Homemade Marching Pads PART 2!!

discuss and review drumming related products

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

skywalker77799 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Homemade Marching Pads PART 2!!

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:01 pm

Hey all! So I'm back at making some sweet pads that I think turned out really well last time around. I didn't post pictures, but if you go to my profile on Instagram (myers.Luke) you can see both the hexagonal and shuttle pads :)

Okay, so... This new pad. Its going to be different. Its going to have... Wait for it...

SNARE SOUND!

Yes sir, I'm in the process of making a homemade (X) pad with snare sound. The specs (of what is planned at the moment) is 1" thick plywood (made of a 1/4" and 3/4" piece), 11" diameter, 9" diameter rubber on top (3/16" recycled rubber), with a rubber rim going around it (1/4" recycled). The bottom side will consist of a snare hole, using 4 screws, two metal plates, washers, nuts, and of course BBs, along with 9" diameter rubber (1/4" recycled) surrounding the hole.

I'm waiting on the rubber to come in, but once it does, i will have this pad sounding perfect and looking slick. I hope you guys actually read this and think it's cool lol... If not I would feel weird posting this stuff.

thelimper15 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Re: Homemade Marching Pads PART 2!!

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:17 pm

It sounds cool. ******* pads cost a load, so I can't afford one...anyways, around how much would making this pad cost?
MCHS Snare- 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
Gold Snare- 2017

skywalker77799 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:14 am

Well, I have extra plywood, contact cement, varnish, and got the rubber for free and the metal plates and screws from my dads job. But... I think it would cost about $30-$35 to make, but that's considering you buy only what you need. Realistically it would be about $50 because of the tub of glue and varnish.

So far I've put about $15 into this pad, and that's all I'll put in for it to be done. I only needed to Get the top 1/4" of wood and to order the rubber for the underside and neoprene mute for the snare sound.

thelimper15 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:53 pm

Thanks, man. I've made some pads before, and have thought about making one with a snare sound. $15 sounds a lot better than $100.
I think someone can cheat the system for saying (X) on here...
...How about: *******?
MCHS Snare- 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
Gold Snare- 2017

skywalker77799 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:20 pm

Yeah haha so.. All in one day I've done almost everything to finish it. I cut both pieces of wood, but I still need to sand down the edges since they aren't exactly lined up on the sides. Also, instead of using contact cement to glue the two wood pieces together my dad suggested screws, so after drilling and cutting a hole in the center of the 3/4" plywood for the bbs, I screwed the top on and then put four screws through it into the hole and slid a metal plate with holes in it down into the hole. The tightened it down and poured the bbs in, and then put the top plate on the has a makeshift handle to pull it out. I tightened it all up and made sure it was sturdy, and I used my rubber tipped Matt Savage X-Beats to play on the wood...

...it sounds super close to an (X). I feel that when my 3/16" rubber comes it will be extremely close. I already got my 1/4" rubber for the bottom, but I haven't glued it on yet. And I attempted to make a neoprene mute slip for the snare, but I have to adjust the rubber a little to fit easily.

Once my Beetle marching pad comes in in about a week (Bradley is sending me a sample sheet of rubber with my pad for free), I'll have my rubber for the top and it will be finished, unless I want to paint or lacquer it...

The_Drumline_Life Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re: Re:

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:44 pm

skywalker77799 wrote:Yeah haha so.. All in one day I've done almost everything to finish it. I cut both pieces of wood, but I still need to sand down the edges since they aren't exactly lined up on the sides. Also, instead of using contact cement to glue the two wood pieces together my dad suggested screws, so after drilling and cutting a hole in the center of the 3/4" plywood for the bbs, I screwed the top on and then put four screws through it into the hole and slid a metal plate with holes in it down into the hole. The tightened it down and poured the bbs in, and then put the top plate on the has a makeshift handle to pull it out. I tightened it all up and made sure it was sturdy, and I used my rubber tipped Matt Savage X-Beats to play on the wood...

...it sounds super close to an (X). I feel that when my 3/16" rubber comes it will be extremely close. I already got my 1/4" rubber for the bottom, but I haven't glued it on yet. And I attempted to make a neoprene mute slip for the snare, but I have to adjust the rubber a little to fit easily.

Once my Beetle marching pad comes in in about a week (Bradley is sending me a sample sheet of rubber with my pad for free), I'll have my rubber for the top and it will be finished, unless I want to paint or lacquer it...
ayyy! fellow bdl fan! I am going to get a beetle marching pad soon!
Image Mayonaisse is indeed an instrument

Anything I post represents, my, and only my personal beliefs, and does not speak for any group, or business, I am affiliated with, may be affiliated with in the future, or have been affiliated with in the past.

skywalker77799 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:59 am

Just got my Beetle pad today (it's totally amazing btw) along with my rubber for the top. This weekend I'll attempt to cut it and glue it and finish the pad :)

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:18 pm

So when will these be mass produced?
Husband, Dad, Music Educator, Drummer

playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:40 pm

Spirit Snare 80 wrote:So when will these be mass produced?
what do you mean? the basic design and production of a practice pad is as easy as grabbing a slab of wood from a hardware store, glue on preferred rubber and let it set for an hour or two... not really much to mass produce about them because most pads are the same with different branding

Anything I post represents, my, and only my personal beliefs, and does not speak for any group, or business, I am affiliated with, may be affiliated with in the future, or have been affiliated with in the past.

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:12 am

What do I mean? I mean when can we buy one of skywalker's pads.
I'm assuming he will sell a few of them if the first one works out.
Husband, Dad, Music Educator, Drummer

playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:07 am

Spirit Snare 80 wrote:What do I mean? I mean when can we buy one of skywalker's pads.
I'm assuming he will sell a few of them if the first one works out.
gotcha, I am sure if you talk to him on instagram (probably easier to reach him there) or pm him he will reply... hes a cool guy

skywalker77799 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:07 am

I've definitely thought about it :P I've sold a few to my Drumline friends, but I've never shipped anything so once I figure that out I could probably start selling a few :)

skywalker77799 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:51 am

Alright!!! So, I cut the rubber today and finished the pad. It has a really nice feel to it, and the rim I made on it feels good too. Once I adjust the snare sound just right it sounds awesome. Check out my Instagram Myers.Luke to see a short video.