hit the shots or not. Because they virtually both sound the same, you have to be careful. You'll be able to feel what's wrong and what's right. That's really only a problem once you get it. Then you'll know. You don't get the immediate feedback that you do on an actual drum.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

mlust14 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:11 pm

new Vinyl/Mylar Laminate V3s are out
http://www.offworldpercussion.com/INVADER.html

and smaller user-applied ovals of same laminate
http://www.offworldpercussion.com/Skinz.html
Hilliard Bradley HS
2010 - 2013: Snare

Capital City Percussion (PIO)
2012: Snare
2013 - 2014: Cymbals

Kaitou Offline

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:43 pm

mlust14 wrote:new Vinyl/Mylar Laminate V3s are out
http://www.offworldpercussion.com/INVADER.html

and smaller user-applied ovals of same laminate
http://www.offworldpercussion.com/Skinz.html
Want
ImageImage

drummerboyonfire Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:09 pm

So are these V3s gonna be louder?
7th Regiment
Snare 14-15

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:52 am

drummerboyonfire wrote:So are these V3s gonna be louder?
Probably. It's a laminate. You'll lose a little sound quality on the low end, (as is a consequence with any laminate), but I'm excited as to what people will think of these.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

billc36 Offline

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:14 am

Saw them at PASIC. They look and play great. Maybe it was the noise in the hall, but I didn't see any noticeable difference in volume.

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

gorzy Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Are there going to be full sized laminates that are sold separately instead of just the tiny ones? It would be nice to get a fully laminated invader without having to buy a new one.

muthkw25 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:06 pm

I recieved my Invader v3 VML in the mail on Wednesday and I love the pad. I had a regular v3 and there is a difference in the overall sound quality. It is easier to hear and more articulate, especially at lower dynamics (3"). The surface is also slipper, allowing you to practice cross overs much easier and it doesn't require to be cleaned. If you are worried about the "volume" level of the pad, the regular invader is a little bit more quiet. Regardless, if you are playing "through" the pad like you should play on a drum, it's going to be loud regardless.

With how I have my marching snare tuned, the VML feels even closer to a real marching snare, in my opinion. In essence, I don't get to play on my snare all the time so instead, I play on the VML and in my opinion is the next greatest addition to Marching percussion and to Offworld's products.

honeybadger Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:59 pm

I tested out one of their new laminated pads and I have to say, The laminates don't make that much of a difference. Sure it's louder and more articulate, and the fact that you don't have to clean it makes it so much more convenient, but it's not really worth the $90 or whatever they're charging for it. The laminates look better in the picture than they do in person, because in the pictures they look 3-dimensional like a kevlar head is, while in reality it's just a flat piece of plastic placed over the surface. From the time that I've played on it there's not a noticeable difference in feel when compared to a regular invader pad.

I'm not saying this is a bad pad, because I still think that it feels and looks amazing. I just think that it's not worth the money to upgrade just for a cool looking laminate. You should definitely get it if you don't already own an invader pad, but if you already do own one, I suggest you stick with the darkmatter surface until it wears out before upgrading.
hi

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Re:

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:36 pm

honeybadger wrote:I tested out one of their new laminated pads and I have to say, The laminates don't make that much of a difference. Sure it's louder and more articulate, and the fact that you don't have to clean it makes it so much more convenient, but it's not really worth the $90 or whatever they're charging for it. The laminates look better in the picture than they do in person, because in the pictures they look 3-dimensional like a kevlar head is, while in reality it's just a flat piece of plastic placed over the surface. From the time that I've played on it there's not a noticeable difference in feel when compared to a regular invader pad.

I'm not saying this is a bad pad, because I still think that it feels and looks amazing. I just think that it's not worth the money to upgrade just for a cool looking laminate. You should definitely get it if you don't already own an invader pad, but if you already do own one, I suggest you stick with the darkmatter surface until it wears out before upgrading.
If you're worried about the price, keep in mind that they were just released, and when retailers (like Lonestar or Steve Weiss) start stocking on them, the price should fall. Give it a month or two... I bet they'll drop down to around $70 or so, just like the V3 did.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

drummerboyonfire Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:02 pm

I'll be getting one in May. hopefully as a gift. I can't wait.
7th Regiment
Snare 14-15

muthkw25 Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:50 pm

Just so everyone knows, the new VML pad is great but there is a problem. I have had mine for a month and there are cracks in the laminate or the VML surface. I emailed the company to see what they are going to do about it. If they aren't going to last, its not worth it, just stick with the V3.

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:39 pm

At $8 per patch, it might be worth it to simply cover the original Invader with several ovals to see if
you like the feel and sound. I have one at dead center. Might try this before ordering a new pad.
Glad I read this thread. Thanks guys.
Last edited by Spirit Snare 80 on Fri May 24, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Husband, Dad, Music Educator, Drummer

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:29 am

Moving on... I really want to get a small Outlander for portability. I could also go with the Stockpad, but you know... The Outlander's not made of tackboard.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18

Max Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:21 pm

I'm honestly pretty disappointed that the V3 VML cracks so easily. Even though you can get replacement laminate, it's just annoying to know that every time you play it it's breaking more and more. Other than that the pad is pretty fantastic, and there's still the Darkmatter base that is playable too. I just kind of wish I got the normal V3 instead.

drummerboyonfire Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:14 pm

Max wrote:I'm honestly pretty disappointed that the V3 VML cracks so easily. Even though you can get replacement laminate, it's just annoying to know that every time you play it it's breaking more and more. Other than that the pad is pretty fantastic, and there's still the Darkmatter base that is playable too. I just kind of wish I got the normal V3 instead.
I feel your pain. Can't wait to see if they are going to do a carbon fiber. That would fix the problem.
7th Regiment
Snare 14-15

Oroht Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:37 pm

So would you recommend the Scojo or the VML? Just went through the hassle of begging my parents for about a week to get the VML... Didn't hear a single bad thing about it. Now that I've ordered it; people have reasons why they don't like it...opinions?

The0utl@wDC51 Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:45 pm

Well, my vml pad has been excellent, but recently, the Mylar layer had been cracking up because I play it so often. I have vinyl patches to put over it, but I'm trying to find some assistance with maintenance on this thing. Is there anything I can do or should I just peel it off after a bit longer and clean off the dark matter and just use it?

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:38 am

A friend of mine bought a few VML ovals and gave me one. I've had it for a month or two and it's not cracking yet. Maybe I'm not practicing enough. We'll see.
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18