Favorite/Most Used Practice Pad

discuss and review drumming related products

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

What is your Favorite/Most Used Drum Pad?

Ahead S-Hoop
6%
Evans Realfeel
3%
Innovative Corps Pad
No votes
Offworld Invader
52%
Prologix Corps Pad
No votes
Vater Single/Double Sided
No votes
Vic Firth Single/Double Sided
3%
Vic Firth Slim/Stockpad
13%
OTHER
23%

Total votes: 31

tfox8 Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Favorite/Most Used Practice Pad

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:13 pm

Something I've been curious about lately. I haven't seen any polls on this topic. Feel free to give reasoning as to why!
Experience:
Middle School 2009-2010: Concert/Symphonic Percussion
Middle School 2011: Symphonic Section Leader
-
2012: LNHS Marimba and Xylophone
2013: LNHS Snare
2014: LNHS Snare (Center)
2015: LNHS Snare (Center)

-
2015: Heat Wave Center Tenor (Captain)
2016: Heat Wave Center Snare (Captain)

---
Orlando City Soccer Club Ruckus Drumline 2015 Alternate
Freelance Battery Tech/Arranger

DLineInspired11 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Re: Favorite/Most Used Practice Pad

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:49 pm

I've only owned/played on a RealFeel, Slimpad, and Offworld Invader (V2 and V3). My favorite of the three is the slimpad. I think that, for the price, the slimpad is the best pad for the marching snare drummer. I'll elaborate later, when I've put all my thoughts together.

Just a friendly reminder, we've been asked not to discuss (X)pads here. Please let me know if that's no longer the case lol

Sangerman Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:52 am

My favourite pad is my X pad from 2011, it was an iD but the laminate was cracking so I ripped it off after a couple years of having it and haven't looked back. I have a grey Vic pad I got yearssss ago I still have so I can stack, but the rubber feels pretty dead
BTTB Snare July '11 - '13
Blue Saints Snare '13
Pacific Crest '16

LilBuerck Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:14 pm

I got an evans realfeel for christmas my freshman year of high school. The gray side is stupidly bouncy, but it helps my ego out whenever Im feeling crappy and can really rip something out on it. I left it out on a drum at my high school once though and a bunch of kids wrote not family friendly things on it without my permission though, so i covered half of it with duct tape, and that actually gives a decent compliment to the rubber. the hard black "realistic" backside is what got me through my senior year of high school though. I put in so much time on that puppy i almost regret it (but not really). I got an X for my birthday though, and that thing is tight. I use it for my regular playing, but it still feels good to go back to old reliable sometimes

SteelSampson Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:23 pm

For me Real Feel gives me horrible pad hands, I remember after summer finally playing on a real drum again it felt like I had wasted hundreds of hours and had to learn my technique all over again.

I have been looking for the pad that people feel is the closest to the real thing, but people seem to be hesitant to voice an opinion. I suppose this could be because most people only use one or two pads.

LilBuerck Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:50 pm

SteelSampson wrote:For me Real Feel gives me horrible pad hands, I remember after summer finally playing on a real drum again it felt like I had wasted hundreds of hours and had to learn my technique all over again.

I have been looking for the pad that people feel is the closest to the real thing, but people seem to be hesitant to voice an opinion. I suppose this could be because most people only use one or two pads.
I think the pad closest is probably the X. I just enjoy the realfeel sometimes to change things up, but when im bein serious I like to go with the X. As anyone will tell you though, nothing beats an actual drum. anything not a drum will somehow give you padhands. that being said, having a pad with a rim is always convenient, and I think my reserve pad serves me well

littlesnareboy Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:12 am

Is anybody else excited for the new pads Innovative just released the other day? They look a lot like invaders, but hopefully they'll be a bit cheaper

Spirit Snare 80 Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:00 am

I have 7 practice pads including the "X", slim pad, stock pad, Vic grey rubber two sided old school, Vic grey two sided
newer version, an Invader, and an old Zildjian pad. Oh, I almost forgot the pad in my trunk. It's one of those pads you
strap to your knee. So a total of 8.

I have recently started using the large Vic 2-sided grey/black for all of my practicing. It's quieter in the house so my
wife and son can stand the sound, not to mention our 2 cats! Although I use the soft sided Vic for writing & practicing
licks, I always use the "X" pad for videos due to the clarity of sound and articulation.
Husband, Dad, Music Educator, Drummer

TheKingofNone Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:47 pm

If I could go back in time though, I'd probably just get an invader, as I'd have saved about $60, and a lot of time. Nothing wrong with a slimpad either, honestly, if you don't have the money.
You cant just 'hit' a drum; you have to beat the s*** out of it. ~Eric Cartman

GSUS '15

I'm that guy who says he'll try out for drum corps next year and never does.
But I'm totally gonna try to march Alliance this summer.

particleplatypus Offline
playin' eights
playin' eights

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:27 pm

Honestly I haven't been too picky; I used rockband drums to practice at the beginning. I own an Evans real feel and an X tenor pad. For a beginner, the real feel is pretty nice, the front for rebound control and the hard side for flams and articulation. I got my paradiddles blazing on that in a few days. The tenor pad is great, but the company was a hassle to deal with and I had to work to get it. For straight up learning techniques and rhythms, those slimpad/real feèl style pads are great for practice. I havent got really bad pad hands, just a little adapting. When I need to start working in more subtle nuances, I might get an invader, those feel pretty darn close to a snare.
GMHS '11 "The Sound of Music"
MHS '13 "The Pursuit of Hapiness"
MHS '14 "The Other Side of the Rainbow"

Snare Playa Offline
flam dragger
flam dragger

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:53 am

Realfeel for me (only because I can't afford to get a V3). I've never gotten bad pad hands from it like others have. I think its all a matter of how much rebound control you have. The more you have, the less your pad hands. So practice your diddles!
Hey you, reading this; if you currently don't have a Snarescience account, please feel free to make one and join the conversation. It's free and only takes a minute!

HS
'14: Bass 3
'15: Snare

'18 Carolina Crown Hopeful

hurt-a Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:34 pm

Snare Playa wrote:Realfeel for me (only because I can't afford to get a V3). I've never gotten bad pad hands from it like others have. I think its all a matter of how much rebound control you have. The more you have, the less your pad hands. So practice your diddles!
Pad hands are just an excuse for poor technique.
Legends DBC Front Ensemble
2013- Aux
2014- Vibraphone
2015- Marimba
Spirit Snare 80 wrote:Cowbell- "WHACK-WHACK-WHACK-WHACK"......Spaaaalat. "Cut!" Do it again!

Spiritsnare80 Offline
paradiddler
paradiddler

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:37 pm

Pad hands? No problem. I seldom play on a marching drum, so I welcome pad hands!
Whatever that is?

I do feel a big difference when I go from my usual gum rubber gray VF pad to the "X"
pad to make my videos. It does give me a bigger octane boost so to speak.

Wished VF still produced the big 2-sided gray vs black pad. The one now is smaller and
I find the gray side to be a lot less bouncey. Almost cheap feeling for lack of a better
description.

I use my Offworld to form the base on which to stack other pads. Not sure why that one
ended up that way. There was a time when the Offworld was my pad of choice.

Pads are funny things. If you have too many like I do, you can't stick with one for any
length of time because you waffle around from pad to pad in search of just the right rebound.
And when you think you've found it, you change your mind. Arrrrrgh!!!!

schorsquatch Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:40 am

I prefer to bust chops on the hopes and feelings of people who think the choice of practice pad is the most important decision they can make in becoming an effective percussionist.
hurt-a wrote:Pad hands are just an excuse for poor technique.
I disagree. A pad feels different than a drum, so the approach to it will affect technique. Its no different than having a sax player use a different reed, or a guitar player a different pick, or a pianist on a board with different weighted keys.
Spiritsnare80 wrote:Wished VF still produced the big 2-sided gray vs black pad. The one now is smaller and
I find the gray side to be a lot less bouncey. Almost cheap feeling for lack of a better
description.

I use my Offworld to form the base on which to stack other pads. Not sure why that one
ended up that way. There was a time when the Offworld was my pad of choice.
Ditto... the offworld has actually become my metronome holder. I have an ANCIENT vf(I think) pad... the small sized one. The material is so crapped out that it just soaks up the rebound. I usually practice with that pad stacked on top of one of the speakers of my Klipsch stereo system. IDK.. perfect height, good feel. Just like that perfect bowl of mac and cheese. Never as nice as a drum though.
Without a metronome its not drumming, its just hacking.

JohannFaithful Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:05 pm

(X) Reserve Corps pad. Most realistic, hands down.
Future Front Ensemble Member of Music City Drum & Bugle Corps