Quads: Coated vs. Clear

discuss and review drumming related products

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

Do you prefer coated or clear heads?

Coated (Remo Suede Emperors/Evans MX White)
25%
Clear(Remo Pinstripe/Evans Corps Clear)
75%

Total votes: 12

littlesnareboy Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Quads: Coated vs. Clear

Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:56 am

Just wondering which you guys prefer: coated heads or clear heads? Lately I've been really liking the sound of the Remo Suede Emperors. Which do you guys like and why? And the heads provided were just examples, feel free to post those instead.

The_Drumline_Life Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Re:

Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:23 pm

littlesnareboy wrote:Just wondering which you guys prefer: coated heads or clear heads? Lately I've been really liking the sound of the Remo Suede Emperors. Which do you guys like and why? And the heads provided were just examples, feel free to post those instead.
I personally like coated because tenors sound really nice with overtones and they are also more durable but i LOVE remo pinstriped on drumset toms because of their punch
Image Mayonaisse is indeed an instrument

Anything I post represents, my, and only my personal beliefs, and does not speak for any group, or business, I am affiliated with, may be affiliated with in the future, or have been affiliated with in the past.

Snare Playa Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Re: Quads: Coated vs. Clear

Posted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:46 pm

We use pinstripes and I love the sound. People are pushing for the Evans next year, but I prefer the more muffled sound, especially because we have a relatively small drum line (4 bass, 2 quads, 3 snare). On my drumset, I also use the Pinstripes, but I actually prefer a more resonant sound for my genres; at the next opportunity I get, I'll be picking up Evans G2s for all.
Hey you, reading this; if you currently don't have a Snarescience account, please feel free to make one and join the conversation. It's free and only takes a minute!

HS
'14: Bass 3
'15: Snare

'18 Carolina Crown Hopeful

joe356 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Quads: Coated vs. Clear

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:48 pm

Completely depends on the show and the players. If I've got advanced players and the show calls for some dark sounds, I love a coated head. It can allow for some serious clarity to show through.