Homemade Marching Pads

discuss and review drumming related products

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

skywalker77799 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Homemade Marching Pads

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:40 pm

Hey all! I just registered after using this account for a while to find music, and I felt like the first thing I should post is my homemade practice pads! They are almost done, I'm waiting for the gum rubber to come in the mail around Wednesday, but for now I'll tell you a little about it and when they're done I'll post another thread or reply (:

So I got some plywood 3/4" for free, cut out 3x 10" squares, and then cut them into octagons. I then sanded them down a bit to soften the edges. After, I made a 8" octagon inside of the "rim" with pencil so I could tape off the inside section for when the rubber (which is 1/8" on one side and 3/16" on the other) is glued. I then used some polyutherane or something of that sort and varnished the outer 1" and sides. Once the rubber comes I am using contact cement to bond everything.

They basically will be double sided hybrid VF Heavy Hitter pads, having the marching snare thickness 1/8" on one side and the slightly thicker 3/16" side also. I hope I can finish soon and show you all! Hope you'll enjoy my first post.

Until then,
Skywalker

The_Drumline_Life Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re: Homemade Marching Pads

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:53 pm

If I were you I would scratch the bottom side of the rubber (make slight grooves) and use wood glue. When you glue on the rubber lay it down from left to right or vise versa but dont just slap it down. If you roll it on it will decrease the possibility of any air bubbles under the surface. You will need to put a LOT of pressure onto the gum rubber and let it sit for a while when the glue is curing. I did something similar to this using vf drum mutes cut into tenor playing zones... It has little bounce so it helps with working chops for sweeps and creating dull strokes. Another good alternative for gum rubber is recycled car tire sheets... For me it feels better than gum rubber... It's an ecofriendly option too! Beetle Percussion (beetlepercussion.com)makes pads using recycled car tire, anyways good luck with the pad! :)
Image Mayonaisse is indeed an instrument

Anything I post represents, my, and only my personal beliefs, and does not speak for any group, or business, I am affiliated with, may be affiliated with in the future, or have been affiliated with in the past.

skywalker77799 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:08 am

The contact cement worked super well, no pressure was needed haha. But I have a lot of friends now asking for one made so I might just get tire rubber now! I've tried uploading pictures but haven't been able to, so when I get on my laptop I'll upload them. They sound and feel pretty similar to Heavy Hitters. I have extra rubber so I'm also making 5x13 "shuttle" pads like Offworld's

tchristoffersen Offline
noob
noob

Re: Homemade Marching Pads

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:35 am

Where did you get your rubber? I can't seem to find any good 1/8th inch stuff...

skywalker77799 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:34 am

I got the rubber from Grainger(.)com, they have a close facility and I was able to get 12x24 of 1/8 and 3/16 (each) for $42 including shipping, about $7-$8 per square foot, and $10 shipping. It was the fastest and most reliable supplier I found