Pearl Air Frame vs Yamaha Randall May with tail,

discuss and review drumming related products

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

EG2802 Offline
noob
noob

Pearl Air Frame vs Yamaha Randall May with tail,

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:47 am

Hi buddies, im plannig on getting some new drums for the drumline of the school i teach and i wonder if all of you could help me to decide this.
There are many kids and i need to sell them the idea that carrying a drum doesn´t hurt to much

So i can get 2 combinations

Pearl Championship Maple line with Air Frames

Yamaha SFZ and field corps line with Randall May hinge mono, biposto?

Wich one is the best to avoid the hurt on the back of all the teens in the battery and wich one is the best sounding option

billc36 Offline

Re: Pearl Air Frame vs Yamaha Randall May with tail,

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:31 am

I prefer the sound of maple shells vs birch shells. So Pearl wins there...unless you special order maple from Yamaha and wait.

For carriers, I used to be a HUGE RM fan until Pearl came out with the Airframes. The Airframes are nice and light, they are comfortable on males and females and can adjust to any height player. I've also noticed that the tenors do t seem to droop as much anymore.

My posts are mine and mine alone.
They do not now or in the future represent any group, person (both living and dead) that I have been, am currently, or will be in the future associated with.

broken stick#17 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:09 am

I prefer yamahas over pearls, but the yamaha harnesses are kind of a pain to deal with.
CCHS Drumline
Snare - 2013-2015
Tenors - 2015-2017

DH Drumline
Cymbals - 2014
Snare - 2015

Aftermath Percussion
Snare - 2017

Reading Buccaneers
Snare - 2018

joe356 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:36 am

No carrier on the market is going to avoid back fatigue, and injury is far more closely related to body carriage than it is the equipment these days.

That said, there are a ton of moving parts in the May carriers, which in my experience is a no go for high school programs. The "seatbelt" on the airframe carriers serves a similar function to the "tail" on the may carriers in that it snugs the drum to the body, minimizing the lag between the body and the movement of the drum. The only added bonus to the "tail" is that if its set up correctly, it can encourage good posture, but frankly, I feel like it makes the performer a little too immobile. Its a great idea, but there are times and movements during which you want some flexibility in the posture and the carriage, and that's less possible with the "tail".

Just my experience. Others may have completely different input.

FlamburgerHelper Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:20 pm

A Local university to me plays Mapex which is contracted with Randall May, but the college uses Pearl airframes with the tilt attachment. Yamaha with Pearl hardware is an option if you prefer Yamaha shells, but I would personally go with the Championship Maple drums.

VoteLobster Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Re:

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:30 pm

broken stick#17 wrote:I prefer yamahas over pearls, but the yamaha harnesses are kind of a pain to deal with.
RM carriers with the whale tail are mad comfy in terms of weight distribution but a bitch to adjust. And the adjustments in the shoulders and contour hinge really have a tendency to loosen and sag...
Alex Douglass
MCDC 16, 17 PR 18