Evans Hybrid Snare Side Head

discuss and review drumming related products

Moderators: Kaitou, sxetnrdrmr, billc36, iDrum, Novak, PanasonicYouth

bowman4612 Offline
noob
noob

Evans Hybrid Snare Side Head

Posted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:28 pm

I was recently given a new Evans 14" snare side head. I have looked all over the internet and this forum in particular and have found mixed reviews and comments on it. One of the major concerns I have seem raised about it is the heads fibers biting into the shell of the drum under higher tension. Is this something that can actually occur? Aside from the possibility of drum damage does anyone have any experience using these heads? What can I expect for sound quality if I partner it with an Evans grey hybrid batter? No one seems to make content featuring the hybrid snare side so hopefully someone here will have an answer. Thanks everyone.

Here's a URL for specific reference of the head I am discussing:
http://evansdrumheads.com/EvProductDeta ... rid_Series_

ARZiehm Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re:

Posted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:58 pm

I think the issue with the head damaging bearing edges and such was only a problem with like one model of Pearl Snare drums (Carbonplys, I believe?) That's not to say it might not damage other drums, but I think that just stems from not taking proper care of the instrument/taking the tuning too far. I think it's also just the nature of the material - I want to say somewhere on the packaging it even says this head is intended for Low-Medium tension. It's not intended to be taken up super high.

Personally, I really like the head though. It provides a much warmer, full bodied sound in comparison to other heads. I think it's GREAT for smaller lines, since it gives the line a bigger sound without sacrificing resonance. That being said, it goes back to what you want the drum to sound like - If you prefer that super high, reefed sound, it's not the head for that, and I'd recommend the Evans MX5. If you want more of a characteristic snare sound, and more of a dark sound, as opposed to a bright one, it's great for that.

So basically, it's a quality drum head. Just depends on what sound you want, and making sure you're selecting the proper head to facilitate that. I will say that brighter is not always better... Always try to strike a good balance of articulation, and body. :)

bowman4612 Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:05 pm

Thank you for the information I had heard similar things in regard to the carbonply Pearls. Evidently mahogany was too soft a wood for the fibers as opposed to the maple seen in the standard Pearl drums. Going of what you said about sound it does seem like the hybrid head will not give me the high bright sound I prefer, I will have to try it out when I am seeking a more traditional sound. Thank you again for your help.

joe356 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Re:

Posted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:45 pm

bowman4612 wrote:Thank you for the information I had heard similar things in regard to the carbonply Pearls. Evidently mahogany was too soft a wood for the fibers as opposed to the maple seen in the standard Pearl drums. Going of what you said about sound it does seem like the hybrid head will not give me the high bright sound I prefer, I will have to try it out when I am seeking a more traditional sound. Thank you again for your help.

The Hybrid snare sides are designed to create the "best of both worlds" between a mylar bottom head sound, and a kevlar bottom head durability. Personally, I think they're way too wet, and don't allow the students the opportunity to hear any real clarity. I also like a lot of tone from the drum in order to get the sound to project, and that comes from a high pitched bottom head, which the hybrids can't withstand. I've been incredibly pleased with the MX-5. I keep the bottom head fairly high, and the top head low-ish for outdoor, and medium tension for indoor (depending on show, students etc).

I've found that my favorite combination is the Hybrid Gray tops, and the MX-5 bottoms.

bowman4612 Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:28 am

Seems like the Mx-5 would be my best bet then for getting the tone I'd like. My only head experience lies with Remo's so navigating all these hybrids and what not that Evans produces is pretty confusing. Do you know if the Mx-5 can generate a similar tone to the Remo Fallams II head? I've heard mixed accounts, most of the discussions either come down to asthetic preference, so it's really hard to tell how accurate these accounts are.

joe356 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Re:

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:49 am

bowman4612 wrote:Seems like the Mx-5 would be my best bet then for getting the tone I'd like. My only head experience lies with Remo's so navigating all these hybrids and what not that Evans produces is pretty confusing. Do you know if the Mx-5 can generate a similar tone to the Remo Fallams II head? I've heard mixed accounts, most of the discussions either come down to asthetic preference, so it's really hard to tell how accurate these accounts are.

I like the tone I get from the MX-5 better. If you tune them well, they produce a purer tone that really helps the drum carry to the box. The key is to get them completely clear from lug to lug. When that happens, they really sing.

bowman4612 Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:38 am

I will definitely have to give the MX-5 a try then. Thanks for the information Joe.

TheKingofNone Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Re: Evans Hybrid Snare Side Head

Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:02 pm

I tried putting on a drum, medium tension, with a Whitemax on top cranked (Yamaha sFz). Sounded fat, almost no snare sound... I personally hated the sound of it. But that's just my opinion.
You cant just 'hit' a drum; you have to beat the s*** out of it. ~Eric Cartman

GSUS '15

I'm that guy who says he'll try out for drum corps next year and never does.
But I'm totally gonna try to march Alliance this summer.

KJennings Offline
chops master
chops master

Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:42 pm

Mx-5 all day
DCI Open Class- 2006
DCI World Class- 2007, 2010, 2011
WGI World Class- 2011, 2012, 2013 (Snare Tech)
Image Image

joe356 Offline
ramming notes
ramming notes

Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:44 pm

KJennings wrote:Mx-5 all day

Seriously, may never use another bottom head ever. (until Evans comes up with some other new amazing thing)

Ethan Mccraw Offline
noob
noob

Re:

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:44 am

MX-5 sound beautiful.

FlamburgerHelper Offline
noob
noob

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:00 pm

My school has hybrid bottoms. We have a lot of durability issues with them since they are so thin. If you are going with Evans, get the Mx5. I personally prefer either a Remo Ebony snare side or a falams xt snare side.